Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I want to start running.
So I want to start running.
2008-04-13, 9:38 PM #1
And I was thinking I should ask around a bit before I go buy running shoes. Any particular recommendations? I want to make sure I start off right so I don't injure myself. I don't really know what to look for. Yep.

o.0
2008-04-13, 9:49 PM #2
i used to run a lot, had the nike air pegasus 2004. don't know if they are any good anymore though.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-04-13, 9:49 PM #3
Go to foot locker and try to get something with a lot of arch support and bounce in its step.

I just run in DC's though, so who am I to say anything :shrug:
D E A T H
2008-04-13, 9:55 PM #4
I want to run too. Maybe someone will rape me.
2008-04-13, 9:56 PM #5
Do better than footlocker. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes so they can measure you feet and get you a pair of shoes that fit properly.
Pissed Off?
2008-04-13, 10:04 PM #6
what kind of surface are you planning on running on? Track? Concrete? Dirt?
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-04-13, 10:29 PM #7
Road, beach (sand/rocks), dirt.. pretty much everything.

o.0
2008-04-13, 11:07 PM #8
Originally posted by NoESC:
i used to run a lot

YEAH RIGHT FATTY
:master::master::master:
2008-04-14, 1:32 AM #9
Yes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes. You want shoes that fit your feet well. You do NOT want improperly fitted shoes as it will lead to blistering and other foot problems. I've always been a fan of Asics but they're kind of top doller. Also they've fit my foot the best. I had some Adidas track spikes and they fit well too.

That said, your feet (and rest of you) will feel lit **** at first. Your feet aren't used to that pounding. You probably will develop some blistering. Start off low milage, 1 - 3 mi. Don't go off like a bat out of hell. If it takes you 25m, it takes you 25m. Get mileage first. Get used to running long distances consistantly, then work your way to getting faster and increasing your mileage.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-14, 1:53 AM #10
If there is a running track made with crumb rubber or something similar and as cushioning, I say go for it. Humans didn't adapt to running on flat, hard surfaces such as roads so doing so isn't the best.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-14, 3:49 AM #11
Except the veld is a fairly flat hard surface to run on. Running barefoot is meant to be better for you in some ways because you don't pound as hard when it's your own soles hitting the floor than when you've got some rubber to take the sting out of it, that and it's meant to be good for your posture, ankle strength and core muscles as your legs and body compensate for the terrain.
2008-04-14, 5:21 AM #12
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2064/1/ <-- This is an article on Running that my housemate wrote. Read it first, the shoes aren't AS important as proper technique. If you're clunking, if your heel is striking the ground first, if you're bouncing up and down a lot, this is bad. This is what will cause shin splints, knee and ankle pain, and a host of other injuries. You should be striking with the ball of the foot, then the heel. (Also, this doesn't mean you're reaching out with your legs. Your feet should strike more or less under your body, and then kick up behind you.)

As for specific stores, look for a Fleet Feet store. Before they sell you shoes, these stores will have you run on a treadmill, videotape and analyze your running technique and form, and then find the best shoe for you. Really top notch stores.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-04-14, 6:33 AM #13
Barefoot would be awesome, but I don't have the callous for that anymore. I've been a bad hippy wearing shoes. >_>

o.0
2008-04-14, 7:50 AM #14
Originally posted by Echoman:
If there is a running track made with crumb rubber or something similar and as cushioning, I say go for it. Humans didn't adapt to running on flat, hard surfaces such as roads so doing so isn't the best.

Yeah this too. Avoid concrete if possible. Run in the bike lane. Asphalt is softer than concrete. Find dirt trails if you can.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-14, 8:44 AM #15
Originally posted by happydud:
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2064/1/ <-- This is an article on Running that my housemate wrote. Read it first, the shoes aren't AS important as proper technique. If you're clunking, if your heel is striking the ground first, if you're bouncing up and down a lot, this is bad. This is what will cause shin splints, knee and ankle pain, and a host of other injuries. You should be striking with the ball of the foot, then the heel. (Also, this doesn't mean you're reaching out with your legs. Your feet should strike more or less under your body, and then kick up behind you.)

As for specific stores, look for a Fleet Feet store. Before they sell you shoes, these stores will have you run on a treadmill, videotape and analyze your running technique and form, and then find the best shoe for you. Really top notch stores.

Can you show videos of proper running technique? I just started and I'd like to be able to reduce any injuries if possible. So far I sometimes get back pain the day after and I figure that's from improper technique (well and the wrong shoes, but nothing I can do about that right now).
D E A T H
2008-04-14, 9:44 AM #16
Read the article I posted, look at the pictures, and then watch this video:

This is a really good video, it has a lot of footage and it goes through and explains it very well. Notice how ball-to-heel running doesn't mean your foot is crazy arched, it almost looks like you're landing flat on the whole foot (but not quite!)

Practicing barefoot running REALLY helps you get used to this technique. Practice in the grass, or on a track with socks on. Shoes, unfortunately, are the ruination of people's strides and walking/running technique. Run heel-to-toe without shoes on, and it freaking hurts. You're slamming your heel into the ground every step, and you can feel the shock all the way through your legs. Then shift to ball-to-heel, and feel the difference. Shoes encourage your foot to move differently, and it hides the full impact.

Many shoe companies have shoes designed by marketers, not scientists. That's why shoe companies are so focused on arch support, heel cushioning, and other things like that. Study Kenyans, pretty much the best runners in the world. When they are growing up and learning to run, what kind of shoes do they wear? Typically, none. This reinforces proper technique, so when they DO start using shoes, they are still using proper technique.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-04-14, 10:59 AM #17
Interesting, thanks for the info :)
D E A T H
2008-04-14, 11:40 AM #18
Dud, what about for distance running? I've always been told that landing on the heels is standard for distance running, and that's what I did when I used to run cross country.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-15, 8:58 PM #19
Just got back from running the way happydud explained (or his links, whatever).

Basically, it works. I can run farther, don't have nearly as much "dead"-ness in me when I'm done, but it works your calves a LOT more. But I can tell I was exercising the entire time, and can run farther and longer. Awesome.

Thanks dud :D
D E A T H
2008-04-15, 9:07 PM #20
mmm, that is a nice video dud.

Er.

That will be hard for me to get used to after doing marching band for 3 years. I'm used to moving around heels down, toes high.
2008-04-15, 9:09 PM #21
It was difficult, but I can see after a few more sessions this week I'll be able to blow through a couple miles jogging no problem. Before I had serious troubles going a mile and a half, had to kill myself to do it.
D E A T H
2008-04-15, 9:09 PM #22
Originally posted by Emon:
Dud, what about for distance running? I've always been told that landing on the heels is standard for distance running, and that's what I did when I used to run cross country.

For centuries, using leaches to cure disease was the standard. Did that make it right?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-04-15, 9:26 PM #23
Take a 3 iron, a 9 iron, and a putter, and run an eighteen hole course. I made it through 13 holes before I had to hitch a ride with the cheating cart drivers behind me.
2008-04-15, 9:43 PM #24
I think I'm going to just run around barefoot for awhile then, and pick up shoes after I know I'll keep it up. I'm about a 10 minute walk from the beach, I think I'll just run on the sand there, and the walk back on concrete will help build my callous up.

o.0
2008-04-15, 9:45 PM #25
Originally posted by Greenboy:
I think I'm going to just run around barefoot for awhile then, and pick up shoes after I know I'll keep it up. I'm about a 10 minute walk from the beach, I think I'll just run on the sand there, and the walk back on concrete will help build my callous up.

No offense, but running on sand is REALLY strenuous. A constantly shifting base you're trying to propel yourself off of is hard on you. Plus the cushioning from the sand may or may not mask you running incorrectly.

I'd find something more solid (like just some grass somewhere) if you could.
D E A T H
2008-04-15, 9:55 PM #26
Originally posted by happydud:
For centuries, using leaches to cure disease was the standard. Did that make it right?

No, I just assumed it was somehow better for long distance. Now that I think about it, it doesn't really make much sense.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-15, 9:58 PM #27
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
No offense, but running on sand is REALLY strenuous. A constantly shifting base you're trying to propel yourself off of is hard on you. Plus the cushioning from the sand may or may not mask you running incorrectly.

I'd find something more solid (like just some grass somewhere) if you could.

Yeah, but I like the beach. >_> It seems like if I run on sand it would be a better workout, due to to shifting. I dunno though. I'd get bored running around in a field.

o.0
2008-04-15, 9:58 PM #28
Isn't running barefoot kind of dangerous?
2008-04-15, 10:06 PM #29
beachs around here are clear of sharp stuff for the most part.

also i'm a hippy, i went barefoot all the time before discovering wool socks

o.0
2008-04-16, 5:58 AM #30
Running on sand is pretty bad for you for the reasons stated above. Grass is generally a better alternative.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-04-16, 6:28 AM #31
Plus a really good lightning strike will make some glass shards to make a decent splinter. Believe me, I know. Duds, that video informed me that I had been running correctly all these years. Thanks.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2008-04-16, 12:48 PM #32
Heres what I run in;

http://keith-in-training.blogspot.com/2007/03/running-in-vibram-five-fingers-sprint.html

these
with
these.

And sometimes these.

The fivefingers are perfect for working on technique, and they just feel so great. You get the benefit of running barefoot, but a greater amount of protection. I have gotten proficient enough with them, that I can run longer and longer distances in combat boots with proper form.

They are also great for weightlifting and water sports.

The Dean Karnazes insoles are better than the 200 dollar orthotics that are collecting dust in my closet. Support without making your shoe cushy. Soft, over supporting footwear will lead to injury in the long run. Read up on Dean, he is a bad ***.

I don't recommend running in boots unless you're a glutton for punishment or you have to.

Also, running on sand is great, if you are already conditioned enough to handle it. It strains all of those small stabilizer muscles in your joints. If you aren't an accomplished runner already, running in lose sand can really cause some aches and pains.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-04-16, 12:50 PM #33
Where can you get the five fingers?
D E A T H
2008-04-16, 12:52 PM #34
Those look effin ridiculous..
2008-04-16, 12:55 PM #35
The Five Fingers are SO. COOL. I really, really want a pair, but I don't know of anywhere nearby that sells them so i can try them on. You can get them online, but I'd rather try them on first..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-04-16, 1:03 PM #36
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Where can you get the five fingers?

My mom surprised me with them for my birthday. I know she got them off of some outdoor/camping website. Rock Creek or Travelcountry, I think.

I have been to REI with girlfriends to get some (they only had women's at the one near me) so you might see if there is one near you that has men's.

I guess I was lucky with mine fitting. If you find a site with a good return policy (like Zappos) it might be worth it to get some and send them back if they don't fit.

Here.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-04-16, 1:03 PM #37
The fivefingers look interesting, gonna see if I can find those. Seems like theyed have to fit perfectly or they would be really awkward.

o.0
2008-04-16, 1:23 PM #38
They do look ridiculous, but I want to try them
2008-04-16, 1:36 PM #39
Seem like they'd be great for running, but I would never wear them out :p
D E A T H
2008-04-16, 1:55 PM #40
Maybe the injinji socks will make it look better

↑ Up to the top!