Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Things that have lenses
Things that have lenses
2008-04-20, 3:01 PM #1
Hey, I'm going on a trip to the Yukon this summer and I'm trying to gather all of the gear that I'll need. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what to purchase.

The first is a camera. I'll be without electricity for about a month so digital is pretty well out of the picture. Therefore, I'm looking to buy an SLR. Maybe a Canon Rebel? I don't mind buying used, either. Preferably under $300 if that's possible.

I also need to buy a new pair of sunglasses. The specifications at this point are 100% UV and 95% infrared protection. If they can be polarized as well that would be good, but it's not necessary. I'd really rather not go over $100.

:D
2008-04-20, 3:07 PM #2
If you've never shot before, there is seriously no point in spending assloads on a new SLR.

Get a used Nikon.

The added bonus is that Nikon SLRs have been using the same lense interface for like 30 years. And as I recall, they'll work on a Nikon DSLR as well.

Also. I like nikon.
2008-04-20, 3:08 PM #3
$300 SLR 35mm Camera

I didn't buy this, but I've heard some good things about it. I might get it when I take Photography.

You can get it for less if you buy this Used.

For sunglasses, what are you looking for? I have something like this and they are good.
Back again
2008-04-20, 3:14 PM #4
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
$300 SLR 35mm Camera

I didn't buy this, but I've heard some good things about it. I might get it when I take Photography.

You can get it for less if you buy this Used.

For sunglasses, what are you looking for? I have something like this and they are good.

2008-04-20, 3:20 PM #5
The tricky part about finding the right glasses is having them with both the infrared and the uv protection... Appearance isn't the biggest issue at the point either.

Good point about the camera as well. I'm not well accustomed to taking pictures with film so I'd rather not spend buckets of money yet. I've had used nikons recommended to me before, too.
2008-04-20, 3:23 PM #6
You'll have to buy an non-electric, no auto focus SLR. I'd buy a pentax, because their lenses are forward compatible in case you want to get a DSLR at some point.
2008-04-20, 6:16 PM #7
sunglasses, digital cameras, phones, sunglasses, microscopes, telescopes, video cameras, film cameras, glasses.. oh wait...
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-20, 6:37 PM #8
One of my roommates has a hand crank flashlight that can also charge devices via standard plugs. Maybe you could just get something like that to charge the batteries.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-20, 9:23 PM #9
my father recommended something similar to that. That's another good option, since I already have a little easyshare digital camera that works well enough and I can easily take along 2-3 gigs of memory as apposed to rolls of film...

If I do get an slr, I'm counting on being able to bring along some extra batteries for things like auto-winding, etc.
2008-04-20, 10:23 PM #10
Once I remember seeing a device on woot that was solar powered and charged batteries
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-22, 6:55 PM #11
iirc, polarized lenses inherently block uv. if the glasses you get have some sort of coating on them they will almost always block 99% uv. make sure someone doesn't rip you off by selling you both (uv block and coating) because one will do both.
ask someone at a glasses shop about the polarization uv blocking thing.

↑ Up to the top!