Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you've seen Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo, then you may proceed in clicking.
If you've seen Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo, then you may proceed in clicking.
2004-08-07, 12:06 AM #1
Hi!
I've seen them both, and now I have it on DVD and I've watched it again. Now, something my sister spotted, and I, which made me think that Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo were made at roughly the same time, or they overlapped each other. While boo was showing Sully her room and toys, my sister noticed she picked up a Clown Fish toy. And, while I was watching, I noticed another Clown Fish toy inside the door where Randall was thrown through. If you want pictures, just shout!

/Edward

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Originally posted by Axis
JK warped my mind and JED split it.
</font>
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-08-07, 4:33 AM #2
That kind of thing is pretty common.

For example, the box art for Myst is hidden in Spelunx.

------------------
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
2004-08-07, 5:37 AM #3
Both the movies are made by Pixar. Not surprising.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-07, 5:48 AM #4
Yes, it's fairly apparent that they were being made by two seperate teams of animators. If not, it seems rather difficult to have released them so close together.
2004-08-07, 6:38 AM #5
wasn't Monsters Inc released before Ep2, and Finding Nemo released last year?

I recall a lot of people going to see Monsters Inc to see the Ep2 trailer.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-07, 6:46 AM #6
In the special features in Monsters, Inc. I think it says something about how all the toys in Boo's room are from other animated movies. Ah, here it is on IMDB.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0198781/trivia

"When Sulley is about to say goodbye to Boo, Boo is trying to get him to play. She hands him a Jessie doll from Toy Story 2 (1999) as well as Nemo The Clownfish from Finding Nemo (2003). The yellow ball with the red star on the floor is the ball from the Pixar animation, Luxo Jr. (1986)."

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-08-07, 7:56 AM #7
Hm... MI, 2001. FN, 2003... Hm... Sounds reasonable considering the time it takes to make a movie...

AHA!!! In which case, I saw a Sneek Preview of what their next move was... Bit late, eh?

/Edward
2004-08-07, 10:56 AM #8
I refuse to click on this thread...
oh wait...

WHAT HAVE I DONE!?!?!?!?!?

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-07, 7:11 PM #9
In Finding Nemo (in the dentist office maybe) there's a buzz lightyear toy by the toybox, Things like that are pretty common, disney cartoons have characters from other disney cartoons in them all the time.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-08-07, 7:24 PM #10
Ive seen all the mentioned things above, plus in the credits, Mike swims across in Finding Nemo. These things are very common in Pixar movies and others. In toy story, that Luxo Jr. ball is in it. Other stuff I have seen also. Its kinda cool actually when they do taht. In Toy story 2 when they are looking for the chicken commercial on the tv, if you slow it down, you can see the mer-maid from the snowman in the snowglobe short film. In the tank in the Dentist's office in Nemo, the sunken ship decoration also has the mer-maid on it. Lotsa stuff.There is a teddy bear on a shelf in Monster's Inc. I think its from another short film they made, but I am not sure. They do it alot. Theres prolly more too.

------------------
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
2004-08-07, 8:32 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RabidSavage1:
Ive seen all the mentioned things above, plus in the credits, Mike swims across in Finding Nemo. These things are very common in Pixar movies and others. In toy story, that Luxo Jr. ball is in it. Other stuff I have seen also. Its kinda cool actually when they do taht. In Toy story 2 when they are looking for the chicken commercial on the tv, if you slow it down, you can see the mer-maid from the snowman in the snowglobe short film. In the tank in the Dentist's office in Nemo, the sunken ship decoration also has the mer-maid on it. Lotsa stuff.There is a teddy bear on a shelf in Monster's Inc. I think its from another short film they made, but I am not sure. They do it alot. Theres prolly more too.

</font>

The snowglobe short film was awesome, even though they made it in the mid-'90s. The output is on par with what most amateurs can do today with retail software like Bryce or Maya.

I'd kill to get a copy of what they used to make Nemo (I think it was proprietary software like what Ice Age was built with)

I would even be happy to get a copy of Renderman that i could play with (which is what they used to make the
snowglobe animation)

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 07, 2004).]
2004-08-07, 8:41 PM #12
another thing: pro 3d movie artists have it waaaay too easy. They have powerful proprietary ray-trace software that does a lot and goes amazingly fast, and this is what really gets me-- they don't model stuff by hand by manipulating polygons in a modeling app like we do. They make physical 3d models of characters out of clay in a model studio, and they have devices that scan the model and generate the model in 3d-space. They put the model into the scanner field, run the scanner, and boom-- out pops an instant 3d model ready for animation.

Hell, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. That's what I plan to do eventually.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-08, 12:02 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
The snowglobe short film was awesome, even though they made it in the mid-'90s. The output is on par with what most amateurs can do today with retail software like Bryce or Maya.

I'd kill to get a copy of what they used to make Nemo (I think it was proprietary software like what Ice Age was built with)

I would even be happy to get a copy of Renderman that i could play with (which is what they used to make the
snowglobe animation)

</font>

Try 3D max.
2004-08-08, 1:53 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
another thing: pro 3d movie artists have it waaaay too easy. They have powerful proprietary ray-trace software that does a lot and goes amazingly fast, and this is what really gets me-- they don't model stuff by hand by manipulating polygons in a modeling app like we do. They make physical 3d models of characters out of clay in a model studio, and they have devices that scan the model and generate the model in 3d-space. They put the model into the scanner field, run the scanner, and boom-- out pops an instant 3d model ready for animation.

Hell, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. That's what I plan to do eventually.

</font>

Erm, more like they have a scanner pen, and they have to touch about 700 different spots on the model. Not exactly fun or easy work. Look at the Toy Story making of video sometime. They show them doing that to the piggy bank.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net

↑ Up to the top!