Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help the Jarhead pt 1
Help the Jarhead pt 1
2008-04-24, 4:28 PM #1
Alright guys, so since High School my computer savvy has slacked because of guns and sex and driving a zamboni. So I need help.

I know that this needs a 3.5" drive. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what size this is. I want a 1 TB drive in it, but I can't figure out if that will fit.

Help plz? kthnx.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-04-24, 4:34 PM #2
Wow, what an incredibly useless post. [it got deleted, avoiding confusion :o ]

The drive you're looking at will fit. Someone else can fill you in on SATA. As far as I know it's more or less the new standard, replacing IDE. I'm still mostly stuck in the stone age. My DVD burner is the only SATA drive in my new rig.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-04-24, 4:37 PM #3
Thanks pheonix, you have been most helpful.

TE, what do you think my name means?

Okay so I just searched the page again and found 3.5" this time. Admins, can you change title to "Make fun of the Jarhead Pt.I" ? KTHNX BAI
2008-04-24, 4:55 PM #4
the device you are looking at needs a PATA drive, PATA was originally called SATA until 2003 when the SATA we know now came out...

believe it or not that actually made sense to me...somehow.

Anyways, the drive you have got listed is the new SATA, small cable, not ribbon and will NOT be compatible with media enclosure thingy.

You are going to need a drive such as this one

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=303

they are normally just called IDE drives and the new ones called SATA drives, avoids the whole mix up of SATA / PATA etc...

as to where you are going to find a 1 TB IDE drive, well, I'll leave that task up to you.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-04-24, 5:07 PM #5
that little media device looks cool as hell!!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-24, 5:10 PM #6
Originally posted by James Bond:
the device you are looking at needs a PATA drive, PATA was originally called SATA until 2003 when the SATA we know now came out...

believe it or not that actually made sense to me...somehow.

Anyways, the drive you have got listed is the new SATA, small cable, not ribbon and will NOT be compatible with media enclosure thingy.

You are going to need a drive such as this one

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=303

they are normally just called IDE drives and the new ones called SATA drives, avoids the whole mix up of SATA / PATA etc...

as to where you are going to find a 1 TB IDE drive, well, I'll leave that task up to you.

Man now I am all confused. Supposedly people have tested it with "the Seagate and WD 1TB drives" with no problems. Whatever drives those are.
2008-04-24, 5:13 PM #7
what he is saying is you need an IDE hard drive, not a SATA drive like you originally posted
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-24, 5:22 PM #8
Oh dear god, there are two models with the same model name, and one needs SATA and one needs IDE.

see.

So that one will take this SATA WD one? SATA2 is the current SATA?
2008-04-24, 7:15 PM #9
This thread is worthless without
Attachment: 19135/jarhead02s.jpg (34,033 bytes)
2008-04-24, 7:26 PM #10
Originally posted by James Bond:

You mean PATA was called ATA until SATA came out.

Saying "IDE" to mean PATA is stupid because IDE means integrated drive electronics, so all drives are actually IDE. PATA and SATA are far better terms to use.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-24, 7:46 PM #11
Originally posted by Spook:
and driving a zamboni.

helping out the canadian troops?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-04-25, 6:29 AM #12
Originally posted by Emon:
You mean PATA was called ATA until SATA came out.

Saying "IDE" to mean PATA is stupid because IDE means integrated drive electronics, so all drives are actually IDE. PATA and SATA are far better terms to use.
I was quoting a wiki article at 2am in the morning, give me a break :P

as IDE meaning PATA, commonly (at least in the UK) all PATA drives are grouped into a category called IDE drives and listed as "IDE 50-150 GB" for example

All SATA drives are in a properly named group.

Don't ask me why they do this, I know it's wrong (for PATA drives at least), but that's just how it is and how I've come to remember it now.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-04-25, 6:07 PM #13
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
This thread is worthless without

Hey I look just like that.

So I'm gonna buy this and I will tell you guys how awesome it is.

↑ Up to the top!