Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post your sound system.
Post your sound system.
2008-04-26, 5:22 PM #1
I just bought a Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System which i absolutely love, The sub is amazingly powerfull for the price. Before that i had a ****ty usb headset. Whats you noise?
2008-04-26, 5:32 PM #2
i'm rocking some creative T-2900s

2.1 audio FTW

>.>
<.<
:(

of course for music it's foobar2k -> X-Fi (audio creation mode) -> modified META42 (headphone amp) -> Sennheiser HD580
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-04-26, 5:39 PM #3
The sound out of the logitech subwoofers was really muddy from what a saw a while back.

I bought a set of Art Lebedev Sonicums until I buy something better after the summer.

[http://techdigest.tv/sonicum-thumb.jpg]
nope.
2008-04-26, 5:41 PM #4
nothing at the moment besides my laptop's speakers
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-26, 5:47 PM #5
[http://www.wikidesign.co.uk/Geekanoids/uploaded_images/senn_px100_angle1-716383.jpg]
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-04-26, 6:26 PM #6
At home or at work?

Home: M-Audio BX5A's

[http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/bx5a_pics/bx5a.jpg]

Work: Soundcraft GB8:

[http://www.soundcraft.com/images/products/product_sheet/GB8.gif]

Pushing a DBX processing rack, into a little over 18 000 Watts of amplification into 12 subs and 8 full-frequency cabinets.
2008-04-26, 7:23 PM #7
Some Sony 5.1 tuner plus Magnat speakers.
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-04-26, 7:33 PM #8
Logitech Z640 5.1, run by an M-Audio Revolution 5.1
For headphones I just got Sennheiser HD555's

I'm considering replacing the Revolution 5.1 already though. I've only had it a few months. It puts out what I'd consider to be amazing sound, I just seem to have a ***** of a time dealing with their drivers and software. It looks powerful, yet is lacking in multiple areas. Most notably, is when I'm using my headphones now, bass is overpowering to an extreme, and I can't find ANY settings for turning it down that don't seem to just cut it out completely. I downloaded new drivers two weeks ago, installed them, and for some reason it decided system volume was no longer important. At all. The system could say everything was muted, but whatever the card said overruled everything else. I frankly find that unacceptable behavior, brief searches turned up nothing, reboots didn't fix it, so I gave up and reinstalled the old drivers.

I'm just not sure what to make of it anymore. It seems to be an amazing card, but I just can't get things set up so that I'm happy for more than a few days with the sound it's outputting. I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has the card or otherwise.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-04-26, 8:02 PM #9
E-MU 1212m soundcard
[http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5812/15759yp0.png]

Koss KSC35 headphones, notorious for being about $15 and sounding like they cost $80 :awesome:
[http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/783/ksc35tq0.jpg]

Or Beyerdynamic DT 880
[http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9310/dt880280rs3.jpg]

Or Etymotic ER-4P
[http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5600/l118584en8.jpg]

I also have a pair of Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers, but I don't really use them that much. When I do they are with my Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver which is currently being used in my living room on my roommate's speakers.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-26, 8:16 PM #10
I use a headset. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally waking up sleeping parents or others.

2008-04-26, 9:42 PM #11
I'm looking for a good 5.1 system, but for now its just laptop speakers.
Back again
2008-04-26, 9:50 PM #12
front
back
center
sub

it gets loud when i want it to
yay for not posting much ever
2008-04-26, 10:24 PM #13
Those are pretty dough martin.
Back again
2008-04-26, 10:50 PM #14
yeah, i saved up and bought the system piece by piece over the course of my high school years
now i'm in college in an apartment and can shake the walls of my neighbor's apartments if i want
... but i generally try not to, heh
2008-04-26, 11:01 PM #15
Do you make you're own music? At the moment I plan on keyboard lessons and buying an apogee duet. Well I first plan on getting a Nikon D80, so I have a long way to go.
Back again
2008-04-26, 11:14 PM #16
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Those are pretty dough martin.

I dunno, Sony tends to make bad speakers. Many electronics companies are bad at making speakers.
2008-04-26, 11:27 PM #17
I make music in my spare time
If you're gonna actually try and get semi serious about making music i'd reccomend some sort of studio monitor. I've got a pair of cheap rolands that i picked up back in the day. They work pretty well for what i do and make nice computer speakers.

My 5.1 system is hooked up to my home entertainment system (HDTV, Music, Xbox360, Wii) and its really better suited there than it would be in a recording environment. Although in HS I did have my computer hooked up to it and it was pretty sick. The conc rifle made my room shake.
2008-04-26, 11:41 PM #18
Originally posted by Emon:
I dunno, Sony tends to make bad speakers. Many electronics companies are bad at making speakers.

It gets the job done, and for the price its a pretty good system. I definitely have no complaints about it and everybody who's ever listened to it likes it.
2008-04-27, 11:41 AM #19
I bought the Logitech X-530 system, and I was too shocked by the sub. I really recommend the 530/540.
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2008-04-27, 11:48 AM #20
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer with Sennheiser HD555's.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-04-27, 1:12 PM #21
Darth Beyer(dynamics) DT 990 + amp
Attachment: 19145/0020110990_1699.jpg (88,515 bytes)
2008-04-27, 1:17 PM #22
DT-880's fed by a tube amp and a DAC or my Athena BS-1's fed by a receiver and a Squeezebox3.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-04-27, 1:39 PM #23
Anovis, those look freakinggg comfortable. Also, don't rooms get hot with amps in them?
Back again
2008-04-27, 1:52 PM #24
nakamichi receiver w/ 4 bose 201's and a powered klh sub.. great sound
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-27, 1:52 PM #25
headphone amps generally don't get hot... you don't need massive amounts of power to drive them

even tube based headphones amps won't generate any noticeable heat (unless you touch the tubes while it's running)
2008-04-27, 2:50 PM #26
I have a small USB DAC amp. It won't get hot.
2008-04-27, 2:52 PM #27
Saitek A200. It's a travel speaker, so it complements the laptop quite nicely. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the sound.
Attachment: 19146/saitek_a200_1.jpg (10,826 bytes)
2008-04-27, 3:31 PM #28
Originally posted by Anovis:
Darth Beyer(dynamics) DT 990 + amp

Why would you buy someone's Darth Beyers, or worse yet, have your own modified by (whatever his name is)? Does he do anything other than change the cable? Because cables are bunk.
2008-04-27, 7:27 PM #29
Why would you buy someone's Darth Beyers, or worse yet, have your own modified by (whatever his name is)? Does he do anything other than change the cable? Because cables are bunk.

He changes the cups to wood and closes the ports (though you can get an open version with optional lids as well). While aesthetically pleasing, I am skeptical as to how much it influences the sound. It is supposed to add a lot of bass, but I do not believe anyone has posted a frequency response graph to verify the claim. Most people claim to hear an improvement without using any quantifiable measurements.

The frequency response on the DT-880 is pretty flat; I would only use EQ to tweak the sound if I wanted it to be more "fun" or something to that effect.
2008-04-27, 7:50 PM #30
Originally posted by Malus:
I am skeptical as to how much it influences the sound.

I had the old 990s for a while. I can tell you with absolute certainty that closing the cups would make a difference in sound. Just cupping my hands over them made them sound different. The 990s have an odd "echo" like sound to them, it's weird. I think making them closed would solve that problem.

It is supposed to add a lot of bass, but I do not believe anyone has posted a frequency response graph to verify the claim.

No, I don't think it adds bass. I think it removes some weird resonance (or lack thereof, maybe), though. The cable job is BS and the cost is way too much to be justified. I'd sooner open them up and stick a layer of cardboard and foam against the grille, it would do just about the same thing.

The frequency response on the DT-880 is pretty flat; I would only use EQ to tweak the sound if I wanted it to be more "fun" or something to that effect.

Yeah, that's what I did. I like bass so I used digital EQ to add bass. I actually recently traded my DT 880s for Audio Technica AD1000s, which while nice, are inferior. They are worth more though, so I plan to sell them and make a little profit. I stopped using my 880s a while ago. Velour earpads cause itching on my head if my hair is anything but very short. :/
2008-04-27, 9:07 PM #31
I had the old 990s for a while. I can tell you with absolute certainty that closing the cups would make a difference in sound. Just cupping my hands over them made them sound different. The 990s have an odd "echo" like sound to them, it's weird. I think making them closed would solve that problem.

My Grados did the same thing; they would sound anemic if I put my hands over the ports.

No, I don't think it adds bass. I think it removes some weird resonance (or lack thereof, maybe), though.

When I put my hands over the ports on the DT-880's, it just sounds terrible. I would definitely not quantify it as an improvement in the bass. I suppose the acoustic properties of my hands are no match for those of wood. :saddowns:

The cable job is BS and the cost is way too much to be justified. I'd sooner open them up and stick a layer of cardboard and foam against the grille, it would do just about the same thing.

Yeah, especially considering that the cable it comes with is pretty nice. Larry uses these awful cloth sleeves that twist easily and introduce kinks in the wire. As for cutting down on the unwanted resonance, try using Blu-tack. It sticks to the inside of the cup, is easily removable, and works pretty well.

Yeah, that's what I did. I like bass so I used digital EQ to add bass. I actually recently traded my DT 880s for Audio Technica AD1000s, which while nice, are inferior. They are worth more though, so I plan to sell them and make a little profit. I stopped using my 880s a while ago. Velour earpads cause itching on my head if my hair is anything but very short. :/

Beyerdynamic also offers gel, pleather, and leather pads. I am using the clear gel pads right now. I find that they are comfortable and provide a pretty good seal, though your mileage may vary.
2008-04-27, 10:19 PM #32
When I put my hands over the ports on the DT-880's, it just sounds terrible.

Yeah, probably. I was talking about the DT 990s though (in case you were confused).

Beyerdynamic also offers gel, pleather, and leather pads. I am using the clear gel pads right now. I find that they are comfortable and provide a pretty good seal, though your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I found the pleather pads, but I can't find were to find real leather. That is without ordering a custom pair of headphones from them using the Manufacture gizmo on their site. Also what are the gel pads? Like that squishy gel they put in mousepads or bicycle seats?

I mostly sold the DT 880s because I found that the ER-4Ps were almost just as good, and better in some areas. For example, the highs and the detail in the ER-4s are better than probably any other headphone or speaker ever made. They are just beyond amazing. They lack bass, but respond well to equalization (they don't distort easily). For day-to-day listening the KSC35s are good enough. The 880s just weren't worth holding on to.
2008-04-27, 10:22 PM #33
Also, holy ****, Beyerdynamic is making some kickass gaming headsets now! It looks like they are using modified DT somethings with a mic. The Headzone thing has a surround sound DSP gizmo, too.
2008-04-27, 10:45 PM #34
Auzentech X-Mystique 7.1 PCI card w/ DDL
Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-04-28, 7:21 PM #35
Yeah, I found the pleather pads, but I can't find were to find real leather. That is without ordering a custom pair of headphones from them using the Manufacture gizmo on their site. Also what are the gel pads? Like that squishy gel they put in mousepads or bicycle seats?

I think its squishier than a mousepad or a bicycle seat. I'm not sure if this is the right page, but it has a list of the pads available:
http://shop.beyerdynamic-usa.com/aviation/accessories/
2008-04-28, 7:23 PM #36

What the hell are you talking about?
2008-04-28, 7:38 PM #37
Originally posted by Anovis:
What the hell are you talking about?

darth beyer is the name of a mod for various beyer models... apparently you thought it was a nickname that applied to stock beyer headphones
2008-04-29, 2:07 AM #38
I thought this was Darth Beyer.
Attachment: 19154/DarthBayer.jpg (87,253 bytes)
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-04-29, 6:21 AM #39
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
darth beyer is the name of a mod for various beyer models... apparently you thought it was a nickname that applied to stock beyer headphones

Oh. Yeah, it's my first pair of good quality headphones, and other people started calling it that.

↑ Up to the top!