Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [audio] wat?
[audio] wat?
2008-05-01, 10:35 PM #1
So... I'm having this annoying problem with my sound system... it makes the occasional pop and hum when nothing is being played, and when I AM playing something, the volume will occasionally spike.

I know that it isn't my sound card, as I have tested it with a different set of speakers with no problems. I tried replacing the fuse in my sub, but didn't help (even though I didn't notice the problem until a day after I had replaced it). I also tried moving my cords around to a better place, just in case it was interference from something (since everything is extremely cramped, lots of electronics crammed into one small space).

The sound system is a Altec Lansing 745, having 4 speakers and a subwoofer. As far as I can tell, the volume spikes happen in all four speakers. So... is my sub borked? :confused: :tfti:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-05-01, 10:51 PM #2
My wireless router causes my recording interface to make extra noise... try turning off your router and seeing if it happens?
2008-05-01, 10:54 PM #3
sounds like it's the sub

my creative set started with hum. then with spikes. try turning your volume knob to full capacity and then controlling the volume from your computer. fixed the spike problem but not the hum for me.

percussive maintenance fixed the hum for a while, then stopped doing the job, i just deal with it. cheap PC systems suck anyway, even if they're 5.1

oh yeah, just in case you're wondering. it's not interference. it's probably a small filter capacitor dying. or already dead. the system will still work. mine hummed for 3 years so far, and with the volume control all the way up, i saw no other odd stuff aside from the 60hz hum when nothing's playing.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-05-02, 6:38 AM #4
if you wiggle the cables on the back of the sub does it cause the noise to happen?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-02, 2:48 PM #5
Well, it's not the popping and humming sounds that bother me, its the volume spikes... and no, it doesn't make the noises when I wiggle the cables...

Also, I just tried turning the volume knob to full... still spikes. =/
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.

↑ Up to the top!