Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I watched No Country for Old Men...
So I watched No Country for Old Men...
2008-05-04, 12:53 PM #1
Shotgun ...silencer..?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-04, 1:15 PM #2
... is awesome. :awesome:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-05-04, 1:33 PM #3
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-05-04, 1:34 PM #4
It's still really loud.
2008-05-04, 1:35 PM #5
[Edit - I had a sarcastic remark typed up for TE, but I figure "duh" should be enough]

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/rifles.html
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-05-04, 1:43 PM #6
Well, that makes sense to have a silencer that large for a shotgun. And I do know that movies often exaggerate the effectiveness of silencers.

I guess it can be useful for testing a shotgun without waking the neighbors if said neighbors were a mile away. Can't think of any other use for it. I wonder if the shotgun silencer gets destroyed only after a few runs.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-04, 1:45 PM #7
Watched a "DVD" of it a few months ago. Didn't particularly care for it.
I *really* did not like the way Brolin's character dies. It just seemed...cheap.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-05-04, 2:41 PM #8
Everything about the movie was amazing. I honestly wouldn't have changed a thing except the CGI deer toward the beginning.
2008-05-04, 3:25 PM #9
[http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2870/oldmengm7.jpg]
2008-05-04, 4:44 PM #10
Thrawn, that was beautiful.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-05-05, 1:27 AM #11
I wasn't really interested in sseeing this movie, but on the recommendation of a friend I rented it and was blown away (lolpun?).

Shotgun silencer is totally sweet.
2008-05-05, 5:15 AM #12
Shotgun silencer makes me hesitant to watch this movie..
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-05-05, 7:18 AM #13
Why? It's awesome, and the movie is great.
2008-05-05, 7:25 AM #14
Because the concept of a "silent shotgun" strikes me as unbelievable and lame.
And if it's going to have that, who knows what other kind of lameness it might have.
2008-05-05, 7:33 AM #15
Haha, man... even though thats still loud, many people wouldn't think thats a gunshot sound from a good distance or through walls. (At least from what it sounds like on that video). Still... what good is a shotgun without the fear instilling *click click BAM*
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-05-05, 7:58 AM #16
It's an amazing movie. Forget the silenced shotgun.. Why does everything have to be 100% realistic to be fun? Suspend your disbelief.

(Besides the shotgun sounds amazing in the movie)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-05-05, 11:19 AM #17
Originally posted by Deadman:
And if it's going to have that, who knows what other kind of lameness it might have.

Yes, let's ignore:
A.) They're real
B.) Captive bolt pistol

Good call.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-05-05, 11:46 AM #18
Besides if you watch it and think its lame, then worst case scenario, you've lost 2 hours of your life. Or you can even stop it halfway through. Who cares? I don't understand people who refuse to watch movies because they don't think they'll like them...

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-05-05, 2:13 PM #19
Originally posted by Roach:
Yes, let's ignore:
A.) They're real

And work nothing like I've been told it does in the movie.
We covered that part already.
Thank you, it was indeed a good call.
2008-05-05, 2:15 PM #20
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Besides if you watch it and think its lame, then worst case scenario, you've lost 2 hours of your life. Or you can even stop it halfway through. Who cares? I don't understand people who refuse to watch movies because they don't think they'll like them...

Cuz I'm not going out of my way to watch something crap (not saying this is).
Hey, if it's on tv in front of me, I'll watch it, sure. But I'm not about to rush to the cinema's or video store to watch it.
2008-05-05, 2:38 PM #21
And work nothing like I've been told it does in the movie.
We covered that part already.
Thank you, it was indeed a good call.

No, they work exactly like it does in the movie. The sound is different in that video I posted because those kids don't have subsonic shotgun loads. So yes, good call indeed, I'm glad you can brush off an entire film because they got a suppressors sound effect off, just like every single movie with a suppressed firearm.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-05-05, 3:01 PM #22
Originally posted by gbk:
...I *really* did not like the way Brolin's character dies. It just seemed...cheap.

I share the same thoughts. Also, after that, you're kind of left hanging thinking, "Okay, now what?" Other than that, I really enjoyed it. Even the reflective ending was a nice change.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-05-05, 9:19 PM #23
numbarz that was genius.
Back again
2008-05-05, 10:31 PM #24
I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago on dvd.
I thought it was a pretty good movie. Chigurh is one freaky dude.
Only problem I have is the ending. Pretty unsatisfactory I thought. Seemed like it should have been different.... was just over, no resolution of any kind.
Just my 2cents.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2008-05-05, 10:47 PM #25
It's resolved if you look at the film in terms of good and evil and not in terms of characters. I know that sounds dumb, but Chigurh represents evil, and it's interesting to see how he acts in comparison to the supposedly 'good' character in the film.
Think while it's still legal.
2008-05-05, 10:57 PM #26
How is someone hired to do their job an "evil"? He was a hitman and hired to get money back.
Back again
2008-05-05, 11:23 PM #27
It was probably the random killing. Yeah...I'd have to say the killing.
Warhead[97]
2008-05-06, 12:48 AM #28
Originally posted by Roach:
No, they work exactly like it does in the movie. The sound is different in that video I posted because those kids don't have subsonic shotgun loads. So yes, good call indeed, I'm glad you can brush off an entire film because they got a suppressors sound effect off, just like every single movie with a suppressed firearm.

Geez man, I said hesitant over-react much?
2008-05-06, 7:16 AM #29
Love the MOVIE DEADMAN!

LOVE IT WE SAY!!!

:p

(srsly though, I understand where you're coming from. I have a friend though that refuses to watch a movie because he's already decided he won't like it. We used to be roommates, and even after I'd already rented the movie, he would leave the room cause the movie "didn't interest him." And I'd be like, "Come on at least watch part of it." and he'd be like "No. I'm not interested in that movie."

So basically he'd go out of his way to avoid watching movies.. That's what I don't understand. Now if you're just not gonna rent it, then that's your choice. Though, I think you're miss out on a GREAT film.

2008-05-06, 8:54 AM #30
I'm becoming something of a film junkie... and all the films I like are always rated really well on IMDB and are often phenomenal works of art, but none of my friends a) have heard of them b) will be convinced to watch them because they're not new. :rolleyes:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-05-06, 10:06 AM #31
Geez man, I said hesitant over-react much?

Yes, yes you did. Then you went on to say such a concept was lame. My "over-reaction" is a response to your thinking that concept is lame.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-05-06, 2:07 PM #32
So you decided that if I thought a particular aspect of something was lame then I would write off an entire movie and ever film with silencers? Yeah, over-reaction.

Sarn, I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid watching a film if I think it won't be that good, that would be idiotic. But at the same time I'm not going out of my way to watch same film.
Though I see I am wrong about the shotgun stuff... still, I haven't really heard anything that compels me to watch it.
2008-05-06, 2:12 PM #33

You're right, that second sentence doesn't sound like a write-off at all.

[Edit - Um, I didn't say you had written off all films with suppressors, I said every movie with suppressed fire arms has unrealistic sound effects.]
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-05-06, 2:20 PM #34
Good, because it isn't.
It's just saying it could have more lameness in it.
2008-05-06, 11:07 PM #35
still, I haven't really heard anything that compels me to watch it.

I hadn't either, other than my friend saying "you have to see this movie."

I don't even know what to say exactly about it, but the bottom line is that it's one of those movies you really should see. Sure, there's a chance you might not like it, but I'd say more than likely you'll enjoy it.

If you're willing to wait two or three years for it to be on TV or whatever, then fine, but I think it's more than worth renting it. Right now. DO IT.
2008-05-07, 12:29 AM #36
Hmm, I have to say you do make a good point there Vin, I'll see if my friend has it.
2008-05-07, 4:37 AM #37
dude i'm jin not vin what the hell
2008-05-07, 1:57 PM #38
Sorry, typo, I honestly meant Jin
2008-05-09, 5:24 AM #39
saw it in cinema tommy lee jones face craggy was good but the more i reflected the more i disliked the film because it took itself too seriously
2008-05-09, 6:14 AM #40
that's soooo not even true.

Look at the dialogue between the guy that finds the money and his wife.

Carla Jean: What's in the satchel?
Moss: It's full of money.
Carla Jean: That'll be the day. ...Where'd you get the pistol?
Moss: At the gettin place.
Carla Jean: Did you buy that gun?
Moss: No. I found it.
Carla Jean: Llewelyn!
Moss: What? Quit hollerin.
Carla Jean: What'd you give for that thing
Moss: You don't need to know everything, Carla Jean.
Carla Jean: I need to know that.
Moss: You keep running that mouth I'm gonna take you in the back and screw you.
Carla Jean: Big talk.
Moss: Just keep it up.
Carla Jean: Fine. I don't wanna know. I don't even wanna know where you been all day.
Moss: That'll work.

↑ Up to the top!