Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is eating my life
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is eating my life
2008-05-04, 7:34 PM #1
What a good game! I'd been curious about it for a while, but only now, during finals period, have I finally discovered it for real.

I'm not too far in the game, I suppose... I finished up in the X16 lab (the second one) and found Ghost's corpse, but being an idiot and thinking I had a better suit of armor, I sold Ghost's full body suit to the Barkeeper. Only now, when I need to cross into a radioactive zone to destroy the Brain Scorcher, do I realize the error of my ways -- unfortunately, a new full body suit to protect me from radiation costs 48,000 rubles or whatever. I only have 28,000. :gbk:

Does anyone know how to make money fast in this game? Or maybe, should I search stashes with the hopes of finding a suit? I was bored at one point so I went renegade and killed the leader of Duty and everyone in the Duty outpost, so whenever they respawn, I have a steady stream of weapons to sell, but they don't go for much at the Bar. There must be a faster way to get enough money to pay for my lack of foresight. d'oh
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-05-04, 7:46 PM #2
Anyone feel a bit sad that there won't be a FPS like STALKER for awhile now? Despite the game's bugs, some design issues and occasionally frustrating gun combat, STALKER was one of the few games that felt like being a part of a living, breathing world. I felt the game was unappreciated for what it was really worth, especially combining gun gameplay with solid RPG aspects in a believable open environment settings (Bioshock doesn't count, dammit). Maybe in reality the game wasn't successful financially or it takes to much work to get a similar model working, it seems the game industry is too cozy with linear A to B content or focus so damn much on multiplayer. Nothing really terribly wrong with linearity, but I just wish another FPS can look at STALKER's formula and find ways to improve it further. I'm not sure if GTA shares the same category...

I almost wish there were terms like "STALKER clones" instead of "Halo clones". Hard to find good PC-focused developed games anymore, it's all about consoles.

sorry for the brief rant
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-04, 7:48 PM #3
i never had to buy much in that game. most of the good suits i have are from stashes. IIRC there are a couple suits right before going underground to the brain scorcher; also on the way to the brain scorcher there are just some big spots of radiation, just run through them as best you can.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-05-04, 7:54 PM #4
I thought it sucked and was boring :/

The Doom-like parts were pretty rad though.
2008-05-04, 9:19 PM #5
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Anyone feel a bit sad that there won't be a FPS like STALKER for awhile now?
You do realize there's a sequel (or prequel, or whatever) coming in August, right?
2008-05-04, 9:30 PM #6
Yeah, I really didn't like it at all. The bugs were game-breaking, and the little that I did get to experience felt disconnected, and a lot like work.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-05, 12:47 AM #7
Yeah buggy but fun, as for the Rad Suit, if memory serves theres a decent one near the exit from Military Warehouse (in a bag by a cross if I remember, but its been a long time) 90% radiation should be fine.
2008-05-05, 12:52 AM #8
In retrospect I thought the game was a bit fun, unpolished as hell but worth getting anyhow... ...

... ... for 5 bucks at max.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-05, 2:44 AM #9
It's Trespasser.
2008-05-05, 3:46 AM #10
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

Money isn't really a concern in the unmodded game, since you can load yourself up with seventeen AKs and dump 'em off at Barkeep.

I liked it, though. Some of the user mods add quite a lot of extra stuff into the game. I just hope Clear Sky is slightly less buggy.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-05-05, 5:19 AM #11
I liked it - I think I'm almost done...I've been working too much to play a lot lately, though.
woot!
2008-05-05, 7:24 AM #12
I really liked the game. I only encountered trivial bugs but I didn't think any of them detracted from what made the game great. Atmosphere was awesome, gunfights were fun, and underground stuff was creepy as hell.
2008-05-05, 9:12 AM #13
Gonna end up reinstalling this I bet.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-05-05, 5:41 PM #14
Aaaand... the games cafe deleted my savegames. They do this randomly every once in a while. x_X

Now I'm playing Assassin's Creed, which is really awesome IMO so far (I'm only on my third assassination). Hopefully I can beat this before they delete my saves for this, too. :rolleyes: Does anyone know how many hours Assassin's took them?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-05-05, 5:47 PM #15
You can probably back up your saves on a USB stick easily enough.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-05, 9:00 PM #16
depends on how many of the msisions you complete, viewpoints you do, citizens you save, whether you search out templars, search for flags, etc.

i'd say i've got a good 6 or 8 hours on the game, and i'm only on memory block 4, which has three assassinations.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM

↑ Up to the top!