Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kids who play violent video games less at risk for violent behavior
Kids who play violent video games less at risk for violent behavior
2008-05-05, 3:39 PM #1
http://www.blogscooper.com/New-research-reveals-kids-who-dont-play-videogames-at-all-are-more-at-risk-of-violent-tendencies

I saw that coming! :awesome:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-05, 3:50 PM #2
This is from the Wikipedia article about that book:

Quote:
Many young males claimed that playing violent games helped them relax and vent aggression, running contrary to common thinking about catharsis in the social science community.

I can agree with that. One time the old computer froze when I tried to play Jedi Academy and I was mad, so I went and turned on my Xbox and played Battlefront. I owned a few stormtroopers (or maybe I was playing FOR the Empire) and I felt better.

I really can't take Jack Thompson seriously, after he started saying crap about THE SIMS 2.
2008-05-05, 3:52 PM #3
There is so many factors involved that to make a statement such as that entails more questions than answers.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-06, 9:43 AM #4
I do agree with the studies that violent video games/movies/etc. do desensitize us to violence. There is a big difference between desensitization and committing acts of violence, so this research sounds about right to me. (From what I read)
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-05-06, 9:46 AM #5
Works for me... Sometimes I get mad at stupid things, load up an old game that I'm actually good at, pop some heads, then go watch TV and have a soda :D
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"

↑ Up to the top!