Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Metroid Prime series.
Metroid Prime series.
2008-05-06, 7:03 AM #1
I'm half way through this series. I never owned a GC because there weren't enough titles for it that I wanted, but now with the Wii, I can have them. I'm a huge metroid fanboy (admitted, FANBOY) and have played through almost all of them thusfar. (never managed to beat The Return of Samus though).

I played the original NES Metroid the other night for jollies, only took a couple hours to beat it, havent played it in years :D

Anyways, I liked Metroid Prime. Echoes is interesting, and it expands the universe a bit to touch on other races that have intelligence other than the humans, pirates, and chozo. What I don't like however, is the way metroids are used (let alone depicted) in the series. How did the metroid go from being this bubbling beast with talons that was the size of a truck (regular metroids were traditionally bigger than samus by 2-3x, and samus is already bulky due to the suit.) to this weak little petlike creature? Granted, they are 'different species' of metroids. One from Tallon IV, one from Zebes. I dunno, I liked the bigger ones better. I also miss Mother Brain. Those battles were far more intense than Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime is just another target, while Mother Brain was a armory of weapons, not to mention all the little crap flying at you from everywhere while you fight her. mmmm satisfying.

Anyone here play through the Prime series? Is it worth it? I'm ready to finish this one and move on to Corruption.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-05-06, 7:14 AM #2
Samus' morph ball is about a meter in diameter. If you let a metroid chomp on you and switch, you can see they're about 2 m wide.

That's pretty big.

They just look tiny because they zoom around really fast and there usually aren't any good size references in the area.
2008-05-06, 7:39 AM #3
Metroid Prime 1 was the best, even though the final boss was underwhelming. It had amazing atmosphere, great graphics for the time, wonderful sound production, etc. It's just great all around.
2008-05-06, 8:09 AM #4
Played through 1, 2, and 3. I enjoyed 3's Wii control scheme and it helped make 3 my favorite. The achievement things are cool too.

2008-05-06, 8:27 AM #5
One has an amazing soundtrack, I was glad to see they put it in SSB Brawl... 2 so far is just kinda story building... I'm hoping it leads to a good conclusion on 3.
2008-05-06, 8:44 AM #6
Played through 1 and 2 and I loved the amount of Lore and whatnot that went into the games.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-05-06, 8:53 AM #7
I liked the controls in Prime 3 a lot, but the game itself wasn't very Metroid-like. You didn't spend a lot of time finding or discovering new areas, rooms or routes.

Prime 2 had the potential, but it was just too convoluted.

Prime 1 has pretty much the perfect Metroid setting. It has a fairly simple layout, with a number of alternate routes, shortcuts and tricks. Metroid Prime rewards you for having a good memory and a good sense of direction, which is something I really appreciate in a game.
2008-05-06, 9:03 AM #8
1 and 3 are great... 2 is good, but just not as good as the first.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-05-06, 9:05 AM #9
I've never played more than 2 minutes of the oldest gameboy version.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-06, 9:17 AM #10
It's HARD... I got lost in some maze, and everytime I thought I was out, I ended up right back where I started... twice on two different saves. I gave up only 7 metroids away from beating it.

I think Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo DS) was an EXCELLENT metroid game, multiple planets, a handful of adept enemies to break away from the same repetitive set.... If it weren't for the tiny screen and sub N64 graphics it would be my Metroid #3. (SNES #1, NES #2)
2008-05-06, 10:09 AM #11
Metroid Prime Hunters was terrible and shouldn't have ever been made.
2008-05-06, 10:16 AM #12
Cool Matty is correct a thousand times over.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-05-06, 10:17 AM #13
Metroid Prime: Hunters

concept: good
execution: horrible
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-05-06, 10:54 AM #14
I've never played Prime or above, but I loved Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission (remake of the original).
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-05-06, 11:26 AM #15
Haha why is it that everyone hates hunters? I thought it was pretty good! and I still don't think Metroid belongs in a FPA (first person adventure) format.
2008-05-06, 11:39 AM #16
Because the control system gives normal people (and by that I mean people who are unwilling to buy a bulky clip on grip that completely defeats the point of having a DS lite and as an aside makes you look a pillock) hand and wrist cramp within a few short minutes.

That and I always felt it was too dimly lit - atmosphere like that would work with a big display, but on the DS I (and I admit this is a personal preference) just spent too long squinting to make stuff out.
2008-05-06, 11:49 AM #17
Hm, cant say I had the lighting issue, but yes the hand issue did come up frequently. I guess my love for the series overcame it. I know that I couldn't even attempt to use the stylus... they should have just nixed that idea from the get-go.
2008-05-06, 12:54 PM #18
if you really loved metroid you'd hate hunters :colbert:
2008-05-06, 1:08 PM #19
If they released an all-in-one Prime package with Wii controls in the first two (and Widescreen support), I would jump at it the second it hit store shelves. I still think Prime 1 was best in the series, not because of the mere "original is always the best" feeling, but because it treated the Metroid formula extremely well. I liked being alone in a desolate land, not take orders from a floating piece of meat in a tank. If they are ever going to make another Prime-like game, it should throw you into a whole world all alone again.

Metroid Prime 3 felt like it was trying to conform to a FPS crowd. I don't know, am I the few who LIKED backtracking? I know it could get annoying such as the "find x amount of hidden items!" objectives, but I somewhat enjoy retracing my steps and seeing what new abilities could be put to use at some point of the game I've been before. Plus, MP3 had a strange fetish for Phazon. What was a curious plot device from MP1 was just overused to the point of hemorrhage-inducing excess.

On a related note when I heard of the Nova beam in MP3, I thought it could shoot through ANY wall. And, with the x-ray visor, I thought it would be a badass combination of tearing up enemies that have taken cover. But it only shot through certain materials. Am I missing something?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-06, 1:20 PM #20
Also, I should coin a term related to the Prime series where the same enemies keep coming back but with a different model/name. Seriously, how many versions of Preed have there been so far? How many Metroids and Bombu (you know, the spherical enemy "that consists entirely of raw energy.") Heh.
2008-05-06, 1:29 PM #21
MP3 > MP1 > MP2 > MP:H
Think while it's still legal.
2008-05-06, 1:43 PM #22
Wrong, MP1 was the best because MP3 was a generic first person shooter.
2008-05-06, 1:59 PM #23
Screw it, let's name them all. It's going to bother my thoughts the rest of the day anyhow.

MP1: Preed
MP2: Preed, Dark Aether Preed
MP3: Skytown Preed, Fuel Jel Preed, Phazon Preed

MP1: Metroid, Mutated Metroid (the one that splits), Metroid Hunter
MP2: Metroid, Baby Metroids, Dark Aether Metroid
MP3: Phazon Metroid, Phazon Baby Metroids, ...?

MP1: Bombu, Scatter Bombu, Invisible Bombu
MP2: Bombu, Scatter Bombu, Dark Aether Scatter Bombu, Dark Aether Bombu (?)
MP3: Atomic (Bombu)

I feel like I'm missing a few.
2008-05-06, 2:03 PM #24
you're a preed
2008-05-06, 2:03 PM #25
I preed my pants.
2008-05-06, 2:04 PM #26
I am not a preed.
2008-05-06, 2:08 PM #27
you're also a zoomer
2008-05-06, 2:11 PM #28
I am NOT a zoomer.
2008-05-06, 2:21 PM #29
I never got into the old Metroid Primes because I found the controls so abysmal.
MP3 was good though...
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-05-06, 2:29 PM #30
yeah well you're a jelzap
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-05-07, 12:31 AM #31
Damn, I have no come-back for that =s
2008-05-07, 12:36 AM #32
Originally posted by Deadman:
I never got into the old Metroid Primes because I found the controls so abysmal.

why you gotta be like that dawg
:master::master::master:
2008-05-07, 1:06 AM #33
They started it >_>
2008-05-07, 5:09 AM #34
The only game that's in the Metroid lineup that shouldnt be is that pathetic pinball game... seriously, why? Pinball games suck unless its a huge box you put quarters in and flip a real metal ball around.
2008-05-07, 12:12 PM #35
Originally posted by Deadman:
They started it >_>

definitely a jelzap
2008-05-07, 1:48 PM #36
Metroid II was the best, screw super metroid and the primes.

:P
nope.
2008-05-07, 1:50 PM #37
Originally posted by Baconfish:

parasite queen
2008-05-08, 5:29 AM #38
Originally posted by Baconfish:

The only thing that was noteworthy on The Return of Samus was the special gear you could get... it blew the crap on NES away.

↑ Up to the top!