Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Film School or Education Questionmark
Film School or Education Questionmark
2008-05-07, 3:40 PM #1
Within the next semester, after I finish my AA degree, I have to decide where I should go from here. I have been a capable video editor and director for quite a while now, and am confident that I can develop the skills to go far. On the other hand, I love English teaching at the high-school level, and would love doing it for the rest of my life. Here are some pros and cons of each:

Film:

Pros:
I'd enjoy it
I'm good at it
Great money
Lots of creativity
Flexible lifestyle

Cons:
Competitive market
Long process
Inconsistent income
No guarantees
Expensive

English:

Pros:
I'd enjoy it
I'm good at it
More certain income
Reliable job market
Guaranteed job somewhere
Cheap

Cons:
Horrible pay
Lifelong job (late retirement)
Restrictive lifestyle
Narrow job field
More stressful/difficult

What do you cats think? I'd be going to Minneapolis to either the Arts school, or to the State school, so we're not talking about the top tier in either subject.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 3:42 PM #2
I wouldn't say being a High School English Teacher is more stressful than being a film producer/director/editor... probably
2008-05-07, 3:43 PM #3
High Schoolers would love you Kirbs. Just saying.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2008-05-07, 3:45 PM #4
Don't you generally need a BS degree to go to grad school?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-05-07, 3:50 PM #5
Yeah...what accredited school takes people with a two-year degree into is graduate program? :confused:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-05-07, 3:53 PM #6
Just a thought.
Highschool kids generally aren't nice to teachers that are... Different in any way. They freaking tore this one little old chinese lady to shreds the other day.
2008-05-07, 4:15 PM #7
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Just a thought.
Highschool kids generally aren't nice to teachers that are... Different in any way. They freaking tore this one little old chinese lady to shreds the other day.

If you know how to deal with kids, it's not a big deal at all. I usually start any class I teach with a Q/A, and I show them that I'm comfortable with myself, and that they've got no reason to be afraid, or to make assumptions about me.

And I didn't mean grad school, sorry.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 4:18 PM #8
Originally posted by petmc20:
High Schoolers would love you Kirbs. Just saying.

I have taught high school before, and done very well. At the end of the semester, I give the advanced 9th graders of my old school a 2 week workshop in poetry. I go in with 60 kids who hate poetry, to 55 kids who consider themselves budding poets. It's really quite remarkable what kids can accomplish when given a blank slate, and the tools to put their ideas onto that canvas.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 5:38 PM #9
Why not do video editing as a side job to teaching?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-05-07, 5:41 PM #10
Because I want to do more than just edit. I mean, that's what I'd do if I taught, but it isn't a compromise. I already edit on the side.

And that won't make any more money, really. I'd need a traditional education in order to make any kind of real money editing video.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 5:47 PM #11
I don't want to go into your personal life, but would you think there might be issues down the road health-wise? Being a teacher requires a strict adherence to a schedule to the point that missing a day can throw off a timeline. I'm sure you can do it, but it would put you in a position where performance matters for a long period of time.

I bet film isn't too better but it seems it probably allows some flexibility.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-07, 5:53 PM #12
My health shouldn't require flexibility unless something happens, in which case I wouldn't be able to do ANY job. Actually, teaching might provide more time for the occasional surgery, as I'd have 3 months off in the summer. While flexible, I don't think even a commercial director can not shoot anything for 3 months.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 6:43 PM #13
how about you get a real degree
:master::master::master:
2008-05-07, 6:46 PM #14
also, you're not guaranteed a job with english. everyone who does english goes into teaching

same thing with film. do you know how many students go into film? do you know how many end up working in book stores?
2008-05-07, 6:49 PM #15
Originally posted by stat:
everyone who does english goes into teaching.

Interestingly enough, I've heard there's an increase of English majors going into business. I forget the full reasons why but a lot has to do with marketing and presentations.

But yeah, degrees like that aren't terribly strong establishments for a career. Especially if you aren't from a major school (name means alot in a world based on impressions).
2008-05-07, 6:55 PM #16
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Interestly enough, I've heard there's an increase of English majors going into business. I forget the full reasons why but a lot has to do with marketing and presentations.

it's probably because they're talented, but too short-sighted to get a worthwhile degree, and since academics and education (at least with english) are extremely competitive, a lot of them languish in minimum wage jobs before going back to school to get a new degree. Business types started realizing that there's a lot of untapped talent working in book stores and coffee shops
2008-05-07, 7:23 PM #17
I guess this could go into various debates under liberal arts regarding pursuing a degree of something like philosophy, sociology, etc. I mean, is there something wrong with going to college to "learn how to read?"

The thing is, I can't shake off the feeling that handful of people go after certain majors because it seems the easiest or something of that sort. I always believed people who are really passionate about, let's say, English should go into that field because of their love. And I mean passionate. Surely there must people walking around with English degree just because of a passing interest of the subject or thought it would provide them with free time at school. Or got one from the internet.
2008-05-07, 8:09 PM #18
Lot's of people work in the business word without any kind of background in business. Companies just like that the person has a degree.
Pissed Off?
2008-05-07, 8:11 PM #19
Well, I'm passionate about both of these topics. And yes, passionate. Probably English more so than film.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-08, 7:24 AM #20
I'm sorry, Kirbs, but I wouldn't let you near my kids with a ten foot pole in class! Who knows what corrupting nonsense you'll awaken them to? :tinfoil:

Maybe just as long as you don't perform wizardry.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-05-08, 7:43 AM #21
Originally posted by stat:
same thing with film. do you know how many students go into film? do you know how many end up working in book stores?

Agreed. I feel like more people than ever these days are "going into film" with hopes of making millions as a director.

I will always consider film very close to a degree in art or graphic design. You spend many years and money being taught to be "creative". I think that most of the skills and knowledge can be learned on your own without paying for it. Get a real degree, but keep doing film on the side.
2008-05-08, 7:50 AM #22
You really just need to do what will make you happy IN THE LONG RUN... you don't want to waste time on something else when you could have been working your way up in something else.

Teachers do get payed crap, but you get a couple months off a year, thats enough time to SOME film work maybe?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"

↑ Up to the top!