Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → (tech) usb 2.0 woes ver 2
(tech) usb 2.0 woes ver 2
2008-05-08, 7:08 AM #1
Hey guys.

now, when i had this usb problem (not enough power to the device, etc) with my sansa mp3 player (which works just about everywhere else except for my machine..) i forgot to mention one thing, i had just installed a new power supply because my old one died. could it be that:

a) the power supply is too weak (it's a 400w) to supply enough ampage to the usb 2.0 ports

b) i somehow forgot a connection to the fatboard (pun!) and it just doesn't send power to the machine.

any clues? thanks!
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-05-08, 7:32 AM #2
The connections for the USB ports have to be right otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

Are you using a USB hub or is it plugged directly into the PC?
2008-05-08, 8:05 AM #3
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The connections for the USB ports have to be right otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

Are you using a USB hub or is it plugged directly into the PC?

This. Also, which ports are you using? Are they the ones that are soldered directly to the motherboard, or are they connected to it with headers? If it's the later, try the motherboard ones for fun.
2008-05-08, 8:47 AM #4
I tried using the ones from the mobo. i still can't see it in 'my computer' . back then i also bought a usb hub and it won't work through that either. the ones from the mobo are directly soldered to it.

this is XP, on an Nforce2 Mobo that still has agp and no pci express but does have usb 2.0 (i see it on the boot up, usb enhc contrl.) running on AMD cpu, not that it matters, but more info is good.

and what do you mean connection to the usb ports? from the PSU or the actual soldered connections? if so i haven't touched zilch on the solders!

neither the hub or the direct mobo usb ports work. been trying to fix this for months and resorted to using a usb flash drive to load music from my pc and transfer it from the drive to my sansa from my computer at work. it's a pain, but it works. except i'm kinda sick of it as you may imagine!
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-05-08, 6:07 PM #5
I remember the original thread for this issue, but don't recall all the posts within the thread, and don't feel like searching for it at the moment. So here's two questions, I apologize if you have been asked and/or already answered these:

1. Do other USB 2.0 devices work at full speed? (It would tell you in a balloon notification that it could 'perform faster'

2. If you open up the disk managemt tool (in Administrative Tools in the control panel, and/or in Computer Managment in the Administrative Tools in the control panel) do you see any drives that are missing drive letter associations and/or match the size of the capacity of your MP3 player?
2008-05-08, 6:35 PM #6
it appears to be a generalized usb 2.0 issue. perform faster and all of that...
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-05-08, 8:08 PM #7
Device Manager will tell you how much power is available to the USB hubs on your computer (find a hub, Properties > Power) as well as how much power each attached device is taking up. For me it has 500mA per port and most devices take up 100mA.

↑ Up to the top!