Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Modern horror games/mods
Modern horror games/mods
2004-08-06, 10:26 AM #1
According to the people of massassi, what would be the top-five horror games/mods currently out there (and/or released in the past 10 years).

I'm guessing that we'd of course find Doom3 and Laboratory in there (btw, I've attempted to figure this out for months, but to no avail: What is the story to Laboratory? What is it about?).

My top-five would be (based more upon reviews than actual gameplay, as i'm not blessed with the world's fastest comp of biggest wallet)

*Doom3
*Laboratory
*Alien Vs. Predator
*Alien Vs. Predator 2
*Glover (i had nightmares about that bright colourful environment for months!)

What say the rest of you? (and can somebody please answer my Laboratory questions?!)

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-06, 10:27 AM #2
You can always email Spiral. Or check out his site...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-06, 10:39 AM #3
System Shock 2, Thief, Thief 2.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-06, 10:41 AM #4

Alien Vs. Predator
Alien Vs. Predator 2
Vampire The Masquerade

Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-08-06, 11:00 AM #5
Damn...I was going to vote for Dark Seed, but when I checked it's release it was 1992, so I can't. That was a scary game, though.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"Sam and Max Hit the Road-sign. The one saying 'Stop'."
2004-08-06, 11:01 AM #6
Why is when i ask for a "Top 5" selection, people give me 3 answers?

But enough ranting. What's the URL to Spiral's site? The one on the Massassi links page doesn't work.

------------------
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-06, 11:02 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Forsakahn:
Why is when i ask for a "Top 5" selection, people give me 3 answers?

But enough ranting. What's the URL to Spiral's site? The one on the Massassi links page doesn't work.

</font>

Because you already named what were gonna be my #3 and 4!

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-07, 10:57 PM #8
heh, glad to see that people are interrested this much in Laboratory, but I have some distressing news.. As of today, I suspended Laboratory.. maybe even indefinately... I posted a new thred tonight saying this. I however CANT say what Lab is about, because the story is exactly what has put a hold on Laboratory, and might even lead to it's abandonment. Once I know what is going on for sure, i will post on here.

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 08, 2004).]
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-07, 11:05 PM #9
Spiral do you like me at all?

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b

[This message has been edited by saberopus (edited August 08, 2004).]
2004-08-07, 11:16 PM #10
no

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 2:24 AM #11
One acronym:

F.E.A.R.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/preview_6100479.html

Watch that. Be warned, its violent. But DAMN the whole thing has got me hooked. i wanna know whats going on there.

You see marines run down a hall...then a little girl appears and they get massacered...

I WANT THIS GAME!

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-08-08, 3:48 AM #12
Flex already mentioned System Shock 2, so there's always Clive Barker's Undying to go along with it.

It has aged pretty well. The best first two thirds of the game is still absolutely chilling. One of the most memorable parts are when you're crepping along, knee-deep in bones in a catacomb you start to hear someone humming a lullaby in the distance. There's another part where you approach a statue only for it to turn around and rip open it's chest cavity, exposing it's beating heart, and beg to be put out of it's misery. *shudders*

Undying also has one of the most disgustingly handy hidden little tricks. Using the ressurection spell on the bandits forces them to commit suicide in the game's consistently unnerving manner. The Trsanti bandits unwillingly raise their revolvers to their mouths, and let out a final desperate confused scream of dawning realisation as they pull the trigger and collapse. EA's last M Rated game too.

Call of Cthulhu looks like it's going to be pretty good. No HUD or crosshair or interface floating around. You aim along the barrel, your protagonist's vision goes wishy-washy if he's acrophobic and he's climbing along a ledge, and insanity leads to suicide. In addition, you've got your Lovecraftian bestiary lurking around the compulsory early 20th century New England town.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-08, 6:16 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Call of Cthulhu

[/B]</font>

Thiefs Cthulhu the Half Life MOD!!!

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-08, 6:32 AM #14
Erh?
You're not making much sense.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-08, 7:03 AM #15
System Shock 2
Doom 3
Thief 3 (The cradle.. oh.. god.. the cradle...)
Vampire: Bloodlines looks pretty creepy
Aliens Vs. Predator 2

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-08, 7:04 AM #16
Unknown Armies
Kult
CHILL
Wraith: The Oblivion
Sorcerer

I guess most of those would be post-modern, but you Philistines wouldn't know the difference.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-08-08, 8:10 AM #17
awww man [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-08-08, 1:52 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I guess most of those would be post-modern, but you Philistines wouldn't know the difference.

[/B]</font>

I probably should have posted "Contempory", not "Modern", as modern refers to the mid-to-late 20th century [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].

------------------
2004-08-08, 1:57 PM #19
i worship resident evil...
scary game is half life fo sho

the 10th world in banjo kazooie with the ghosts/huanted mansion theme used to scare me when i was little lol.... i wanted it to be bright and happy and stuff

------------------
-if you don't know, then don't ask...
2004-08-08, 3:50 PM #20
I'd say the entire Silent Hill series. Then Alone in the Dark 4. And I'll thrown in System Shock 2 for good measure.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto

↑ Up to the top!