Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Diamond Age
The Diamond Age
2008-05-12, 3:07 PM #1
This novel by Neal Stephenson is being made into a 6-hour Sci-fi channel miniseries. In case you don't know why this is exciting:

This is the same author that wrote Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, which I know some of you have read.
The Diamond Age is one of the major inspirations for Deus Ex. Last I heard, the Deus Ex movie has been cancelled, so I think Deus Ex fans should find this interesting.

Unfortunately I can't find any news about it newer than when it was announced over a year ago.

Have any of you read this book?
I'm just a little boy.
2008-05-14, 1:21 PM #2
The problem with being Massassi's official thread killer is that when I start threads, they tend to be dead to begin with.

Or maybe Massassi just doesn't care about The Diamond Age! .(
I'm just a little boy.
2008-05-14, 1:35 PM #3
I care... thanks for the headsup! When did Stephenson write it? I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, been looking to read the Quicksilver Trilogy (I believe it's called)...
2008-05-14, 1:36 PM #4
I think I've heard that book being mentioned some time in the past... but I don't really read books anymore so hooray for upcoming miniseries!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-14, 1:41 PM #5
Sounds interesting.
2008-05-14, 1:49 PM #6
Hopefully it doesn't suck as hard as Tin Man did.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-05-14, 2:04 PM #7
Originally posted by saberopus:
I care... thanks for the headsup! When did Stephenson write it? I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, been looking to read the Quicksilver Trilogy (I believe it's called)...

It was published in 1995, between Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. And the trilogy you're thinking of is called The Baroque Cycle. Quicksilver is the first volume.

Originally posted by fishstickz:

I don't think I've seen any Sci Fi channel miniseries, but I've heard some bad things about them, which is worrying.
Neal Stephenson himself is writing the script for The Diamond Age. This could be a good thing, since it will be true to his vision, but it could also be a bad thing, because it's his first time writing for the screen.
I'm just a little boy.
2008-05-14, 3:01 PM #8
Originally posted by fishstickz:

diaf

I hadn't heard about this but I love Deus Ex, so thank you much for informing me, Flirb.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-14, 3:07 PM #9
Interesting. I'll have to download WATCH THIS THROUGH LEGALLY OBTAINED CHANNELS.

This message brought to you by JG&CO--tightening the communist grip on massassi on the daily [/color]
D E A T H
2008-05-14, 3:51 PM #10
Well, Sci Fi's Dune adaptation was completely brutal but they did do Battlestar: Galactica.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-05-14, 4:25 PM #11
but you have to admit it was better than the original movie.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-05-14, 4:28 PM #12
They also did The Lost Room, which is beyond amazing.
2008-05-14, 5:00 PM #13
For those who are wondering how much of Deus Ex may be found in The Diamond Age:

The conspiracy themes in Deus Ex were inspired by other sources, such as the Illuminatus! Trilogy. There is a little bit of conspiracy in The Diamond Age, but it is not so intricate, and isn't derived from actual history.
The setting is a lot more utopian, in contrast with Deus Ex's dystopian setting.
Nanotechnology is the big theme, and it is far more developed than in Deus Ex. There is a character with augmentations, including a "skull gun", which Deus Ex makes a direct reference to.
The Chinese play a major role in The Diamond Age. The Triad conflicts in Deus Ex seem to be inspired by The Diamond Age.
I'm just a little boy.
2008-05-14, 5:03 PM #14
Want.

Now.

<3flirb
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-05-14, 6:16 PM #15
Originally posted by Flirbnic:
including a "skull gun", which Deus Ex makes a direct reference to.

"Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head.

Yesterday in Batery Park, some scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor i can get out that dam asalt gun.

If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter.
Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?"
2008-05-14, 6:21 PM #16
Well this is better news than that for George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire TV adaptation by HBO which seems to have disappeared into the ether.
2008-05-14, 8:27 PM #17
I'm reading snow crash now.

↑ Up to the top!