Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Never buy a Thermaltake PSU
Never buy a Thermaltake PSU
2008-05-12, 4:29 PM #1
FYI.

Replacing it with a PC Power and Cooling beast. Hopefully nothing else has died.
2008-05-12, 4:31 PM #2
Seasonic is supposed to be excellent actually.
2008-05-12, 5:26 PM #3
I have a 600 watt OCZ, Almost silent and works well.
2008-05-12, 5:53 PM #4
i just replaced mine on my desktop a few months ago.. i don't remember with what
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-05-12, 6:12 PM #5
My 5-year-old Thermaltake PSU is still running fine. :downs:
2008-05-12, 6:40 PM #6
Personal anecdotes ftw
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-12, 6:52 PM #7
mine is also running just fine... mileage may vary i guess
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-05-12, 7:02 PM #8
I like my Seasonic.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-05-12, 7:12 PM #9
Ill second that motion! ThermalTake == Crap. Thermalright == Beautiful
:) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) Im Happy
2008-05-12, 7:16 PM #10
I had a Coolermaster - worked fine...just went to an Antec Earthwatts - also works fine. I don't recall using Thermaltake PSUs before.
woot!
2008-05-12, 7:40 PM #11
Unfortunately PSU's can't be reccommended by brand save for two that I know of, and only Seasonic for sure (though the price reflects thus).
D E A T H
2008-05-12, 7:45 PM #12
Seasonic, FSP or any brands that use theirs are a good choice.
2008-05-12, 7:46 PM #13
Originally posted by Emon:
Seasonic, FSP or any brands that use theirs are a good choice.

Most brands don't use either exclusively though, is the problem.
D E A T H
2008-05-12, 7:46 PM #14
That's true. But if a model has decent reviews you can probably bet they did.
2008-05-12, 8:30 PM #15
Out of the 20 thermaltakes I ordered last, 5 were DOA and 2 came back within 30 days.

Suck.

Lately I've been ordering Silverstone Striders, 15 so far, none bad.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-12, 10:49 PM #16
Antec PSUs ftw.
2008-05-13, 8:58 AM #17
Originally posted by ragna:
Antec PSUs ftw.

No, not ftw. Not since a long, long time ago.
2008-05-13, 9:35 PM #18
I live maybe a 6 hour drive from NCIX but it still takes three business days to get something. Express shipping my ***.
2008-05-15, 12:10 AM #19
OH JESUS **** WHY DO ALL OF MY COMPUTERS FAIL.

I've had it. Mac's in the mail.
2008-05-15, 12:32 AM #20
My Intel motherboard apparently has a '**** you' LED that indicates that either my CPU has fried or there is an issue between my processor and my northbridge, but the exact utility of the '**** you' LED is well beyond the patience of someone who has rebuilt their computer three times to no effect, and beyond the ability for someone on a Dual Shock 3 to properly articulate.

A realization, then: I could rebuild my computer fifty times, spending thousands of dollars on parts (since my last power supply apparently decided to make very angry love to my computer and I'm reasonably certain that there's not much in it that's too trustworthy.)
Or, you know, not have to put up with this **** ever again? Does it mean you're getting old when you're willing to spend more money to get a computer that just goddamn works?
2008-05-15, 12:42 AM #21
Having some trouble with the pre-keyboard interface, Jon?
2008-05-15, 7:31 AM #22
Apparently this hardware failure has also resulted in a corrupted user, I recommend using a high quality alcohol to erase the affected ram. I would act quickly to prevent this corruption from being written to long term storage.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-05-15, 7:59 AM #23
I use a Rosewill Stallion. Works great.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2008-05-15, 8:39 AM #24
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Does it mean you're getting old when you're willing to spend more money to get a computer that just goddamn works?

I find myself doing things like this in all aspects of life. As you get older your time is more valuable and your tolerance for putting up with bull**** diminishes.
2008-05-15, 8:41 AM #25
OH JESUS **** WHY DO ALL OF MY COMPUTERS FAIL.

I've had it. Mac's in the mail.

I am going to die laughing if the Mac comes in with a dead mobo.
2008-05-15, 9:41 AM #26
Except if it does, Apple will be the ones paying for it. And that's for three years and three months.
2008-05-16, 6:58 AM #27
Except if it does, Apple will be the ones paying for it. And that's for three years and three months.

Yes, because only Apple has extended warranty plans. :downswords:
2008-05-16, 7:15 AM #28
From personal experience, I've had a thousand more problems with my mac at work than I've ever had with any PC I've ever owned.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-05-16, 7:17 AM #29
applecare is pretty awesome, actually
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-16, 9:31 AM #30
Joncy: you might have a short in your case.

bought a barebones system with newegg, at first i thought it was a dead mobo, replaced the mobo, then thought dead PSU, replaced PSU, RMAed the ****er and got a new case, and the replacement mobo and PSU worked fine.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-05-16, 10:09 AM #31
Originally posted by NoESC:
applecare is pretty awesome, actually

Not always, and regardless, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.
2008-05-16, 11:26 AM #32
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yes, because only Apple has extended warranty plans. :downswords:

Apple's the only ones I've heard of even looking at something after warranty is up. I've actually heard nothing but good things about them. They just take a while to do what needs to be done if it's out of warranty.
D E A T H
2008-05-16, 11:31 AM #33
Sure, they'll look at it out of warranty, but they'll charge you out the royal butt for it. And heaven forbid your laptop gets so much as a scratch on it, they'll just claim the reason it doesn't work is because it was damaged. My friend's had to put up with Applecare twice now. Once when it was in warranty, and he had to fight them tooth and nail to get them to replace his dead DVD Drive. The second was getting a keyboard replacement after he spilt a drink on it. They wanted to charge him something ridiculous like $800 for it, when he did it himself for next to nothing.

And although it's not PCs, iRiver replaced my mp3 player out of warranty, for free, when its memory suddenly was corrupted. I've yet to see support like that from anyone.
2008-05-16, 11:49 AM #34
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
And although it's not PCs, iRiver replaced my mp3 player out of warranty, for free, when its memory suddenly was corrupted. I've yet to see support like that from anyone.

I've heard numerous stories like that about Apple's support.
2008-05-16, 11:53 AM #35
It all depends on who you talk to when you call support.

Just start yelling and don't stop until you get the person on the phone thats tells you what you want.
2008-05-16, 11:55 AM #36
Originally posted by Ford:
Joncy: you might have a short in your case
No, I checked for that. There are extruded mounts for BTX but all of them were covered up, and it's not like any of them are deep enough to contact the motherboard when it's on risers, anyway.

I did the old paperclip test with the old power supply so I know for a fact that it did fail. It sucks, but the only reason I didn't buy a Mac last time was because the 45 nm Xeons weren't out yet. :3

There are also a lot of apple employees who post in the usual place and like to solve problems with uppity tech support staff.
2008-05-16, 12:31 PM #37
So since you were waiting for Xeons I assume you're getting a Mac Pro? You must be rich :p
2008-05-16, 3:15 PM #38
Jon, did you check for a short with a multimeter? Check the potential between your case and a known ground, like a copper water pipe.
2008-05-16, 3:38 PM #39
i dropped my iphone and cracked the side of the case, and then had about 20 dead pixels show up. they replaced it for free.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-16, 4:07 PM #40
Originally posted by Emon:
Jon, did you check for a short with a multimeter? Check the potential between your case and a known ground, like a copper water pipe.

But my case has copper water pipes in it :v:

No, I didn't check with a multimeter but I did unmount the motherboard and test it on a piece of cardboard. Pump works fine in the case, all of the fans work fine, drives get power, motherboard power LED comes on. The warning LED is actually for a CPU thermal fault, which I'm pretty sure physically cannot happen within 10 ms of hitting the power button given that it has exactly the right amount of AS5 sandwiched between it and a full water block.

I'm pretty sure it's just bricked.

↑ Up to the top!