Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Next-gen consoles
Next-gen consoles
2008-05-15, 7:13 AM #1
What are your expectations for next gen consoles?

I think I'm mostly hoping for real HD support next time around. Microsoft promised 720P with the Xbox 360 and well, COD4 and Halo3 both render far below that. So I'm most hoping for true 1080p support next time around. Other than that... what else is there to hope for? I think graphics wars are reaching a plateau of sorts.

Will Nintendo come up with a way to make motion sensing not so inaccurate and sucky? Will Microsoft make Xbox LIVE even awesomer? Will GTA5 be in SPACE?!?!?
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-05-15, 7:20 AM #2
It seems like they're becoming less like consoles and more like PCs now.

So yeah, PC with a dedicated controller, I don't care about HD.

:P
nope.
2008-05-15, 7:52 AM #3
Can they really do anything besides up the graphics, processing, disk reading, and output? Everything now is really just about numbers. All of the revolutionizing comes from the game developer's side.

OR they can come out with more novelty concepts like sixaxis and the entire wii console. Man, I want more of that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-15, 7:58 AM #4
Don't expect anything for 2 years or so, maybe more. Hopefully the rumors about the 360 spring update are true and is right around the corner in a few weeks
2008-05-15, 8:15 AM #5
Why do people refer to this generation of consoles as "next gen"? It's like "modern" and "post-modern".

I really despise the bickering between 360 fanboys and PS3 ones when all I've seen doesn't really show significant differences between the two. As of right now, I hardly see any considerable graphics advantage of the PS3 ,and I don't really care what the hell the state-of-the-art Cell processor does. Maybe later, but surely not right now. As of right now, like Kirby said, it seems to be all about numbers.

I also really unhappy about the Wii right now. Seriously, anything to really look forward to? The tools of making something really innovative is given on that console yet almost all of the AAA titles don't really need the controls. Only game I've played that really understood the Wii's abilities is Metroid Prime 3. Mario Kart is left? Too bad it came out the same week as GTA4. Smart move.
:carl:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-15, 8:18 AM #6
Improved graphics and the fancy technology to make those graphics possible.

And a few hundred new CS/COD/Halo games and their clones. Games with only a millilitre of the creativity Planescape Torment, Star Control II, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Fallout etc. had. That's about it.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-15, 8:21 AM #7
I thought JK had cool graphics back then.
2008-05-15, 8:44 AM #8
JK's graphics were crap even for the time.
2008-05-15, 8:46 AM #9
Originally posted by Aglar:
JK's graphics were crap even for the time.

No they weren't, it was in competition with Quake and I think it did a fine job.
2008-05-15, 8:59 AM #10
Really? I thought one of the criticisms of JK when it came out was how the graphics looked somewhat dated.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-15, 9:07 AM #11
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Why do people refer to this generation of consoles as "next gen"? It's like "modern" and "post-modern".

brad's talking about the next generation... read the post then reply

you'll always run into systems rendering at resolutions below what the system supports

next generation will likely at first have games running at full 1920x1080 then later you see a return of this upscaled lower resolution stuff
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-05-15, 9:13 AM #12
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
No they weren't, it was in competition with Quake and I think it did a fine job.

Quake II came out the same year.
2008-05-15, 9:46 AM #13
fifa 12
2008-05-15, 9:54 AM #14
I really despise the bickering between 360 fanboys and PS3 ones when all I've seen doesn't really show significant differences between the two.

The main difference between the 360 and the PS3 is the fact that game titles on the 360 have the same software quality as PS2 games did last-gen, and PS3 games have the same quality that Xbox games did. If you play around with it for a while you can tell: games have really unpolished, pseudo-PC ingame UIs, unreasonably long copyright notices... many of them require an installation to the hard drive before play is possible. The XMB, while a lot better than the original Xbox dashboard, was obviously designed for televisions and feels very much that way. Also, Japanese companies are apparently incapable of doing any sort of online service, which is probably related to the fact that their household connections are OC12s and they all live within a 12 foot radius so they can generally take the shotgun approach to online gaming while we
2008-05-15, 9:55 AM #15
There's a length limit to the text input boxes on the PS3? What the hell
2008-05-15, 10:07 AM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:
There's a length limit to the text input boxes on the PS3? What the hell

Which text boxes? Because the 360 has the limits too

EDIT: Realized he's using the web browser on the PS3. And yeah, what the hell :S
2008-05-15, 10:15 AM #17
only explained one way... the PS3 web browser sucks (though not as much as the psp browser... youtube works on the ps3)

fun fact... youtube videos are insanely loud on the ps3
2008-05-15, 10:32 AM #18
I wish Microsoft would put IE on the 360.
2008-05-15, 10:39 AM #19
I wish Microsoft would put IE on the 360.

Even the rumored lists that are out right now for spring updates don't even mention a browser :(
2008-05-15, 10:48 AM #20

As Aglar mentioned, JK was in competition with Quake 2. But even if it were in competition with Quake 1, JK didn't stack up.

Although Quake 1 used a poor and non-interpolated implementation of it, the foundation behind Quake 1's animation system is the same one behind the weighted vertex skeletal animation systems we use today. Jedi Knight used mesh keyframes. Interpolating between every vertex versus interpolating between two matrices and doing an extra matrix multiply per vertex? Even back in the day it'd be a wash, but on modern cards skeletal animation is a lot faster.

Quake 1 used real precalculated radiosity while JK used hand-painted vertex lighting. JK, in fact, had no provision for having more than one texture on a triangle at all. Ever. Actually, JK's hand-painted vertex lighting looked okay because the level designers were amazingly good given what they had to work with. (cont)
2008-05-15, 10:57 AM #21
But Quake only had one color, while JK had many. Boo the brown!

(The Wii has the best browser btw :p)
2008-05-15, 10:59 AM #22
Custom JK levels, though, almost always look terrible because they try using the terrible automatic vertex lighting. It's something that was used sparingly in the original levels and almost always in order to create a specific effect (like darkening the bottoms of pits).

DLLs are more flexible than COG even if they are less convenient.

JK also had horrible multiplayer compared with Quake. Games were laggier and the peer-to-peer model was a simply unreasonable demand on the parts of ignorant executives. JK's entire game lifespan was literally bound to the Zone, while Quake's dedicated server model allowed for server indexing services like QuakeSpy at best and server listings at worse. For a couple of years many *ISPs* ran dedicated Quake servers. JK was a joke in comparison.
2008-05-15, 11:03 AM #23
But Quake only had one color, while JK had many. Boo the brown!
I know you're kidding, but JK and Quake had the same number of colors except JK spread theirs out over a much larger color space. Quake had 256 shades of brown while JK had one shade of brownish-orange and wound up making most of the craggy rock floors look like a sea of flesh.
Quote:
(The Wii has the best browser btw :p)
Too bad Wii doesn't support HD making the huge fonts look like babbys first web browser
2008-05-15, 11:07 AM #24
I know you're kidding, but JK and Quake had the same number of colors except JK spread theirs out over a much larger color space. Quake had 256 shades of brown while JK had one shade of brownish-orange and wound up making most of the craggy rock floors look like a sea of flesh.
Too bad Wii doesn't support HD making the huge fonts look like babbys first web browser

Alternative: get a laptop
2008-05-15, 11:45 AM #25
As Aglar mentioned, JK was in competition with Quake 2. But even if it were in competition with Quake 1, JK didn't stack up.

I think you and Aglar are being a little harsh. Just becuase JK couldnt top some of Quake1 and most of Quake2's engine features doesnt mean it was awful.

Here is an exampe of some of the top videogames of 1997 -
http://games.toptenreviews.com/list_ranking_pc_1997.htm

Many of the 3D shooters on the list are still based on Ken Silvermans Build engine- Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, and Blood. While JK might not represent the best - it certainly wasnt awful.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-05-15, 11:56 AM #26
The one thing JK had over the quakes was scale. You really felt like those chasms were huuuuge.
2008-05-15, 11:56 AM #27
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Shadow Warrior

Great game. Probably the best of the bunch, certainly not graphically or technically, but only horrible nerds pay major attention to those things. :hist101:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-15, 12:08 PM #28
I like how a nextgen console discussion into a quake vs JK discussion. Honestly I'm less than impressed with Xbox360 and PS3.

I still think Lucasarts should do a deal with Xbox Live or PSN for their older titles like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight ect. Theres alot of hype/nostalgia for older games like these- look at all the attention Bionic Commando is getting.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-05-15, 12:09 PM #29
I think you and Aglar are being a little harsh. Just becuase JK couldnt top some of Quake1 and most of Quake2's engine features doesnt mean it was awful.

Here is an exampe of some of the top videogames of 1997 -
http://games.toptenreviews.com/list_ranking_pc_1997.htm

Many of the 3D shooters on the list are still based on Ken Silvermans Build engine- Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, and Blood. While JK might not represent the best - it certainly wasnt awful.

Does it help that I think the gameplay was horrible?

I honestly don't know why I ever liked it.
2008-05-15, 12:30 PM #30
I just replayed the entire SP campaign of JK the other week, after having left it alone for a few years, and it was so fun, and not purely because of its nostalgia value.

That said, in terms of 'next-gen' consoles, I'm not really likely to buy one... The only console I've ever owned was a PS2 that I got for Christmas this past December... basically existed for the sole purpose of guitar hero and making my brother play RE4.
2008-05-15, 12:33 PM #31
I like how a nextgen console discussion into a quake vs JK discussion. Honestly I'm less than impressed with Xbox360 and PS3.

I still think Lucasarts should do a deal with Xbox Live or PSN for their older titles like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight ect. Theres alot of hype/nostalgia for older games like these- look at all the attention Bionic Commando is getting.

for the most part this won't happen... they would have to port them over...

now something like Dark Forces or the Rebel Assault games could have their PS1 versions released on PSN if lucasarts wanted them to be
2008-05-15, 1:21 PM #32
I still think Lucasarts should do a deal with Xbox Live or PSN for their older titles like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight ect.
etc. stands for et cetera. :mad:

It's my understanding that the source code for JK doesn't exist anymore. Some companies have lousy code retention policies so it's not hard to believe from a purely logistical standpoint. The source code has been modified and abused so much for Droidworks, Grim Fandango and Infernal Machine that I don't think there's a lot of hope barring a complete rewrite.

Not that, you know, anybody would be interested who does not currently post on this forum.
2008-05-15, 1:28 PM #33
I'd like to think I would get use out of a web browser on the 360, but the truth is I probably wouldn't. Once I got a decent TV I thought I'd use MSN messenger on the 360 a lot more, so I bought a chatpad. The fact of the matter is, it's just not easy to multitask on a game console. I really can't play a game and hold an MSN conversation at the same time. If I just sit my laptop next to me, I can manage to type out a few quick messages between rounds and such. I mainly chalk this up to the 360's slow menus, and the lack of a good pointing device.

I think a web browser would suffer from the same problems. It would be nice to know it's there, though.
2008-05-15, 1:31 PM #34
Originally posted by Aglar:
I'd like to think I would get use out of a web browser on the 360, but the truth is I probably wouldn't. Once I got a decent TV I thought I'd use MSN messenger on the 360 a lot more, so I bought a chatpad. The fact of the matter is, it's just not easy to multitask on a game console. I really can't play a game and hold an MSN conversation at the same time. If I just sit my laptop next to me, I can manage to type out a few quick messages between rounds and such. I mainly chalk this up to the 360's slow menus, and the lack of a good pointing device.

I think a web browser would suffer from the same problems. It would be nice to know it's there, though.

I use my chatpad/talk to people on MSN while playing all the time. That's why I can't wait for the rumored lists to be true!

(Utilizes the 360 headset for Windows Live)
2008-05-15, 1:46 PM #35
It's like "modern" and "post-modern".

Modernism refers to a specific era in intellectual and artistic thought and the way the world was perceived. The modern era generally started during Enlightenment and ended in the 50s, depending on the subject. Post-modernism was the reaction to that, and it's generally accepted that post-modernism is dead, too. Some have broached the concept of post-post-modernism, but honestly, that's just getting silly.

tl;dr Modern in that context does not mean current
:master::master::master:
2008-05-15, 2:29 PM #36
Originally posted by Anovis:
I use my chatpad/talk to people on MSN while playing all the time. That's why I can't wait for the rumored lists to be true!

(Utilizes the 360 headset for Windows Live)

Maybe I just suck at it, I don't know. I ended up returning it because I wasn't using it at all. If I decide to give it another chance I'd probably just get a regular wireless keyboard and keep it under my couch.
2008-05-15, 4:10 PM #37
Anal Bum Covers

:colbert:
D E A T H
2008-05-15, 5:04 PM #38
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Anal Bum Covers

:colbert:

Sir you fail by using plural.

nope.
2008-05-15, 5:38 PM #39
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Sir you fail by using plural.

You've never seen the skit, so no, I beg to differ.
D E A T H
2008-05-15, 6:05 PM #40
Actually I have, and I'm sure its on youtube to clarify.

:P
nope.

↑ Up to the top!