Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DarkXL, the DF engine rewrite
DarkXL, the DF engine rewrite
2008-05-15, 8:51 PM #1
Lucius over at DF-21.net is working on a clone of the DF engine. Right now it's in an alpha stage and can play through first level. It's pretty impressive. It has basic weapons and rudimentary AI. At the rate this guy is working, he could probably be done by the end of the year, maybe sooner, depending on how much of a life he has. This isn't some hacked together POS, this is the real thing.

I recommend checking it out if you have DF. You basically drop in the EXE and required files into whatever folder, and specify the path to DF in the configuration file.

Here's a screenshot from Talay, which isn't supported in a public release, but will be soon.
[http://www.darkxl.df-21.net/Screenshots/DXL_Talay0.jpg]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-15, 9:01 PM #2
Mouse look and high res/3D = ultimate win. I'm not sure I still have the CD, though... .(
woot!
2008-05-15, 9:02 PM #3
If anyone is missing the CD, uh, just PM me.
2008-05-15, 9:03 PM #4
so this actually looks like it may actually be finished unlike that one way back when... what was it called? Dark3D?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-05-15, 9:13 PM #5
Yeah, the one written by The Biggest Douche in the Universe Matias Welander, the guy who hated Americans and wasn't going to let any American players download it. :downs:
2008-05-15, 9:18 PM #6
It's Mattias Weilander you ignorant American slob. Spell it right or he'll rightfully sue you from his imperial throne in the great nation of Sweden. Cybercraft(TM) Dark3D(R) is currently well-underway and you can be certain that Cybercraft(TM) will be bringing a lawsuit against this clear violation of Cybercraft(TM) intellectual property.

Yeah this rewrite's turning out pretty great.
2008-05-15, 9:22 PM #7
Emon and Jon`C endorse it? Sign me up.

But I only have DF for the PS that works anymore.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-15, 9:26 PM #8
PM Emon, Or go to to sweden.
2008-05-15, 9:33 PM #9
Mattias is the one who finally turned me into an unabashed forum troll, if I recall correctly. It's too bad they've pruned the DF-21 forums since then, but I was actually the one (Canadian) who got Mattias to finally declare jihad against the Americans or whatever the hell it is those absurd Scandinavians do to each other.

I suggested that Mattias make Dark3D open-source so if he lost interest it wouldn't mean a whole lot of wasted time for him. You know, before I learned first-hand that opensourcing a project is only worthwhile if you want some neckbeard to port the thing to ToasterBSD. I digress. I don't remember the exact exchange but it was pretty funny.
What's better is that he recanted, stating that only the DF-21 beta would be unplayable in North America, and that we're all a bunch of silly capitalist pig-dogs for misunderstanding what he said. And then he stayed around on DF-21 basically doing what Nikumubeki does.

Truly a great man.
2008-05-15, 9:37 PM #10
He denied Canada his Norwegien delights? Truly a Hitler in his own right.
2008-05-15, 9:42 PM #11
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
He denied Canada his Norwegien delights? Truly a Hitler in his own right.

Yes except instead of what you said it was Sweden and instead of what you did it wasn't bandwagoning.
2008-05-15, 9:43 PM #12
Sweden, Norway, Finland.
All the same frozen rock.
2008-05-15, 9:46 PM #13

we live in canada
2008-05-15, 9:50 PM #14
A frozen rock on the other side of the pond.
2008-05-15, 10:01 PM #15
I've played DarkXL, it's pretty impressive. The first level is pretty much fully implemented already in the engine, with just some minor bug fixing left to do.

The AI is already scriptable to some degree, and the weapons probably will be too eventually. Dark Forces has had a number of hardcoded features which have frustrated modders but we finally have another engine which can change that.

2008-05-15, 10:25 PM #16
A frozen rock on the other side of the pond.

Dude. Shut! UP!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-05-15, 10:45 PM #17
I remember a conversation about Force Builder, a level editor for JK that was also a project of Mattias'. Slug had some insight on the matter:
Originally posted by Slug:
ForceBuilder was a level editor that used multiple panes like most other 3d design tools.. It was coded by a very intelligent and talented guy, who unfortunately also happened to be an egotistical, controlling, raving lunatic..
Case in point.. He threatened to sue when people misspelled his name..

Another case in point.. When Jon`C insulted Mattias's current project, Dark 3d (A new rendering engine for Dark Forces), Mattias retaliated by coding the engine not to work on North American computers.. He went on a huge tirade about how much America sucks, and ultimately suggested the nuclear cleansing of the US.. Ironically, Jon`C isn't American - He's Canadian..

Anyway, this DarkXL project looks pretty damned cool. I think I still have my DF CD somewhere, too. I'd definitely play through the game again when everything is working.
2008-05-15, 10:49 PM #18
What's funny is that a threat to sue for misspelling one's name is about the definition of the stereotypical American frivolous lawsuit.
2008-05-15, 11:23 PM #19
No it's nothing like that at all, Emon! You see, in Sweden a name is a trademark! So by mis-spelling it you are creating an ambiguity that could result in you confusing Mattias for that other toolbag writing Dark3D.
2008-05-15, 11:31 PM #20
Matias Maattiass

MAT TI ***

MAT TI ***

see what i did!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-05-15, 11:32 PM #21
oh i guess *** is censored
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-05-15, 11:35 PM #22
MAT TI *** more like FAT TI ***

see what i did there?

If lucius ever opensources this thing I'm totally gonna port it to osx :cool:
2008-05-16, 12:02 AM #23
Originally posted by Jon`C:
And then he stayed around on DF-21 basically doing what Nikumubeki does.

You see, heer Jonathan Clark here believes that I am like Mattias Welander. Thus heer Jonathan Clark will always be an eternal source of HI-LA-RI-TY for me.

Godspeed! :hist101:

Also, that new engine looks pretty spank-tastic. Of course then comes the question of high resolution textures and models and oh look what happened to Dark Forces Mod for JA. Great shame. /_\
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-16, 12:03 AM #24
Sweden, Norway, Finland.
All the same frozen rock.

when will you disappear

you are like that guy that everyone is kind of friends with but never calls
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-05-16, 4:31 AM #25
Will the Imperial Detention Facility still be absolutely impossible?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-05-16, 4:33 AM #26
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Emon and Jon`C endorse it? Sign me up.

Well aren't you a little yes man.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-05-16, 6:18 AM #27
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
you are like that guy that everyone is kind of friends with but never calls

No, I'd say he makes SAJN look pretty good in comparison.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-05-16, 7:48 AM #28
Hey... at least Tibby here doesn't share his random-*** poetry every week or so. God forbid.
DO NOT WANT.
2008-05-16, 8:29 AM #29
Originally posted by Zell:
Hey... at least Tibby here doesn't share his random-*** poetry every week or so. God forbid.

Instead of poetry, it's seems Tibby likes to hand out blow jobs for "important" members on this forum. :v:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-16, 8:31 AM #30
SAJN: serj blah blah emo blah blah im an artist
Tibby: MY COMPUTER MY COMPUTER MY COMPUTER

i dunno guys, it's a tough call
2008-05-16, 8:43 AM #31
tibby now has a computer that isn't ancient... that joke is dead
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-05-16, 9:34 AM #32
Way to derail a seriously good thread you stupid ****s.

:carl:
2008-05-16, 9:47 AM #33
Also I like Jay Kay and Dee Eff. :ninja:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-05-16, 11:32 AM #34
Originally posted by Jep:
Well aren't you a little yes man.

It is common knowledge that if Jon`C suggests a game, program, or some other technological thing that it's good. Emon and I also share a lot of the same tastes in everything.

When the two agree, it's like a roadmap for me. I'm still trying to find out what kind of underwear they prefer.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-16, 11:41 AM #35
Emon and I also share a lot of the same tastes in everything.

Trust me, thats not all you share.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-05-16, 2:50 PM #36
Quote:
It is common knowledge that if Jon`C suggests a game, program, or some other technological thing that it's good. Emon and I also share a lot of the same tastes in everything.

When the two agree, it's like a roadmap for me. I'm still trying to find out what kind of underwear they prefer.

You're the third one in line? Shouldn't you get to go first?
2008-05-16, 2:52 PM #37
I wonder if kirby has to give reach arounds with his grabby claw.
2008-05-16, 3:09 PM #38
I'm still trying to find out what kind of underwear they prefer.

Hanes' knit boxers, although they don't really call them knit anymore, probably because it sounds like they'd be too warm. They're thin, very cool and extremely comfortable, they never ride up. They also have a button on the fly so it does not gap. They advertise them as having a ComfortSoft wasteband or something like that now.
2008-05-16, 3:45 PM #39
Jon`C...?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-16, 9:16 PM #40
anybody said anything about derailing? :carl:
"NAILFACE" - spe

↑ Up to the top!