Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → laptop.dead.
laptop.dead.
2008-05-15, 10:38 PM #1
So I've got an IBM Thinkpad T60 that I've had it for around 2 years. This past christmas I started having some troubles with the fan. It would spin really loudly all the time. The computer ran fine other than that so I never did anything about it.

Today it finally kicked the bucket. When I went to boot it up the fan started whirring around. Then it suddenly stopped and my computer made 3 loud beeps and the screen blinked "problem with fan" and proceeded to shut back down.

In other more awesome news I just got my copy of Vista Ultimate from the Window's feedback program. Score!
yay for not posting much ever
2008-05-15, 10:51 PM #2
It sounds like you just need a new fan. Since cooling is critical in laptops, it's no doubt that it would have a safeguard to stop working if the fan failed.

But maybe you just want to buy a new laptop anyway. In that case, can I have your old one? I'll pay for shipping!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-15, 11:19 PM #3
haha, if only i had the cash to buy a new one. As it is I'll probably just take it in somewhere to get it looked at and/or fixed. NoESC has a computer shop doesn't he? I think its something like 20 minutes away from me, maybe I'll take it there.
2008-05-15, 11:56 PM #4
So i did some googling, and came up with this. I tried it and blew around inside at the fan, and now it works!

Weeha, now I'm excited.
2008-05-16, 3:26 AM #5
If you fan ceased once, it will fail again, and most likely sooner rather than later, so keep your eye on it.

If your not under warranty, then replacing the fan in the thinkpad isn't that hard. As you've already noticed, the provide kickass documentation.

Also, quick Froogle for Thinkpad t60 fan gave me a list of possibilities ballparking between $20 and $50. Check your FRU number, and you should be able to get a replacement, no problem.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2008-05-16, 7:32 AM #6
fan looks pretty cheap:
http://www.thermalfx.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=41V9931&Category_Code=LaptopFans&Store_Code=T

if it goes bad i'll put it in for the massassi discount price of free, you've just gotta order the fan
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-16, 9:39 AM #7
Yeah, the fan is still really loud so I'm sure it'll fail. I'm leaving next week to work at a sports camp for 5 weeks, and won't have my laptop with me. I may just wait to order a replacement fan until after I get back since I won't be using it at all, not to mention I'll actually have the money to deal with it then.

↑ Up to the top!