Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Apocalypse Now! for FarCry
Apocalypse Now! for FarCry
2004-08-08, 1:04 PM #1
As of this week, production of the Apocalypse Now! total conversion for Farcry starts. I don't expect for it to be a huge project, mostly because FarCry already has most of the elements needed to make it. Beautiful tropical environments, multiple person vehicles appropriate guns,etc.

I plan to take all those elements already existing, and twist them to the Vietnam era. I expect the main story line to go along loosely with the movie, with added filler (because you might know, there's not a lot of actual fighting in the movie). Still going to be Apocalypse Now, none the less.

You follow the story in the eyes of Captain Willard, fighting alongside your favorites from the movie inclusing Lance, Mr. Clean, Chef, etc. Some things to expect are:

+ Authentic Vietnam War atmosphere
+ New weapons, vehicles, models
+ Immersive gameplay
+ Custom soundtrack

The mod is in the planning stages right now. We already have a few members, all people who I know personally, but we ARE currently looking for more memebers. So if you're interested, please send an email to me at : punktkerbe@gmail.com

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-08-08, 3:27 PM #2
I'd suggest using Battlefield: Vietnam instead, mainly because all you need to do is make maps, mod in story, and change the soundtrack which isn't hard at all. It's got the weapons and models down (for the most part) already.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-08, 3:56 PM #3
But Far Cry already has the tropical environments.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-08, 4:03 PM #4
... So does Vietnam?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-08, 4:06 PM #5
Not nearly as dense. Completely different types of games, too.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 4:10 PM #6
Not as dense? What the hell are you smoking?

And I think that Vietnam would pull off the Apocalypse Now! feel better. It's more grim and dull-looking, more realistic (even if the models aren't as high-poly and the metal doesn't shine like oil), because of the dull look of everything. But hey.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-08, 4:35 PM #7
You can set Far Cry so it's not so bright...Plus in Far Cry you can have an SP component.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-08, 5:13 PM #8
Yeah, not only is it going to look a whole lot better ( FarCry looks a hell of a lot better than BF:V, come on) and it has better AI as well. As well I'm trying to create actual levels, not just one huge multiplayer game with bots :P. I dont know, i'm getting BF;V in a few days, i'll see what I like best from there.

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-08-08, 5:17 PM #9
I mean the jungles are not as dense in Battlefield:Vietnam They're very nice, but Far Cry has plenty more potential, I think. Plus, it can be jsut as dark and gritty, you jsut have to set it up that way. And the engine is more suited for singleplayer. Just saying...it all depends on what kind of feel he's going for.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 5:45 PM #10
Sweet! We can kill Marlon Brando again and again.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-08, 7:19 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Not nearly as dense. Completely different types of games, too.

</font>

1. Have yoiu played Ho Chi Min Trail and the Cambodia excursion maps? Dense as hell if you ask me.

2. No argument. BF:V wouldn't work too well for a SP conversion.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!