Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Question for you school guys:
Question for you school guys:
2008-05-19, 6:01 AM #1
I hadn't realized how long I've been out of school.

Student loans seem to be a little different than I remember. Atleast, it isn't so easy to get a large loan when you're technically going to a community college. (no matter how difficult the course load is)

Is there some other type of loan I should know about that I can defer payment on?

The problem lies in that UPS pays reimburses my tuition, but I qualify for Pell grant. I never have to worry about tuition. I'll have a part time job when I move (union education purposes transfer) but it doesn't cover everything I need to live. (The cool thing about UPS is that if I suddenly no longer qualify for Pell grants that pay my tuition, I'll use stafford loans. At the end of each semester UPS pays the cost of tuition, and I only need to come up with the interest. Which after I've lived there for a year is not alot at all)

I suppose what I need is a personal loan to cover some of the costs of moving, living (like half of my rent each month), and tools. (only technical student loans cover tools specifically, I can't get one of those my school doesn't participate) I just don't want to be made to make payments on it while I'm a student. (I could make small payments while still part time time to keep the interest down, but I don't want to be required to pay until I finish school. Not because I can't afford it, but JUST in case something happens and I need to divert my extra-funds elsewhere) :(

I understand that I can take a personal loan with a very long term that has tiny monthly minimums, but that isn't what I REALLY want to do (despite that I can get a very good rate on a loan from my bank on my own, even better if my father co-signs). It's kind of stupid to pay that much interest.

Before I go and take a personal loan, what I'd like to know is if you guys know of any alternatives. I'm leary of the things I hear about on TV and am bombarded with ads on the internet about.
2008-05-19, 6:10 AM #2
The only one that I am aware of are the subsidized stafford loans. There are probably others, but that is the only one I could tell you about. Each school as far as I know has a different procedure for obtaining them.
Life is beautiful.
2008-05-19, 6:34 AM #3
Yeah, I've already taken half as large of an unsubsidized stafford loan as I could. I don't get the monnies until the semester starts though. Which is fine, I found out that I don't need all of my tools until next semester.

I was more looking at a private loan, but there aren't any places I can find that offer a private loan that you can defer payments on for so long.

This isn't a super-big problem. It's just sort of a minor pain in the ***.

Any money I spend on anything for school I'll mostly get back out of taxes. I also claim my union dues, and donate a small amount of my paycheck to charity every week. And I can claim everything I buy for work. (My work shoes, hearing protection, work-specific clothes)
2008-05-19, 10:12 AM #4
Yeah, besides the stafford loan, I don't know of any either that will let you defer until after schooling.
Life is beautiful.
2008-05-19, 11:04 AM #5
Stafford loans, I think, will only cover school costs directly. Most banks have "Private Student Loans" that you can pretty much use for anything. Chase has one that goes up to $40k a year with three payment options, including deferment of interest and payment until graduation (or you stop attending.)

That's pretty much what I'll have to do if I want to move out. I can't afford rent AND a car payment.
2008-05-19, 3:51 PM #6
I've taken out a signature student loan for a trip abroad, but I wouldn't recommend it. They have high interest rates
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-05-20, 3:09 AM #7
I could care about the interest rates.

It isn't alot of money considering how much money I'll make as an AMT.

Edit: I just wanted deferred payments because I won't have a full time job when I start.
2008-05-20, 3:42 AM #8
[http://hiphotos.baidu.com/jiushidanchun/pic/item/4622a19759a9a27e55fb961e.jpg]来源:香港公司注册网,公司注册
2008-05-20, 4:04 AM #9
Guy, I can't read chinese.

↑ Up to the top!