Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Picked my bike up today
Picked my bike up today
2008-05-20, 8:51 PM #1
It's not in the greatest condition, but for 500 bucks, I'll get over it. Hopefully my mechanic friend can take a look at it this week - maybe we'll be able to get it running over the weekend. :awesome:
Attachment: 19363/DSC_0146.JPG (104,002 bytes)
Attachment: 19364/Clipboard01.jpg (115,091 bytes)
woot!
2008-05-20, 9:29 PM #2
Don't look so bad from here, jerk!
2008-05-20, 9:31 PM #3
Originally posted by Rob:
Don't look so bad from here, jerk!

The other side isn't as pretty. Damage to the fuel tank has been repaired, and there are some good scrapes too. I'll get better pics when it's light outside, but I do have one that shows the left side.

[http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/299/dsc0145vk5.th.jpg]
woot!
2008-05-20, 9:32 PM #4
Oh peeshaw

Sand paper and a few rattler cans later and it'll look fine
2008-05-20, 9:46 PM #5
looks like she went for a slide. however it doesn't look like it had damage to the tank from the forks. neato

please tell me you're not going to eventually be an organ donor and wear a helmet?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-05-21, 5:07 AM #6
Yeah, it looks like they just slid it.

Did you say the cam chain was broken on this? Does it have compression? I don't remember.

Either way, the frame doesn't look damaged.

I hate the ****ing gas tank on these, BTW.
2008-05-21, 7:37 AM #7
Yeah, it looks like they just slid it.

Did you say the cam chain was broken on this? Does it have compression? I don't remember.

Either way, the frame doesn't look damaged.

I hate the ****ing gas tank on these, BTW.

It doesn't turn over. Apparently he reassembled the top end incorrectly.
woot!
2008-05-21, 10:50 AM #8
damn nice deal.. I would've jumped on that too
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-05-21, 11:03 AM #9
Have fun with that. :) Make sure you get it running while it's still warm.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-05-22, 11:27 AM #10
Originally posted by JLee:
It doesn't turn over. Apparently he reassembled the top end incorrectly.

Oh man, that sounds easy to fix! Lucky ***.
2008-05-22, 1:20 PM #11
Oh man, that sounds easy to fix! Lucky ***.

Yeah - and he didn't replace the oil and coolant after draining it, which leads me to believe he probably just tried to turn it over by hand...so hopefully nothing is damaged. :awesome:
woot!
2008-05-22, 10:10 PM #12
Good luck with that. I just put a viper titanium race can on mine and some new pilot powers, it's a whole different bike. Louder and a lot more fun w/out those crappy stock tires. If you need help, try http://www.svrider.com/ nice folks there.
2008-05-23, 3:48 AM #13
I wish I could pick up one of these used!

As I recall they consider this a "standard" bike, so insurance is alot less on them.

My uncle has a race tunned "standard" Kawasaki EX-500 that he might be willing to part with. But it's an 85.

I'd really love it if I could find a used Honda 599 Hornet. There are a ton of parts and stuff out there for that CB600F3 engine.
2008-05-23, 10:57 PM #14
You should just call around to a bunch of difference insurance companies. Some go by raw ccs others go by style of bike, others insure so many they actually use statistics on crashes & repair costs. I only pay 20/month for my sv650 (full coverage, increased liability limits, $500 deductible). My ZX-6R which I recently sold cost me 24/month. It was only 600 cc but it went about 160 to my current bike's 120. Just depends on your insurance company. I've been quoted anywhere from what I'm paying now all the way up to $3000/year!

EX500 are a "ninja" so some companies consider it a sport bike.

Why are you having such a hard time finding used bikes? If I search for a week here, dozens of the bikes you listed will pop up. EX500s are easy to find used, same with sv650. The 599 not so much because they weren't very popular in the states. In fact, I just saw a new (2yr old model) sell at a dealer for about a grand less than MSRP.
2008-05-24, 5:33 AM #15
Originally posted by Brian:
EX500 are a "ninja" so some companies consider it a sport bike.

Why are you having such a hard time finding used bikes?

This was from before it was the Ninja, and was more of a standard bike. It does have plasticy fairing bits. But no more than like a Suzuki GSX with a cowl.

I have problems finding used bikes because I'm picky as all mad hell, and don't have alot of money to spend because I'm going to school soon.

Edit: A dealer near where I'm moving has had a 599 for like almost three years new. I'm sure I could talk them way down, I might try that. They're fantastic bikes.

↑ Up to the top!