Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → :suicide:
:suicide:
2008-05-27, 9:12 AM #1
So Friday night I left my work parking lot, started accelerating, and suddenly the engine revved to 6,000 RPM. I immediately got off the accelerator and it dropped to 2k. Tried to give it gas and it shot right up to 6k again. It was like I was in neutral, but I was in drive. So I pull over and call my friend who is into cars. He gets me to check if there's any leaking fluid, tries to get some error codes to come up, etc. Then he tells me to start it. I do and it starts fine. He tells me to try moving. I press the accelerator and the engine revs but the car doesn't move an inch. So I call a tow truck, wait an hour for it to come, and have it taken to my local mechanic. The place is closed and I won't hear anything until the weekend is over.

They just looked at it today. Turns out I need a transmission overhaul and it's going to cost $2,400. The freaking car is only worth $7800, and I still had $2,400 left to pay off (ironic, I know). I had budgeted to pay $200 a week for the summer while I'm working full time and I'd have it paid off by the end of summer. Now I'll be no further ahead.

:suicide::suicide::suicide:
2008-05-27, 9:22 AM #2
That sucks. Yeah, transmission issues are a ***** to deal with and are always pricey. :(
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-05-27, 9:22 AM #3
so your gearbox/transmission broke...yeah, that's gonna be expensive...

how long had you had the car and how many miles has it done?
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-05-27, 9:24 AM #4
Did you get a second opinion? For that much money, someone else might quote you less.

Also, not ironic. Coincidence.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-27, 9:35 AM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Did you get a second opinion? For that much money, someone else might quote you less.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

:ninja:
2008-05-27, 9:47 AM #6
That sucks. Transmission problems are a pain...I've got a rattling coming from my transmission that will at some undefined point in the future probably break and progress to what you experienced.
Warhead[97]
2008-05-27, 9:56 AM #7
Originally posted by poley:
so your gearbox/transmission broke...yeah, that's gonna be expensive...

how long had you had the car and how many miles has it done?

I've had the car less than a year (bought in June 2007), before that it was my parents lease. It's a 2001 and has about 124,000 KM.

Originally posted by JediKirby:

Yeah, about the same. The place I took it to has done a lot of work for my family, they work on police cars, etc, so they really have a good reputation. They've always come in with the lowest price in the past.

And I knew someone was going to call me out on the use of the word ironic.

Thanks for the sympathy, all.
2008-05-27, 10:41 AM #8
Pfft, Automatics.
nope.
2008-05-27, 11:34 AM #9
Ask your buddy thats into cars if he has a lift and will replace the transmission at cost of parts for you.

It would be way cheaper that way. Even even cheaper if you pull the transmission out of another car at an auto-junkyard.
2008-05-27, 11:45 AM #10
Is the reason it's so expensive because it's automatic? My price quote for the guy to overhaul my transmission was more like half that.
Warhead[97]
2008-05-27, 11:50 AM #11
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Pfft, Automatics.

How are you supposed to pleasure your ladyfriend in the passenger seat if you are fussing with the shifter?

Automatics for the win.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-05-27, 11:56 AM #12
Originally posted by Spook:
How are you supposed to pleasure your ladyfriend in the passenger seat if you are fussing with the shifter?

Automatics for the win.

pleasure her with the shifter
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-05-27, 11:57 AM #13
Originally posted by Rob:
Ask your buddy thats into cars if he has a lift and will replace the transmission at cost of parts for you.

It would be way cheaper that way. Even even cheaper if you pull the transmission out of another car at an auto-junkyard.

He really only knows Mustangs and similar cars, mainly older ones. He helps me out with a lot of car stuff, but this really isn't his area. He's also really busy with school at the moment.

Automatics for the win.

This is true. The back seat is still king, though.
2008-05-27, 11:58 AM #14
sed 's/pleasure/hold hands with/'

Automatics for the win.

That's the ONLY disadvantage I've ever run into.
2008-05-27, 12:05 PM #15

You obviously aren't skilled enough.

:hist101:
nope.
2008-05-27, 1:18 PM #16
Yep I drive a standard transmission and I've had no problems with shifting gears and still holding hands with my gf in the passenger seat. You just need to have skill. :ninja:

See, the trick is, you use your shifting hand to hold hands, steer with your knees, and reach across your body to shift with the left hand. No problem! :hist101:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-05-27, 1:22 PM #17
Originally posted by Zell:
Yep I drive a standard transmission and I've had no problems with shifting gears and still holding hands with my gf in the passenger seat. You just need to have skill. :ninja:

See, the trick is, you use your shifting hand to hold hands, steer with your knees, and reach across your body to shift with the left hand. No problem! :hist101:

I've done this. I've got the skills, but it's simply not practical. :psyduck:
2008-05-27, 1:24 PM #18
Stupid Europe and their non-automatics.

So many suicide-related threads around as well..
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-27, 1:36 PM #19
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
I've done this. I've got the skills, but it's simply not practical. :psyduck:

It makes you look badass! :awesome:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-05-27, 1:47 PM #20
Seems to be the case all such situations.
2008-05-27, 1:57 PM #21
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Stupid Europe and their non-automatics.

So many suicide-related threads around as well..

Its all because they have automatic cars.
nope.

↑ Up to the top!