Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Brown people that haven't been slaves yet:
Brown people that haven't been slaves yet:
2008-05-31, 10:11 PM #1
That's right. White people missed a few.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-31, 10:17 PM #2
:gbk:
2008-05-31, 10:18 PM #3
We should look into developing a way to introduce indigenous peoples to modern society with out killing them off due to their unattuned immune systems. I guess we'll just have to leave them be for now.
2008-05-31, 10:59 PM #4
yeah, better start charging them taxes

o.0
2008-05-31, 11:09 PM #5
its crazy how many of these tribe are in South America but its totally understandable because of how unexplored parts of the globe are these days

i want one!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-05-31, 11:14 PM #6
From the article:
He described the threats to such tribes and their land as "a monumental crime against the natural world" and "further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilised' ones, treat the world"

Now, I can understand if he means going in with bulldozers and clearing land for a minimall. But is he really saying we should let these people be without even trying to introduce them to modern society? Why not give the people the option? It would have to be slow and over a long period of time as to not disrupt their culture. But there's something unnerving about the "leave them alone" attitude. We're supposed to never interfere, even though these people could possibly be living better lives? Like I said, I'm not talking about dropping them into modern culture. That would be stupid and not work at all. But take modern tribes in South America or Africa, they still retain their ancestry and culture without being out of touch with the modern world.

Leaving them in isolation almost seems like treating them like animals. "Ssh, don't disturb their natural habitat!" They're human beings and that have a right to know what's going on around them.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-31, 11:44 PM #7
Not brown enough. Leave 'em for later, we've got browner people to make slaves of. :v:

(Also seriously, there's never been a concerted, widespread effort that I'm aware of to make natives of this hemisphere into slaves as far as I'm aware. Certainly not on the level of the African slave trade.)
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-05-31, 11:55 PM #8
We're currently making them slaves right now. The entire South American continent is funding America. Nearly every single country is run by some rich white guy, or is tied to some white guy, that sells labor, crops, and really rich natural resources to the United States for pennies of what it's worth. The nation could've been as rich and prosperous as early America was, except there were even more yellow people there than red people here, so they didn't even need to call Africa for their slaves.

I didn't mean to make this thread political, but so few people recognize the fact that America has never been, and probably never will be self sustained. America doesn't even follow its own American dream, and probably hasn't earned a dollar of its own money since settler days. Not that any other strong civilization has gotten there without cheating a little bit. At least they were honest about creating classes and lesser people to afford the rich their luxuries.

Sigh, humans.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 12:23 AM #9
Well... yeah, that's a fair enough point. It's not exactly slavery in that if they weren't gaining from it in comparison to their prior circumstances, they'd bail, but it's certainly exploitative.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-01, 2:56 AM #10
Not exactly slavery, but not so far off to simply be called exploitation. Citizens of these nations live in complete terror of their leaders/governments, and have absolutely no means out of their situation. The only means is violent retaliation, which pretty much means even more suffering for their people.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 3:01 AM #11
who gives a **** just leave them alone... if they want to me modernized they'll come to us
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-01, 4:49 AM #12
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
who gives a **** just leave them alone... if they want to me modernized they'll come to us

what?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-06-01, 6:40 AM #13
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:

Not if they don't know it's there.

I can't help but think of the "leave them alone!" people as Chris Crocker.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-06-01, 7:27 AM #14
The 'leave them alone' attitude is only held by people who think of them as animals.

And JediKirby is :downswords:
2008-06-01, 7:57 AM #15
Why, now? What, do you have a slightly different opinion on South American countries, and you're calling me retarded for not agreeing with your slight alteration of my opinion, like in absolutely every other thread where you try to claim my opinion is wrong?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 8:26 AM #16
I think that their current way of life is no worse than ours, and I think that we should leave them alone until we have something to offer them that's a little better than an extra 30 years they can spend rotting in a cubicle.

Or maybe we should innoculate them against diseases they don't have, educate them to do things that they cannot do, give them farm machinery they cannot operate and give them a religion that has zero social, historical or linguistic relevance to them. You know. Because clearly what they have right now isn't good enough.
2008-06-01, 8:52 AM #17
Quote:
Why, now? What, do you have a slightly different opinion on South American countries, and you're calling me retarded for not agreeing with your slight alteration of my opinion, like in absolutely every other thread where you try to claim my opinion is wrong?

Yes.
2008-06-01, 9:46 AM #18
I like how the first two pictures, no one is around

In the next three you can see that they're readying their spears and drawing their bows like they're going to shoot the airplane.

IT'S JUST SO ADORABLE.
2008-06-01, 11:04 AM #19
Originally posted by JM:
The 'leave them alone' attitude is only held by people who think of them as animals.

no I don't think of them at all.. I could care less
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-01, 11:08 AM #20
PS, they aren't brown people

Clearly they're orange.

I guess being color blind is another one of jedikirby's midget super powers!
2008-06-01, 11:11 AM #21
The fact that there still are undiscovered tribes that have survived in isolation despite the Conquistadors and other external ding-dongs is pretty damn awesome.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-06-01, 11:17 AM #22
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Not exactly slavery, but not so far off to simply be called exploitation. Citizens of these nations live in complete terror of their leaders/governments, and have absolutely no means out of their situation. The only means is violent retaliation, which pretty much means even more suffering for their people.

That's something they'll have to work out on their own. Unless they can get their stuff together and get some decent governments together, the only thing they'll be able to market viably on the world market is cheap labor. There are tonnes of unskilled workers in the world, and they just don't command a very high price. That's why we outsource so many things in the US; people in other countries are happy to do it for much less than the 5.15 a day people in the US will do it. It doesn't make sense to do that kind of thing here.

Until undeveloped countries starting establishing governments that can enforce law and order well enough that businesses become more viable, they'll be stuck with crappy jobs or no jobs. Take China for example. We've gotten rich off of their cheap labor, but now that they're starting to become more-self reliant, educated and began encourage private businesses they are going to start demanding higher prices for their services.

You can't simply "pay higher prices" for things to make the situation fair. That's not how economics works. And unless we can get machines to do all our manual labor there's no way first nations could sustain their degree of prosperity on their own.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
I think that their current way of life is no worse than ours, and I think that we should leave them alone until we have something to offer them that's a little better than an extra 30 years they can spend rotting in a cubicle.

Oh yes, sustenance farming, no access to even basic health care, possibly strange superstitions that cause certain members of society to be unfairly or cruelly treated. They're way better off... than crappiest areas of Africa.
2008-06-01, 11:43 AM #23
The South American economy is much different, obi. They have a great deal of resources and specialization that they could benefit from selling at fair prices, but it's their leaders that are the problem, not the people's subservience. I'd agree with you were we talking about China or other wasteland nations, but South America is just as rich as America was in its beginning, and has the potential to feed the world over, and solve natural crisis, yet it continues to be an incubator for wealthy American nest eggs. There are significant differences between South American resource and labor, and China's labor. Both need reform, but South America is the one we could actually help.

It goes back to the "Don't support or deal with governments that completely disregard their citizens well being" ideology that rich companies, and 1st world governments just don't seem to understand. This also falls on those 1st world nations' terrible "ethics" of consumerism, material power, and land domination. I still don't see any of that changing any time soon, so I say we have an old fashioned nation liberation in South American countries, but instead of starting a war with the people, just destroy the big American businesses through embargo or sniper bullets. I think we should start with Jamaica. Granted, they hate us enough already.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 11:45 AM #24
yes, because healthcare is so necessary to people with no exposure to most diseases, and their herbal medicine gleaned from the rainforest is so inferior to ours that we have to steal it, bottle it and market it.

read some anthropology books. better yet read some books about a people visited by someone before governments in "their" country wanted their land, and then again after. often what you'll find is they are much worse off after contact with "civilization." higher mortality rates, higher rates of infection, decreased standard of living and on the whole unhappier. meanwhile "their" government is destroying their home to make way for farmland or oil wells.

think about it this way. you live in your little suburban house in your little suburban town. the government decides that "oh, this would be a great place to put a nuclear power plant! this isnt a particularly nice neighborhood anyway. we'll give you some money for education and housing" they kick you out, force you to live in collective housing till they diecide what to do with you, make you help in the destruction of your neighborhood and the construction of the new plant, then once construction is done, they hire only the most helpful of your neighbors to work in the plant, and promptly forget about you.

not the greatest analogy, but its essentially whats being done to people like that down there. get some perspective.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-06-01, 12:09 PM #25
Originally posted by JediKirby:
The South American economy is much different, obi. They have a great deal of resources and specialization that they could benefit from selling at fair prices, but it's their leaders that are the problem, not the people's subservience. I'd agree with you were we talking about China or other wasteland nations, but South America is just as rich as America was in its beginning, and has the potential to feed the world over, and solve natural crisis, yet it continues to be an incubator for wealthy American nest eggs. There are significant differences between South American resource and labor, and China's labor. Both need reform, but South America is the one we could actually help.

That's what I said. Crappy governments. It takes more than resources to make a good economy. Just look at Africa. There's really not much we can do to brute force it though, unless we want to go build and empire.
Quote:
It goes back to the "Don't support or deal with governments that completely disregard their citizens well being" ideology that rich companies, and 1st world governments just don't seem to understand. This also falls on those 1st world nations' terrible "ethics" of consumerism, material power, and land domination. I still don't see any of that changing any time soon, so I say we have an old fashioned nation liberation in South American countries, but instead of starting a war with the people, just destroy the big American businesses through embargo or sniper bullets. I think we should start with Jamaica. Granted, they hate us enough already.

With nations like that, they pretty much only have the options of "no job and starving" or "crappy jobs and subsisting". If it were possible to pursue better opportunities with domestic business people would. The fact that multinational corporations exploit countries who don't enforce fair laws, goes with out saying. Running around in circles with people act like people won't change anything. Governments fulfilling their primary function do.

Moral issues aside, empire building a la England can do quite a lot of good. Establishing proper rule of law and basic rights, enable nations ridden with corruption to get back on their feet. Of course, when that turns into more exploitation as it often did, you're just back where you started. Also, a lot depends the people's desire to make it work. That is essentially the situation in Iraq, and it's simply not going to work because too many of them are crazy.

Originally posted by Ford:
yes, because healthcare is so necessary to people with no exposure to most diseases, and their herbal medicine gleaned from the rainforest is so inferior to ours that we have to steal it, bottle it and market it.

Yeah, the explosion in the world population couldn't have anything to do with the modernizing of medicine that happened around the same time, could it? Imagine if any one of the infections you've gotten on the course of you're life could have crippled or killed you.
Quote:
read some anthropology books. better yet read some books about a people visited by someone before governments in "their" country wanted their land, and then again after. often what you'll find is they are much worse off after contact with "civilization." higher mortality rates, higher rates of infection, decreased standard of living and on the whole unhappier. meanwhile "their" government is destroying their home to make way for farmland or oil wells.

That's because their governments are corrupt third world crapfests, and their immune systems can handle the sudden massive influx of diseases.
2008-06-01, 1:47 PM #26
Pequeninos.
2008-06-01, 2:51 PM #27
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Oh yes, sustenance farming, no access to even basic health care, possibly strange superstitions that cause certain members of society to be unfairly or cruelly treated. They're way better off... than crappiest areas of Africa.

Hmm. When was the last time a gay guy got lynched? The last time an abortionist got shot?

Here's a question for you: what are they going to do to earn their food? Are we supposed to give them a free ride? Will we give them twinkies and coca-cola and MREs? Or do you want another band of itinerants using chainsaws to slash-and-burn so they can plant the seeds we told them they have to plant? When the soil is leeched out after one crop they can always move on, right? They're alive, they're obviously eating something out there.

Modern healthcare... so we open a hospital in the middle of the jungle? Do we have them rely upon our supplies, and teach them first aid in a dialect that quite likely no other person on the entire planet speaks?

I just don't understand what it is that you want to do for these people.
2008-06-01, 2:56 PM #28
what are they going to do to earn their food? Are we supposed to give them a free ride?

That's what a lot of Americans want from the government.
2008-06-01, 4:38 PM #29
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:

That's not the point, we cannot offer them anything that we can all agree is an improvement.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-06-01, 5:43 PM #30
Hmm. When was the last time a gay guy got lynched? The last time an abortionist got shot?

A couple of times in the last fifty years out of hundreds of millions of people? That not the same thing as a society that is, say, overwhelmingly oppressive to women. Cultures have done horrific things on a massive scale to huge portions of their population. The atrocities of the twentieth centuries weren't really much worse than everyday life in the ancient world. We happen to be living it a time where that's not as much the case. Today's first world nations are about as good as it has every been for human rights.
Quote:
Here's a question for you: what are they going to do to earn their food? Are we supposed to give them a free ride? Will we give them twinkies and coca-cola and MREs? Or do you want another band of itinerants using chainsaws to slash-and-burn so they can plant the seeds we told them they have to plant? When the soil is leeched out after one crop they can always move on, right? They're alive, they're obviously eating something out there.

They're people, they can learn. Obviously it would take a lot of work be very dedicated people. Missionaries did a pretty good job of that in the 20th century.

Quote:

Modern healthcare... so we open a hospital in the middle of the jungle? Do we have them rely upon our supplies, and teach them first aid in a dialect that quite likely no other person on the entire planet speaks?

Obviously dropping in a couple of guys in with some MREs to say, "Hey there's a big world out there!" would be pointless. But if someone were willing to take the time to introduce them properly, over the course of a generation, they could greatly improve their lives. We haven't spent the last five thousand year developing societies and nations for nothing. It would be nice to at least give them opportunity.
Quote:
I just don't understand what it is that you want to do for these people.

The thing that all of humanity wants. The opportunity to learn, grow, understand the world.
2008-06-01, 5:49 PM #31
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:

lololol cheap political point! Lack of social comprehension! Generalization of welfare! Inconsiderate selfishness with no concept of society or economy. Made up history during history class! Posts in every thread and then never checks back to defend himself! lololol posts in threads that have nothing to do with conservative politics but decides to post anyway! lololol troll troll troll!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 7:52 PM #32
1. I'm refering to foreign aid.
2. I do check back on threads and defend myself. If I miss something, it is a legitimate, very infrequent miss.
3. Don't classify me as "conservative". There isn't two sides to politics, if you haven't noticed.

No need for you to go berserk over a single comment.
2008-06-02, 12:18 AM #33
Damn, I'd like to go join them.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-06-02, 2:17 AM #34
Looks fake. Since it's BBC reporting on it, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-06-02, 7:24 PM #35
The second video in the list pretty much sums up why "integration" probably won't work. Realize that these tribes would have some 4,000+ years of "catching up" to do.

http://www.survival-international.org/news/video/jarawa

Also, this is the most uncanny picture of a spider monkey I have ever seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Opicka.jpg
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-06-02, 8:01 PM #36

That's certainly a very good point. I'd just like to point out that I only think they should be made aware of other cultures. I have no idea how feasible it would be to do so.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-03, 4:40 AM #37
[http://www.wondermark.com/comics/404.gif]
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009

↑ Up to the top!