Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Zune vs iPod
Zune vs iPod
2008-06-01, 10:44 AM #1
The Zune is going to be available in Canada in a couple of weeks, and I'm in the market for a new portable mp3 player.

I listen with Sennheiser CX300 earphones, and none of my music is in lossless form. Video playback is a very nice thing that I will use from time to time, but is hardly going to be the primary use of the device. It really sucks that neither of these players can play DivX without transcoding first.

My budget is ~250$, so both the iPod Classic 80gb and the Zune 80gb are the right price.

Are there any other options that are available in Canada? Creative doesn't seem to have a comparable player at this price, and it's hard to find iRiver/Cowon at decent prices in Toronto.

Should I get the Zune or an iPod and why?

Also no one in Canada has the zune right now so if you have one please tell me what you think.
2008-06-01, 10:49 AM #2
Zune's great if you:

Have Windows
Don't want to use it as a portable drive
Are okay with some music being DRM'ed

I got an older Zune and havn't touched it in months though. Right now it's only purpose is a music hard drive for my Xbox 360.
2008-06-01, 10:52 AM #3
iAudio X5

... appears to be discontinued, tho'. Boh!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-06-01, 11:03 AM #4
I like the concept of the Zune marketplace more than iTunes in that I love the idea of a subscription service. I'm still an iPod guy though, had them since the 3G and they never disappoint.

Actually that's not true, I just sold my iPod Classic because it is a very sluggish player in terms of navigating the UI. I don't know if Zune is better, but its something to consider.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-01, 11:10 AM #5
Did you try upgrading the firmware on the classic? The sluggish menus problem is definitely enough to turn the tide for the Zune, if it's not easily fixed.

How exactly does the DRM for the Zune work? None of the music on my PC has DRM, am I going to face any restrictions if I choose the Zune?
2008-06-01, 11:13 AM #6
I have the Classic 80gb, haven't had any problems with the UI, and mine is about 1 gb from being full.

If you were closer I'd sell it to you so I can get the 160gb
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-01, 11:16 AM #7
I would have gotten a zune instead of my ipod. It's got that familiar windows feel, and it's got more attractive features. I also hate itunes. But 80 gig ipods from ex girlfriends are better than the 30 gig 1st gen zune I would've bought.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 11:30 AM #8
Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Did you try upgrading the firmware on the classic? The sluggish menus problem is definitely enough to turn the tide for the Zune, if it's not easily fixed.

How exactly does the DRM for the Zune work? None of the music on my PC has DRM, am I going to face any restrictions if I choose the Zune?

I upgraded the firmware when I got it a month or two ago and it still seemed sluggish unless they released a newer firmware since then?

I actually thought a lot of the tracks on the Zune market place were DRM-free MP3s (the ones you buy that is - I'm not sure about the songs downloaded on a subscription base.)
2008-06-01, 11:44 AM #9
over 1/3rd of their library is DRM free, which is essentially all of the decent, non-mainstream stuff. If you want Britney Spears though, you're not going to be able to copy it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 12:02 PM #10
Yeah, their MP3 library is pretty big and it's expanding at an amazing rate. Only a few months ago the number of available MP3s was 1/10th what it is now.

Also, the Zune Pass is frickin' amazing and I use it all the time. I highly recommend the Zune.
2008-06-01, 12:05 PM #11
Yeah, if I had a zune, I'd probably stop downloading music illegally. The Zune Pass is exactly what the music industry should've done a long time ago.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-01, 12:23 PM #12
Zune was sluggish, but a patch a while ago fixed it. I have no problems with the Zune other than that my foreign music is on the market place, but says "Unavailable", and thus I can't download it :argh:
2008-06-01, 12:36 PM #13
try to locate a used 80GB ipod video and rockbox it
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-06-01, 1:23 PM #14
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
try to locate a used 80GB ipod video and rockbox it

I actually did that. 5.5G 80GB ipod video. Works pretty well for my OGG files, but the seek times are a little slow sometimes.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-06-01, 1:40 PM #15
You won't have any restrictions on music you already had. It only DRM's music you download from the marketplace.

I have a Zune 80 Original, and I bigheart it. If you can, you should get an Original too: they ****ing rock and have the best packaging ever. I also have the Zune Pass, which is great. I can download *almost* anything I want and I don't have to feel guilty about pirating. Every once in a while I run into an album you can't download on the Pass, but those are pretty few and far between.

https://zuneoriginals.net/BSTSite/Flash/ZuneFlashSite.aspx
2008-06-01, 3:15 PM #16
I like my zune.. I'm not a fan of apples, mac's, or itunes so that's why I choose to stay away from ipod.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-01, 3:21 PM #17
hey what do you guys think should I get it?
Attachment: 19470/lordofthezune.jpg (108,563 bytes)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-01, 3:45 PM #18
I love my Zune - though as of the recent firmware update since I'm located in Canada, I don't have access to the marketplace (meaning I can't browse for new podcasts ontop of the other music services).

Once the service opens back up in Canada, its Zunepass for sure. I love the unit too (Its the 30gig Original), got it used on eBay and its done everything I needed.
2008-06-01, 3:54 PM #19
Oldschool Zune 30gig crew checkin' in.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-06-01, 4:30 PM #20
zune looks awesome. thats probably the biggest reason id get it
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-01, 11:12 PM #21
As a owner of both new Zune 80GB and iPod, I'll way in

Frankly, if you would've asked me about a month ago, I would've said don't get the Zune cuz I hated the software. But it is now DEFINITLEY much more user friendly, and more powerful. They have an awesome "find album info" feature that searches stores, finds album art, will edit titles and fix tags and everything. As far as the hardware, I like it more than the iPod, in terms of prettiness, as well as useability. I dont' have much to say about the marketplace, cuz I hardly use it

I'm still down with the iPod, and frankly, you know what you are getting for sure when you get an iPod. But I would tell you to go with the Zune, because it is getting powerful and better as time goes by (recent developments: they finally put in gapless playback, games are now playable with people developing their own apps/games, software is getting better, etc.)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-06-02, 12:12 PM #22
Are they still forcing you to install safari w/ itunes?
\(='_'=)/
2008-06-02, 12:26 PM #23
It installed Safari last time I had to reinstall Itunes. :(

If you have Xbox and a zune, they use the same points BTW.
2008-06-02, 12:46 PM #24
Originally posted by silent_killa:
Are they still forcing you to install safari w/ itunes?

They never forced you, the box was just automatically checked.
2008-06-02, 12:48 PM #25
I totally didn't choose to install safari.

It just did.
2008-06-02, 1:01 PM #26
Damn, that's bull****.
2008-06-02, 1:22 PM #27
It also reinstalled it last time it autoupdated.

I'm sure theres an option I can set that makes it stop pissing me off but I'm too lazy to find it
2008-06-02, 1:28 PM #28
Yeah, that is pretty bs. CP you should prolly take note of that too.
\(='_'=)/
2008-06-02, 7:25 PM #29
I've never had iTunes install Safari on any of the (3) computers I've installed it on.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-06-02, 8:02 PM #30
From what I recall, there are two downloads, and if you don't pick the correct (and hidden) one, it installs Safari.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-02, 8:17 PM #31
Itunes isnt that bad. Its better on OSX though.
2008-06-03, 9:37 AM #32
Originally posted by Emon:
From what I recall, there are two downloads, and if you don't pick the correct (and hidden) one, it installs Safari.

Sounds like the same deal as getting iTunes without realizing when you install Quicktime.
2008-06-03, 9:38 AM #33
Itunes installs quicktime almost no matter what you do.

I ****ing HATE quicktime. It's so ****ing ANNOYING.
2008-06-03, 9:45 AM #34
it is so 6 years ago to hate quicktime.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-06-03, 9:47 AM #35
I never understood why people hate quicktime
2008-06-03, 9:51 AM #36
Originally posted by mb:
I never understood why people hate quicktime

Because it hijacks browser MIME settings and the only way to remove its poison-dripping crap-encrusted barbed talons from your windows install is to nuke the whole thing and start over?

I like quicktime as a codec and as a player, I just happen to be of the opinion that my browser's implementation of PNG is far better than an awful plugin that doesn't support PNG alpha.
2008-06-03, 10:16 AM #37
I don't mind the iPod, but iTunes makes me want to burn computers down. For this reason, I do not own an iPod. I refuse to even work on iTunes. My dad keeps trying to get me to come over and download music for him, and I keep telling him I'd rather cut my own wrists than work on iTunes.

So, with that said, Zune would probably be better, but I have no experience there.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-03, 10:32 AM #38
Dude.. Work on Itunes?

It works pretty damn fine for downloading music.

What sucks is that it installs safari and quicktime all the ****ing time.
2008-06-03, 10:45 AM #39
Well I got a Zune last night (cheapest one, 4GB Black.) I got the Zune pass so I'm doing the subscription model, and its awesome. I downloaded 300 songs from several bands that I had heard in passing / from friends, that I wanted to listen to and would otherwise not buy or could not find a torrent. One bad thing is that with the subscription pass, not all songs are available, but I made do.

That being said, the device itself is excellent, as someone who has used an iPod since 2003 getting a handle on the Zune wasn't hard at all even with the different UI. I actually prefer the UI to the iPod in terms of navigating.
2008-06-03, 11:07 AM #40
Originally posted by Rob:
What sucks is that it installs safari and quicktime all the ****ing time.

apple: YOU WILL USE OUR SOFTWARE AND YOU WILL LIKE IT OR ELSE!!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!