Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Headphones
Headphones
2008-06-05, 2:37 PM #1
So I'm looking for a new set of headphones. I'd like to spend under $100 for them.

The biggest thing is that they have to be strong and wont break in my bag or something. Oh and also, I hate inner ear headphones so dont suggest those :P
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-05, 2:46 PM #2
I just bought these for myself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158051

They're working fine, except the earpieces are a bit small. If I don't wear them right they hurt my ears.

2008-06-05, 2:52 PM #3
I think Sen. HD 555's can be had for that if you look in the right places.
2008-06-05, 3:04 PM #4
Originally posted by mb:
The biggest thing is that they have to be strong and wont break in my bag or something.

i'm assuming you mean them to be portable

Sennheiser PX100s $40 from amazon
Koss KSC75s under $20

earbuds
Sony E888 $80 from audiocubes
i like to recommend the sennheiser MX400 and 450 but they discontinued those models and i know nothing about the new ones but from what i just read they are possibly better looks like ~$20-25
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-06-05, 3:19 PM #5
Open or sealed? Open headphones tend to provide better sound, while closed headphones tend to block out outside noise.

Actually, closed headphones these days are really good. Open designs make it easier, I think, to engineer good headphones, because you don't have to worry about the sound reflecting back towards the ears (it just exists the other side, hence open). But these days closed headphones are excellent as well.

Anyway, if you don't mind open headphones, the Koss KSC75s are amazing. They're clip-ons, but don't worry! They're comfortable. The ear clips are a metal wire embedded inside a hardish rubber. They can be bent to fit your ears.

Seriously, the KSC75s cost about $15 and go toe to toe with headphones that are around $80. I'm not kidding. I think it's the fact that, the drivers inside them were designed in like 1982, and since then all R&D has been payed for and manufacturing has gotten so good that they can sell a ridiculously good product for next to nothing.

The only downside to the KSC75s is that they look like UFOs. :tinfoil: But you're an art *** just paint them lol
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-05, 3:31 PM #6
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Pro-4AA-Studio-Quality-Headphones/dp/B00004Z7G9/ref=pd_bbs_12?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212705032&sr=8-12
Back again
2008-06-05, 4:58 PM #7
I would recommend the Sennheiser PX noise canceling headphones (200?). I've had the PX100's for over 4 years now and my only complaint with them is that I didn't pay enough to get the next model up that are closed.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-06-05, 6:19 PM #8
Eh, the PX200's aren't supposed to be that good. Sennheiser has a newer model that uses active noise canceling, supposedly it's :awesome: and blows away all other active noise canceling systems. But the price is :gonk:
2008-06-05, 7:43 PM #9
the PX200s are better than their reputation... it's just if you can't get the right seal the bass ends up sounding weak
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-06-05, 8:33 PM #10
I need new cans too. It totally sucks shopping for headphones in Toronto. HD-555s are 154.99 for the 120 ohm version, 169.99 for the 50 ohm version.

I guess I'll have to scour the internet for a shop in the US that will ship to Canada, if it means paying 25$ shipping.
2008-06-05, 8:42 PM #11
I have the HD-555s. They're awesome. Very comfy. Their only downside is that they're huge, at normal listening volume everyone around you can hear what you're listening too, and I carry 7 and a half feet of the ten foot cable in a bundled wad. Also, buy a corded adapter. That way you don't have an inch and a half of hard plastic sticking out of your headphone jack.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-06-05, 8:58 PM #12
Do you have the 120 or 50 ohm version? Do the headphones get enough power without an amplifier?
2008-06-05, 9:04 PM #13
i have a pair of Sennheiser HD-515s. they've worked really well the past 3-4 years and they had cost ~$100 when i got em.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-06-06, 8:56 AM #14
Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Do you have the 120 or 50 ohm version? Do the headphones get enough power without an amplifier?

50 ohm. I didn't even know there WAS a 120 until you said there was. As far as getting enough power. *shrug* I guess so. I'm no expert. Everything I plug them into though sounds wonderful though and I never have to turn the volume up much.

My dad has the HD 280's. I tried those before I got the 555's. They're very nice, but after about 30 minutes my head physically hurt from wearing them and the treble in everything sounded way too high. No amount of adjusting ever made them feel more comfortable, and I never played too much with trying to bring the treble down. Those were also closed, and I found that to be a bit disconcerting after awhile. That's why I went with the 555's. They sounded more comfortable, they were open (making them more like what I'm used to), and at the time I bought them, they were ridiculously cheap.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-06-06, 4:29 PM #15

Sensitivity matters more than impedance, I'm sure they're fine.
2008-06-07, 10:27 AM #16
Yea basically I'm looking for something that aren't earbuds and are portable. I typically only use headphones when I'm walking around anyway. The clip ons... Not really sure. I had a pair of clipons once and they werent very fun to wear.
2008-06-07, 4:15 PM #17
Yeah, but most clipons are awful. These are :awesome:

Notice the ear clips:
[http://www.progamingshop.sk/images/ksc75.jpg]

They're wire embedded in a softtouch plastic material. You can bend them to fit.
2008-06-07, 4:23 PM #18
ahh i hadnt noticed that before. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have to take the time (AFTER BSG!) to look into them
2008-06-07, 11:14 PM #19
I'd just order like 2-3 of them. Eventually the cord will go out, and you'll lose 1 channel of sound and need to replace them anyways. They just won't last with heavy daily use.
2008-06-08, 1:34 AM #20
I'd just order like 2-3 of them. Eventually the cord will go out, and you'll lose 1 channel of sound and need to replace them anyways. They just won't last with heavy daily use.

That just happened to mine :( Default earbuds that came with my Sansa E280, and I have to hold the cord at a certain angle to get sound out of the right earpiece. I guess I'll be looking into some of these myself.
2008-06-08, 7:05 AM #21
They just won't last with heavy daily use.

The KSC75s will. They also have a lifetime warranty so buying more than one is kind of stupid.
2008-06-08, 7:37 AM #22
Keep a backup pair for when one is being RMA'd.
2008-06-12, 10:23 AM #23
Received my pair of Koss KSC75s in the post the other day, bought on the recommendations in this thread. And they're worth them. They're very comfortable, although I do find it quite tricky to tuck my hair back behind my ears whilst wearing them. Luckily, that's the only complaint I can make, since the sound quality is incredible for the cost. Listening to On An Island by David Gilmour through them at the moment, and it's good. It's so good.

↑ Up to the top!