Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Criminals sure are generous these days...
Criminals sure are generous these days...
2008-06-07, 2:25 PM #1
So I came home from work the other day to find my car window smashed.

Since I walk to work, I had not noticed my smashed window earlier this morning. My room mate told me that he heard something loud two nights ago and went out on the porch to see what it was, which presumably startled the attempted car thief and they ran off.

My room mate didn't notice anyone or see the smashed window on my car as it was one of the smaller windows. He had only noticed when he was pulling out of the driveway later that afternoon. The cop with whom I filed the police report later told me they break through the smaller windows because it makes it less obvious that its a stolen car.

[http://photos-126.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v258/64/113/11600126/n11600126_31559866_398.jpg]

Anyway, I was vacuuming out the glass this morning and found this:

[http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v262/64/113/11600126/n11600126_31561374_3472.jpg]

Apparently this car thief was very startled, because he left his $165 watch behind, which cost more than replacing my glass:

[http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/roessnakhan/watch.png]

:awesome:
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-07, 2:30 PM #2
Awesome! You sure it doesn't belong to anyone you were ferrying around? Maybe that's what he broke in for...
2008-06-07, 2:33 PM #3
If you don't care about offsetting the glass price, I say keep it. Otherwise, sell it so you can offset the glass price.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-06-07, 2:35 PM #4
See if they registered the watch serial.

Then go break their windows and leave the watch behind.
2008-06-07, 2:38 PM #5
lol, I vote for Rob's idea.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-06-07, 2:52 PM #6
Originally posted by saberopus:
Awesome! You sure it doesn't belong to anyone you were ferrying around? Maybe that's what he broke in for...

No, my friends don't wear watches, and if they do they're usually Wal*Mart watches, not expensive ones like that. I can't see them breaking in for it either, it was hidden behind the passenger seat, I only noticed it because I bent down to pull out some broken glass.

Originally posted by Rob:
See if they registered the watch serial.

Then go break their windows and leave the watch behind.

Haha, love it!
2008-06-07, 2:54 PM #7
Or break in and leave a note saying "thanks for the watch"
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-07, 3:03 PM #8
... it's probably a stolen watch...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-07, 3:04 PM #9
Yeah I assumed that, but I can't imagine placing a 'found' ad for it.
2008-06-07, 3:05 PM #10
You know, watches do leave fingerprints.

If you left it in an untouched condition and the person who smashed your window is a repeat offender (which is not uncommon), you could actually track the person down with police records...
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-07, 3:06 PM #11
OR YOU COULD WEAR IT AND LOOK CLASSY
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-07, 3:11 PM #12
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

If you left it in an untouched condition and the person who smashed your window is a repeat offender (which is not uncommon), you could actually track the person down with police records...

I doubt they could pull any usable prints off it. I touched it when I picked it up figuring one of my friends dropped it in the car, then I realized they don't wear watches. My sister and her boyfriend also handled it.
2008-06-07, 4:00 PM #13
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

Silly echoman...watches don't leave fingerprints. Fingers leave fingerprints. :P
woot!
2008-06-07, 4:28 PM #14
I wish the criminals that robbed my new house were more generous. But at least not retarded.

My friends and I are moving into my parents old house. They just moved out, and there was still *some* stuff there. The night we decided to move in, we went out and bought some kitcheny stuff like dishes, pots and pans, etc.

When I came by the next day, it had been broken into though a side window. All they took was silverware.

The next day when I got there, it had been broken into again. This time they took some burnt cd's, a set of knives, plates, glasses, a dust pan, and tweezers. But they left my 3-disc stereo that was sitting in plain view on the counter. Oh, and they left their Brisk Iced Tea.
2008-06-07, 4:40 PM #15
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
I doubt they could pull any usable prints off it. I touched it when I picked it up figuring one of my friends dropped it in the car, then I realized they don't wear watches. My sister and her boyfriend also handled it.

:colbert:

Originally posted by JLee:
Silly echoman...watches don't leave fingerprints. Fingers leave fingerprints. :P

:colbert:

Well, if they were reaching a door handle after breaking the window, I bet the it could contain fingerprints too.

But meh..
2008-06-07, 6:06 PM #16
Call the police department and ask if there have been reports of stolen watches recently. I doubt someone reported 1 watch, but if a thief took a whole bunch of things including the watch, you might be able to find the owner. How big of a city do you live in?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-07, 6:25 PM #17
Yeah I assumed that, but I can't imagine placing a 'found' ad for it.

The cops aren't going to bring in someone to lift fingerprints for a broken car window.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-07, 6:29 PM #18
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Call the police department and ask if there have been reports of stolen watches recently. I doubt someone reported 1 watch, but if a thief took a whole bunch of things including the watch, you might be able to find the owner. How big of a city do you live in?

I sent my local PD (Albuquerque Police Department) an e-mail giving them the watch model and seeing if anything was reported. My city is big for where I live, its probably about half the size of Austin, TX.
2008-06-07, 7:09 PM #19
Originally posted by Avenger:
The cops aren't going to bring in someone to lift fingerprints for a broken car window.

my truck got broken into awhile back and the sheriff dusted the whole damn thing.

not that it did anything for me beyond getting my truck all dusty.

small towns are kinda nice i guess

o.0
2008-06-07, 7:23 PM #20

If there is a string of car burglaries in an area, they better damn should. Not saying this particular case is within such a string, but it very well could.
2008-06-07, 8:00 PM #21
Little car burglaries aren't really a blip on the police radar.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-07, 8:36 PM #22
so because california cant control crime, neither should the rest of the world?

o.0
2008-06-07, 8:38 PM #23
Little car burglaries aren't really a blip on the police radar.

And attempted car burglaries are even tinier of a blip.
2008-06-07, 11:33 PM #24
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Oh, and they left their Brisk Iced Tea.

well yea, Brisk sucks
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-06-08, 12:01 AM #25
Ian has terrible tastes in pop.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-08, 12:27 AM #26
no, brisk sucks

try honest tea for something that actually tastes good

I can't stand anything with corn syrup anymore.. so gross.

o.0
2008-06-08, 1:03 AM #27
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Ian has terrible tastes in pop.

just because i can reach the higher up buttons on the pop machine doesn't mean anything
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-06-08, 10:57 AM #28
Quote:
pop

IT'S SODA.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-06-08, 11:05 AM #29
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
IT'S SODA.

now thats just crazy talk.
2008-06-08, 11:11 AM #30
The original name from which both are derived is soda pop, and they are both correct.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-08, 11:32 AM #31
As long as you don't call it a coke. :argh:

(And the "soda" argument has more weight, for there other terms derived from "soda pop" that only use "soda", such as "soda jerk".)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-06-08, 1:32 PM #32
(soda)
2008-06-08, 1:35 PM #33
No, my friends don't wear watches, and if they do they're usually Wal*Mart watches, not expensive ones like that.

meh, I thought a $165 watch was a Wal-Mart watch. ;)
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-06-08, 1:46 PM #34
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Oh, and they left their Brisk Iced Tea.

I find this ironic because the only iced tea I like is Arizona Iced Tea, and you live in Arizona.

My parents car was broken into a few years ago, they also smashed the small window. Pretty sure they smashed the passenger side window too though, so so much for that theory.

Anyway, cool that it sort of worked out with the watch and everything.
2008-06-09, 9:14 AM #35
That is one of the greatest ironies i've ever heard. You should hold that watch proudly and wear it im public, because if your theif see's that on you... ohhhhhh that would be awesome.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2008-06-09, 9:38 AM #36
Originally posted by Wookie06:
meh, I thought a $165 watch was a Wal-Mart watch. ;)

I have never understood what the deal is with service members and expensive watches, haha.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-06-09, 10:09 AM #37
Sunglasses, too. I'm pretty sure it's because it's really hard to display nice things when you're issued everything you wear and it is identical to everyone else. You can't exactly dress nicely and uniquely in the armed forces.
Warhead[97]
2008-06-09, 10:29 AM #38
Originally posted by Aglar:
I find this ironic because the only iced tea I like is Arizona Iced Tea, and you live in Arizona.

Are you trying to imply that you broke into Vin's house?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-06-09, 10:36 AM #39
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Are you trying to imply that you broke into Vin's house?
:ninja:
2008-06-09, 10:38 AM #40
i broke into vinny's house but i didn't steal anything
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!