Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anti-virus
Anti-virus
2008-06-08, 9:11 PM #1
Do you use it?

I haven't since 2001. No firewalls either (except obviously the router, which does a plenty fine job since I'm not DMZ)
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-06-08, 9:15 PM #2
My anti virus is not being retarded and having a router.
2008-06-08, 9:22 PM #3
I do have antivirus installed, but I'm not overly concerned about viruses either way.
woot!
2008-06-08, 9:24 PM #4
I have Norton Corporate Edition with the laptop from my college's laptop program (came with the required software bundle). Usually I get pissed at Norton but it seems to work well in this case.

I don't really worry too much about viruses, I hardly visit any questionable sites and don't open any email attachments from spam (I don't get spam anyway). The biggest virus threat is from USB storage devices which I plug in at the computer labs when I need to use the plotters.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-08, 10:09 PM #5
OSX + Router = no AV

In my XP days I used AVG + McAfee Stinger. I very rarely (if ever) caught anything.
2008-06-08, 11:49 PM #6
I have it installed cause I have to check links of people all the time.
2008-06-09, 2:21 AM #7
I have one installed. It's in the same packet as the firewall software anyway.

I tend to check files even from many reputable sources but I don't even remember when I last time saw a virus.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2008-06-09, 5:39 AM #8
Don't have one installed, and never have. And no, I don't use OSX or Linux.

If I am suspicious of something being on my computer, I'll use Spybot Search and Destroy along with either Trend Micro's Online scanner or Kaspersky's Online scanner to identify what the problem is.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-06-09, 6:17 AM #9
I have AVG installed, but it'll only get run maybe once or twice a year.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-06-09, 6:28 AM #10
I have never used an antivirus program, ever.

Oh yeah, and in before Jon'C *****es at me for my computer being a breeding ground for trojans that attack other computers. I don't care.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-06-09, 7:13 AM #11
I have AVG installed on my Vista partition, but I don't have any of the services running.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-06-09, 7:43 AM #12
I've got one installed but viruses don't really concern me.
nope.
2008-06-09, 7:53 AM #13
All you non-believers probably have lots of little trojans and wormies installed. I use AVG and it's stopped a few sneaky bugs from crawling in out of flash disks and memory cards and last time I checked, I'm not retarded.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2008-06-09, 8:35 AM #14
I have it, but rarely run it. When I do run it, it comes up clean.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-09, 8:55 AM #15
I run AVG, but the last time it caught something that wasn't a false positive was years ago.

Not pirating software does wonders.
2008-06-09, 9:04 AM #16
viruses takin' over mah computar :tinfoil:
2008-06-09, 9:07 AM #17
I used Bullguard, never had any trouble and it doesn't whine at me too much about programs accessing the internet which is nice.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2008-06-09, 9:09 AM #18
I'm not currently using any, but I have used Trend Micro - PC-cillin before. Great software IMO.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-09, 9:09 AM #19
I bought a Zone Alarm Pro license.

Yeah that's right, I actually payed for it.
2008-06-09, 9:09 AM #20
Originally posted by Anovis:
viruses takin' over mah computar :tinfoil:

Only because theyre done with your sexual organs.
nope.
2008-06-09, 9:40 AM #21
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
All you non-believers probably have lots of little trojans and wormies installed. I use AVG and it's stopped a few sneaky bugs from crawling in out of flash disks and memory cards and last time I checked, I'm not retarded.

If you put other people's memory cards in your PC, you should probably have anti virus.
2008-06-09, 11:54 AM #22
Antivirus is pointless, slows down your computer, and is counterintuitive. Hell, you don't even really need a firewall generally speaking--I'm DMZ'ed or don't use a router and have yet to get spyware/viruses from just browsing.
D E A T H
2008-06-09, 12:51 PM #23
We have the AT&T Internet Security Suite. I normally only browse certain sites (though I'm not sure about my mom and dad) and only download from certain sites (like JK3Files or Massassi).
2008-06-09, 1:02 PM #24
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Antivirus is pointless, slows down your computer, and is counterintuitive. Hell, you don't even really need a firewall generally speaking--I'm DMZ'ed or don't use a router and have yet to get spyware/viruses from just browsing.

So your computer has nothing stopping anything from hitting it? Obviously your computer won't just accept any traffic, but you'd be wide open for any un-patched exploits. :tinfoil:
2008-06-09, 1:34 PM #25

I can't believe it but I actually agree with this man, especially if one is running Vista. AV programs are a major contributor to computer bog, and while they used to be necessary, the advent of better browsers, webmail, and better OS security really makes it unnecessary.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-06-09, 2:07 PM #26
i run a computer shop.

anti-viruses are still necessary because people are idiots.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-09, 3:13 PM #27
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
So your computer has nothing stopping anything from hitting it? Obviously your computer won't just accept any traffic, but you'd be wide open for any un-patched exploits. :tinfoil:

Actually it will take ANY traffic, and I don't patch. Viruses aren't as common as they used to be, and if you're not an idiot and use firefox then you don't have to worry about them really. Vista is even better as there are far less known exploits, but I'm happy with XP.

Originally posted by bradsh:
I can't believe it but I actually agree with this man, especially if one is running Vista. AV programs are a major contributor to computer bog, and while they used to be necessary, the advent of better browsers, webmail, and better OS security really makes it unnecessary.

Basically, you don't have to worry about anything unless you're just an idiot.

I still check once every few months with housecall, and nothing comes up. Same with adaware/spybot and I only get a few "malicious cookies", which are unavoidable but also mostly harmless.

Originally posted by NoESC:
i run a computer shop.

anti-viruses are still necessary because people are idiots.

Yeah, but your situation is obviously different :p
D E A T H
2008-06-09, 4:23 PM #28
Actually it will take ANY traffic, and I don't patch. Viruses aren't as common as they used to be, and if you're not an idiot and use firefox then you don't have to worry about them really. Vista is even better as there are far less known exploits, but I'm happy with XP.

Uhh, patching is part of not being an idiot. You do know that a totally unpatched no SP XP installation will get loaded with crap before you can even open a browser, right? Patches protect you from the things that not being an idiot can't.
2008-06-09, 4:43 PM #29

Actually, by design it won't. Only ports that are actually OPEN, not closed, will take traffic. Your computer isn't going to just magically take traffic on any port unless there's a program actually listening on every port.

Also, firewalls become necessary when you have to install XP from SP0 media. There's so many old viruses/trojans bouncing around out there that you won't even have time to get the system patched before it's infected.
2008-06-09, 5:32 PM #30
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Uhh, patching is part of not being an idiot. You do know that a totally unpatched no SP XP installation will get loaded with crap before you can even open a browser, right? Patches protect you from the things that not being an idiot can't.

I do service packs, not patches. Patches tend to break drivers and basic functions of some programs. In service packs these things are usually worked out.

Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Actually, by design it won't. Only ports that are actually OPEN, not closed, will take traffic. Your computer isn't going to just magically take traffic on any port unless there's a program actually listening on every port.

Also, firewalls become necessary when you have to install XP from SP0 media. There's so many old viruses/trojans bouncing around out there that you won't even have time to get the system patched before it's infected.

Eh, true, but you know what I meant.

Also, if you're installing XP SP0 you have problems period :p
D E A T H
2008-06-09, 8:43 PM #31
This is a trick, he wants to know which of us to hack.
2008-06-09, 8:55 PM #32
Yoshi's the obvious choice.
2008-06-09, 9:00 PM #33
the fact that the responses are public is vaguely alarming
2008-06-09, 10:56 PM #34
I like to throw all kinds of caution into the wind.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-06-09, 11:00 PM #35
i use AVG, but i also doesn't pirate or go to sites that would give me random viruses and crap.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-06-10, 12:28 AM #36
I do service packs, not patches. Patches tend to break drivers and basic functions of some programs. In service packs these things are usually worked out.

From all the outcries with every SP release I thought it was the other way around.
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-06-10, 1:49 AM #37
Basically, you don't have to worry about anything unless you're just an idiot.

This is some sort of a logical fallacy. Idiots obviously don't worry about anything, because they are idiots. To worry about something suggests you are aware of dangers.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2008-06-10, 4:25 AM #38
Originally posted by Impi:
From all the outcries with every SP release I thought it was the other way around.

To a certain extent, SP's also break stuff, but that usually gets fixed within a month. SP3 so far has been the worst--SP1 fixed a LOT of problems and SP2 was relatively painless to install.

Originally posted by lassev:
This is some sort of a logical fallacy. Idiots obviously don't worry about anything, because they are idiots. To worry about something suggests you are aware of dangers.

Well, you know what I mean though. And idiots aren't necessarily ignorant, they're just idiots :P
D E A T H
2008-06-10, 4:37 AM #39
AVG+Avast.

No router anymore because it mucks up my connection speeds.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-06-10, 3:29 PM #40

happy patch tuesday

KB951698: Vulnerabilities in DirectX could allow remote code execution.
KB950762: Vulnerability in Bluetooth stack could allow remote code execution.
KB950762: Vulnerabilities in Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM) could allow denial of service.

Windows services open up essentially random ports, and even if you do manage to get your computer secured there is no 'stealth mode' like in OSX. A decent firewall won't just filter packets, it will make it look like no computer exists when someone tries to do a port scan. Running without a firewall is a terrible idea no matter how "not retarded" you are.

↑ Up to the top!