Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Adobe Reader = H8
Adobe Reader = H8
2008-06-11, 12:59 PM #1
This program is a B****.
I have v. 7.0.5.

I can't uninstall it.
I can't update it.
I can't open anyhthing UNLESS the file is saved to my computer first (which is why I want the new version/to fix this piece of crap)

I try manually updating it, the new version 7.1.0 downloads (and yes i know there's an 8.something but the same result occurs:), then this happens:

[http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5685/bs1tt3.jpg]

So I try add/remove programs.

[http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5692/bs2da2.jpg]

So I check out their support site.
Apparently there's a "bronze package" that offers a 1-time support for "supported issues." that's 39.99. This is the only way adobe will help me.

I REFUSE to pay 40 bucks to uninstall their damn software.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look or what to do?
the forums seem to only talk about the 8.whatever version.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-06-11, 1:21 PM #2
I can't help but I too Hate Adobe Reader because the damn thing seems to be slower than Landfish walking up a gentle incline.
nope.
2008-06-11, 1:25 PM #3
Boycott the PDF.
2008-06-11, 1:32 PM #4
Or, you know, don't boycott the popular format that makes people's lives a little bit easier.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-06-11, 1:34 PM #5
Foxit
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-06-11, 1:37 PM #6
Foxit lacks a lot of features that Acrobat has, but Foxit also has a few things up on Acrobat. Maybe my perception is flawed because I actually use Acrobat instead of Acrobat Reader.
2008-06-11, 1:39 PM #7
PDFs are horrible, and do not make my life easier. They aggravate me because I can't get to source documents I very often need to change.
2008-06-11, 1:41 PM #8
Personaly I've never found anything foxit couldn't do that acrobat could, but then I've never used it for anything more than viewing and printing pdfs.
and I haven't had any form of acrobat installed for months.

And isn't the reader the only free thing?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-06-11, 1:44 PM #9
There's a few guides on how to make reader a lot faster. It's slow because it comes bundled with a lot of plugins that aren't needed, if you delete them it loads pretty much instantly and has a much lower memory footprint.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-06-11, 1:54 PM #10
I dislike it for home use, but here at work its used in about 99% of my work. No problems here, though I'm sure we have a liscense and such. Plus an IT department. Try googling the error yet? Surely you arent the first person to get that error.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-11, 1:57 PM #11
it's never been slow for me and I actually love PDF but I dunno how to help you off the top of my head :(

Edit:

Here

http://www.webmasterworld.com/foo/3671257.htm
一个大西瓜
2008-06-11, 2:19 PM #12
Originally posted by Rob:
PDFs are horrible, and do not make my life easier. They aggravate me because I can't get to source documents I very often need to change.

As a graphic designer, I'm glad that PDF rasterises and embeds the images and text in the document. It prevents my clients from trying to steal my work whenever I send them a proof. Anyone that tries to steal the image and text for print use by using the print screen button are idiots.

As for the problem for the OP, have you tried just manually going into the registry and deleting the keys that reference adobe reader? It is really risky doing that if you don't know what you're doing but it is an option to consider.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-06-11, 2:48 PM #13
Get the Windows Installer Cleanup thing, remove adobe reader, install the latest version.

edit

Apparently Pommy already linked to the answer.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-11, 2:55 PM #14
I didn't know Foxit's PDF software was capable of converting document colors, or viewing a separation preview. Granted I don't use it much, so maybe I missed a feature or two. Foxit makes it a lot easier to make some changes to documents, but Acrobat is still my #1 guy.

And SavageX, you clearly don't understand the software. You might as well send someone a jpeg or a .tiff for a proof if you're collapsing everything. The beauty of PDF is that both images and text remain editable. You can open the images in either Photoshop, Illustrator, or any comparable software. You can edit text (albeit rather limitedly) right in Acrobat. Or you can collapse everything. This is all set before the PDF is distilled. It can all be changed.
2008-06-11, 3:32 PM #15
Adobe.
2008-06-11, 5:49 PM #16
Quote:
Adobe = H8

fix'd :ninja:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-06-11, 5:51 PM #17
I download all PDFs as HTML. I can't be bothered fixing a program that acts like it's unfolding proteins.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-11, 5:58 PM #18
Originally posted by Detty:
There's a few guides on how to make reader a lot faster. It's slow because it comes bundled with a lot of plugins that aren't needed, if you delete them it loads pretty much instantly and has a much lower memory footprint.

This is very true. Acrobat 7 is very fast when properly configured.

Adobe Reader 8 is actually very fast. I like it a lot. I also like Acrobat 8, which is similarly well refined. I imagine Reader could still be made faster by removing unused plugins.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-11, 6:22 PM #19
Preview opens PDFs for me. Too bad none of you use OSX!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-11, 9:20 PM #20
Pommy's solution is also mine. Zap the Adobe Reader entry, delete the install directory on disk, reinstall.

MS' Windows Installer is horrible at uninstalling. Even with official MS products!

2008-06-12, 1:05 PM #21
Apparently there were 2 specific files that it wouldn't allow me to delete. It kept saying they were "being used, please end the process using htem" or whatever. My dad spent 2 hours looking at it and was able to delete it so I could install the new version.

Now...if I could just update the new version of flash. their website won't let me download for some reason or another.
Therefore, youtube will not work.

Adobe = H8 is right.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-06-12, 4:52 PM #22
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
MS' Windows Installer is horrible at uninstalling. Even with official MS products!

pebkac no problems here
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!