Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2008-06-12, 2:52 PM #1
Excellent game so far from playing it for an hour and a half. If you're a MGS fan or a fan of stealth action (although you can play through without using stealth), you should definitely be playing this game. I haven't touched Metal Gear Online yet so I can't comment on it.
2008-06-12, 3:06 PM #2
I'm very tempted to pick up a PS3 + MGS4 bundle, but I'm probably going to hold out for a price drop.

I hear the game is quite excellent, and finishes off the convoluted and often ludicrous Metal Gear story nicely.
2008-06-12, 3:17 PM #3
Apparently everyone I've talked to says I was right about the arcadiness, and step away from stealth it took. Not to say it's a bad game, but I don't like a step towards action adventure, and prefer when the game is geared towards kicking my stealthy rob.

I'll eventually play this game.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-12, 3:25 PM #4
Can we ban people using the names of forum members as substitutes for other words?

I might start doing that.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-06-12, 3:35 PM #5
Originally posted by Detty:
Can we ban people using the names of forum members as substitutes for other words?

I'm on board.
D E A T H
2008-06-12, 3:44 PM #6
Please.
nope.
2008-06-12, 6:36 PM #7
Just picked it up.

It's a little sad that I spent more on a game than I did on my groceries. :gonk:
2008-06-12, 6:41 PM #8
Originally posted by Steven:
I'm very tempted to pick up a PS3 + MGS4 bundle, but I'm probably going to hold out for a price drop.

I hear the game is quite excellent, and finishes off the convoluted and often ludicrous Metal Gear story nicely.

Walmart and Best Buy gives you a $100 gift card if you purchase the bundle right now.

JediKirby, the stealth aspect still isn't abandoned. In fact, in the first area of the game I got caught and I had my *** handed to me. Later on in the game, you will be caught in the crossfire between the PMC soldiers and the local militia. A cool new aspect of the stealth is to sneak in the admist of the confusion.

Then again, MGS has never been about true stealth since there are forced encounters throughout the series where you have no choice, but to fight your way out.
2008-06-12, 8:27 PM #9

He's been trying to get it to catch on for like two years now, and it hasn't.

So I support this proposition.
2008-06-12, 9:17 PM #10
I want to play this game so bad :(....I wish I had a PS3 *sob*. Hopefully I will be able to play on my friend's.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-06-12, 9:30 PM #11
MGS4 is the main reason I'm buying a PS3, but not for awhile yet. the price has to drop a little bit before I get one.
2008-06-12, 9:45 PM #12
Is anyone else finding it damn near impossible to read the text (on an SD TV)?
2008-06-12, 9:50 PM #13
I'm not trying to get anyone else to use it. I just use it because I can't stand the ***s.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-12, 9:58 PM #14
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I'm not trying to get anyone else to use it. I just use it because I can't stand the ***s.

Uhhh huh, sure.
2008-06-13, 1:06 PM #15
Every time a console comes out, there's always a big stink about "don't buy this version it's not as good," or "don't buy one of the first production models they melt your disc", or "don't get an earlier model got a later model because my friend got an early model and it stole his wallet and his girlfriend and wrecked his Camaro."

Is that true of the PS3?
2008-06-13, 1:08 PM #16
Depends on how much you want to use the thing to play PS2 games.
2008-06-13, 1:09 PM #17
God of War 1 and 2, MGS3, that's about it.
2008-06-13, 1:28 PM #18
Those are probably fully emulated then

Newer PS3s don't have PS2 hardware in them, thats why they cost less.

It's like the same software emulation type thing 360 does for xbox games. Works well sometimes, othertimes not at all like it's supposed to.
2008-06-13, 1:46 PM #19
The cheapest edition doesn't support PS2 games at all, even software emulation.
2008-06-13, 1:48 PM #20
Jeez, thats weak as hell.
2008-06-13, 1:52 PM #21
I really only use my PS3 for a few things: playing Oblivion and other single player only games, and showing my buds some youtube videos on the big screen.
2008-06-13, 2:47 PM #22
i hear the latest version of the interactive tom clancy anime simulator has 90 minute cutscenes, confirm/deny
2008-06-13, 4:16 PM #23
Originally posted by Steven:
Every time a console comes out, there's always a big stink about "don't buy this version it's not as good," or "don't buy one of the first production models they melt your disc", or "don't get an earlier model got a later model because my friend got an early model and it stole his wallet and his girlfriend and wrecked his Camaro."

Is that true of the PS3?

in this case the earlier models are considered the best

20GB and 60GB models support the largest number of PS2 games, have the memory card reader, and 4 usb ports

80GB supports fewer PS2 games, has the card reader, and 4 usb ports

40GB no PS2 game support, no card reader, 2 usb ports

all will play PS1 games and you can always upgrade the harddrive
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-06-13, 4:54 PM #24
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
i hear the latest version of the interactive tom clancy anime simulator has 90 minute cutscenes, confirm/deny

Denied. IGN review says the longest cutscene is only 45 minutes. Tom Clancy anime simulator....that does describe Metal Gear Solid 2 pretty well now that I think about it. Raiden is kind of like the rookie Jack Ryan who has something to improve.

Quote:
Is anyone else finding it damn near impossible to read the text (on an SD TV)?

Yeah a lot of 360 and PS3 games have this problem for SDTV users from what I heard. The text is usually designed to be read at 720p.
2008-06-13, 6:04 PM #25
Uncharted: drake's Fortune isn't a bad game on PS3.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-06-14, 9:53 AM #26
Originally posted by Cloud:
only 45 minutes.

lol
2008-06-15, 5:18 PM #27
Originally posted by Veger:
Uncharted: drake's Fortune isn't a bad game on PS3.

It's a pretty good game. Kind of like a mix between Tomb Raider and Gears of War. The environment graphics are still one of the best on the PS3.

I'm think I'm near the end of Act 2 in MGS 4...the whole game feels like a nostalgia trip.
2008-06-15, 5:46 PM #28

Why bother? We don't ban for incessant unprovoked personal attacks.
2008-06-18, 10:16 PM #29
I just beat it.

I think I agree with IGN, one of the best games I've ever played.

And I really thought they wouldn't answer every question I had, but they did... except one.

Why the hell did Akiba look like snake, who the heck was he for that matter, and why did he have memories that snake had from MGS1? (namely meryl undressing or something)

Past that, it was an amazing game, I would recommend it for everyone.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-06-19, 7:44 PM #30
A Metal Gear encyclopedia is released for free on PSN today just to note. I'm not going to bother looking at it until I finish the game (Act 4).
2008-06-19, 8:01 PM #31
I discovered the answer.

Akiba was actually a soldier who was watching meryl in the first game that was an apparent comic relief or something. He had a small part in MGS2 as well. Why he was given so much screentime in the game ,and why he looked liek snake is still a mystery to me. Maybe he just "looks" like him or something, but it's still weird.
2008-06-20, 10:09 AM #32
I'm still in Act I :(
2008-06-20, 12:43 PM #33
wait, you mean johnny 'stomach' ? hahaha. gotta love Kojima.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-06-21, 1:55 PM #34
I just finished the game today. Incredible experience.

Johnny was given a bigger role because he was simply a fan favorite since Metal Gear Solid. Why he looks a bit like Snake is simply a coincidence I think. Well actually, it does explain a bit how Meryl could fall for him. Meryl still has a thing for Snake.
2008-06-21, 1:56 PM #35
so does snake kill himself at the end?
2008-06-21, 1:58 PM #36
Originally posted by Cloud:
I just finished the game today. Incredible experience.

Johnny was given a bigger role because he was simply a fan favorite since Metal Gear Solid. Why he looks a bit like Snake is simply a coincidence I think. Well actually, it does explain a bit how Meryl could fall for him. Meryl still has a thing for Snake.

Wasn't he a Genome soldier? I.E. a clone of Big Boss
2008-06-21, 4:22 PM #37
Yeah, that's why he looks like Snake.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-21, 6:19 PM #38
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
so does snake kill himself at the end?

Before the credits roll, yes.

But then there's a secret ending.
Followed by more credits.

And another ending.

All after the final scenes after the main fight.

(the end is like 1 hour long)
2008-06-21, 10:36 PM #39
im on act 3 it soooo hard to folow that guy!:ninja::neckbeard:
2008-06-21, 11:00 PM #40
I'll watch this interactive movie on Youtube eventually. Failing that, I'm sure I know someone who owns a PS3.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."

↑ Up to the top!