Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → No one is interested in The Incredible Hulk?
No one is interested in The Incredible Hulk?
2008-06-13, 5:02 PM #1
I saw it today and thought it was a great movie. In some ways I like it better than Iron Man due to its more serious, dark tone like Batman Begins. Edward Norton makes a great Bruce Banner in my opinion. You can't help, but pity him especially in one scene between him and Betty Ross (Liv Tyler). Just to note, the action sequences are much better than Ang Lee's Hulk so that should be comforting for some people who only wants to see "Hulk smash."

One thing I don't understand with the movie's conclusion is Abomination's fate. Abomination can't go back to his human form so how are they going to keep something like that contained?

Speaking of Ang Lee's Hulk, what was primarily wrong with it? I know it doesn't compare to the new Hulk, but I thought his version wasn't too bad. It had a lot of character development from what I can remember, and the acting wasn't too bad. The plot wasn't paced too well and the end sequences were bad, but overall I didn't think it was as much of an atrocity as most people made it out to be.
2008-06-13, 6:01 PM #2
i saw the 1st one, i gave it 5 or 6 out of ten. But then again i'm not a fan of comic book heroes, especially hulk, he's a bit lame.

Ange lee's version had some great parts, like Hulk laying the smack down on several military helicopters.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-13, 6:12 PM #3
The main problem with the first was hulk himself. He was TOO big, and he was NEON GREEN. This version just plain looks better.
2008-06-13, 6:13 PM #4
Going to see it tonight. I'll post up later.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2008-06-13, 7:40 PM #5
The first hulk was all about angst, the producers even said that themselves in an interview.
Though to me it seemed much more about (for lack of a better word) depression. It was all sad and boring.

I haven't heard much about this new hulk except that it's better, and since that doesn't take much it hasn't exactly got me chomping at the bit.

I'll probably watch it some time down the line, but probably not at the cinema
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-13, 8:00 PM #6
Originally posted by JM:
The main problem with the first was hulk himself. He was TOO big, and he was NEON GREEN. This version just plain looks better.

You think the main problem with the last movie was that the Hulk was too big? Please tell me you're kidding because there were far bigger problems with the movie than the size of the Hulk.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-13, 9:51 PM #7
I just got back from seeing it. It was fantastic. Edward Norton is amazing, but we already knew that.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-13, 10:05 PM #8
Picked my interest, but I can't go see it yet. I will soon.

The old hulk was pathetic IMO, very dull, and the CG was pretty bad in all seriousness. I mean, clipping of his shorts and butt, as if they didn't see it. XD
2008-06-13, 11:28 PM #9
I hear Iron Man appears in it, and Nick Fury is mentioned. Captain America was supposed to be in it too, but the scene was cut. These recent Marvel movies are leading up to something AWESOME.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-06-13, 11:54 PM #10
I just got back from the Incredible Hulk and it was pretty awesome - I think they finally got the CGI right, I was blown away how they got some of the environment interactions down. Nice tie-in with Iron Man and SHIELD too.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-14, 12:09 AM #11
The whole universe is tied together. I think this is a good thing.

This was another marvel studio production, right? I'm going to see it tomorrow based on reviews alone, and because I want to watch TRS next week.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-14, 12:18 AM #12
Just got home from it. Awesomely done. I thought the decision to skip the actual "horrible accident" and only show bits of it during the opening credits was a good one that allowed for more meat in the actual plot and better pacing.

Even though I knew it was going to happen (from trailers and also from looking it up online), I got super excited when Tony Stark showed up at the end.

Marvel is doing some genius for itself with this whole crossover setup they're pulling together. Can't wait for The Avengers.
一个大西瓜
2008-06-14, 2:51 AM #13
This movie is SICK. SO much better than the other Hulk movie. Edward Norton is the ****ing man. Tim Roth also.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2008-06-14, 4:14 AM #14
Originally posted by JediKirby:
The whole universe is tied together. I think this is a good thing.

Well yeah, but other super heroes usually aren't shown like this in the movies unless it's leading to something bigger, like...

Originally posted by Pommy:

... this.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-06-14, 7:00 AM #15
Dang that was a sweet movie. I also like the little odes to the original Incredible Hulk TV show. Anybody else notice those? CG was better, the Hulk looked better, they left it open for the Avengers and possibly another Hulk movie. I can't wait to see what they can do with a Captain America. Should be awesome.

maeve
2008-06-14, 9:14 AM #16
Originally posted by JM:

They look about the same size to me. Although the neon green does look silly.

[http://screenrant.com/images/old-hulk-new-hulk.jpg]
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-06-14, 1:00 PM #17
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-06-14, 1:29 PM #18
... They look the same size because the pictures are the same size. Look at them with other people. The new one is much closer in scale to the original tv series.

The new one also is much better proportioned. The first movie's Hulk is like a giant cube.
2008-06-14, 2:03 PM #19
Comic book Hulk looks different than both of them.

They should just do a movie series for World War Hulk. THAT would be awesome.
2008-06-14, 8:41 PM #20
Ed Norton is a great actor, but it annoyed me how Hulk looked absolutely nothing like him. In the 03 one Hulk had a vague resemblence to Eric Bana, in this one they went for the classic comic Hulk look which really looks nothing like Ed Norton. Ruined it a little for me.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-06-14, 8:54 PM #21
I cannot think of Ed Norton as anything but "That ****in' rhino".
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-06-14, 11:29 PM #22
Eh, this movie never caught my interest. Now batman on the other hand....
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-06-14, 11:54 PM #23
It never caught my interest either but when my friend offered me the choice of The Happening or The Incredible Hulk, I chose Hulk because I've heard the Happening is craptacular.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-15, 12:36 AM #24
I had zero interest in this movie also, but my friend offered to buy me a ticket to see it. Nothing to lose really, and it ended up being damn good.

Originally posted by Spork:
In the 03 one Hulk had a vague resemblence to Eric Bana,

That's debatable.

2008-06-15, 1:01 AM #25
I loved it. I'm not sure how I'd put it up against Iron Man, but I would have to say just off the bat pretty close. In some ways, I think Hulk had a lot more going on in the movie than did Iron Man. Iron Man was completely Downey Jr. driven (which certainly wasn't a bad thing), but I also felt that all the movie had going for it was Downey Jr. The Hulk meanwhile had the love story, among other things. I also thought Tim Roth was pretty damn kickass, and the ending battle was incredibly awesome.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-06-15, 1:25 AM #26
Wow, hearing a lot of good things about Hulk in this thread.
I may have to go see it after all
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-15, 6:16 AM #27
Also

Roth getting booted into the tree was so incredibly brutal.

2008-06-15, 7:36 AM #28
Originally posted by Acharjay:
Also

Roth getting booted into the tree was so incredibly brutal.

Not to mention hilarious.

maeve
2008-06-15, 10:16 AM #29
Amazingly awesome. I loved every second of it.

Lou Ferrignou in it was so awesome
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-15, 10:20 AM #30
You guys put the weirest non-spoiler things in spoiler tags. I'll probably watch it tomorrow.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-06-15, 12:11 PM #31
Well the tree thing was notable and unexpected enough to be spoiler-worthy.

It was also :awesome:D:
一个大西瓜
2008-06-15, 5:11 PM #32
Yeah and it doesn't hurt to be spoiler safe. Oh by the way, 70 minutes Hulk footage was cut out, but they will all be on (only) Blu-Ray.

Another thing, Leonardo DiCaprio is Captain America.
2008-06-15, 5:13 PM #33
That would probably kill Capitan America.
2008-06-15, 6:20 PM #34
I'm sure they'll release the additional material in whatever manner they think will make the most money. BR exclusive doesn't make much sense at this point.

Originally posted by Pommy:
Well the tree thing was notable and unexpected enough to be spoiler-worthy.

It was also :awesome:D:

Wasn't the "tree thing" in a trailer? And Abomination not transforming back? Duh!

2008-06-15, 6:24 PM #35
Err, some of us don't know that much about the Hulk so that was kind of a spoiler.
nope.
2008-06-17, 11:14 AM #36
Um, not really. The matter of his transformation being permanent or his future containment is never a plot point or addressed in any manner. Oh, and a Lou Ferigno cameo was to be expected. It was neat that he did Hulk's voice. I swear, every time I see him I'm amazed at the level of physical perfection he maintains. If there ever was a human Hulk, it would certainly be him.

I enjoyed the movie. It seemed pointless to me, though. The last movie had some issues, mostly the crap with his father and how overly tall the creature was but a redo certainly wasn't warranted. So Marvel let Ang Lee craft a ridiculous origin? It was good enough for them 5 years ago, leave it alone. I think they should have not addressed the origin as the rest of the film was consistent with the previous one.

Having said that, I liked the obvious homages to the TV series. The TV series, while certainly unfaithful to the comics, offered a plausible real world scenario.

I prefer the look of the new Hulk but I liked the color on the previous one more. New color more realistic, though. I guess.

Hulk fight scenes had me cringing at the savagery. Imagining the brute force along with the sound of crunching bones. Good stuff.

The Stark appearance at the end seemed forced. Why tease a movie that's three years away? Plus, although I liked Iron Man, Downey Jr's, err, fancifully trimmed facial hair makes me wonder if his womanizing ways is a cover for something else in his personal life. Sorry, he just looks gay. There, I said it. Not that I would hold that against him or the character but it looks a little ridiculous to me.

I like the allusions to Captain America. For those who don't know, that's what the Super Soldier program from WWII was about. God, I hope they don't screw this movie up.

Also neat how they showed the origin of The Leader. So Marvel now has increased their staple of super villains on film. It would be interesting to me if they start to bring them together as they continue the hero films.

2008-06-17, 11:31 AM #37
Leonardo DiCaprio as Captain America is a bit hard to envision. Although I'm not saying he's a bad actor, far from it, I just imagine someone who is less, lack of better words, ...babyfaced?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-17, 11:38 AM #38
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Leonardo DiCaprio as Captain America is a bit hard to envision. Although I'm not saying he's a bad actor, far from it, I just imagine someone who is less, lack of better words, ...babyfaced?

Well, if anything, I thought the same thing when they announced Heath Ledger as the Joker....so I won't say anything yet
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-06-17, 12:01 PM #39
DiCaprio just seems to lack the physical presence required by such a role. To me I can picture him as Steve Rogers pre-Super Soldier serum.

2008-06-17, 4:47 PM #40
Wookie, could you explain about The Leader?
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."

↑ Up to the top!