Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Google.value++
Google.value++
2008-06-14, 2:50 PM #1
http://www.hothardware.com/News/Google_To_Develop_ISP_Throttling_Detector//

pwned.
2008-06-14, 3:00 PM #2
Sweet.

But it isn't going to make your ISP un-throttle you.
2008-06-14, 3:49 PM #3
True. But you'll be able to track what exactly they are throttling. If you know that, there are ways to get around the throttling.

Furthermore, you have sufficient reason to ***** em out on the phone. :P
2008-06-14, 3:54 PM #4
I ***** verizon out on the phone regularly as it is. It keeps them on their toes.
2008-06-14, 5:41 PM #5
Rob you're just the coolest person in the world.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-06-14, 5:42 PM #6
Originally posted by Rob:
I ***** verizon out on the phone regularly as it is. It keeps them on their toes.

Do you use DSL?

Apparently Verizon doesn't throttle FIOS yet.
2008-06-14, 5:45 PM #7
Yeah, I have Verizon DSL because they won't extend their FIOS into the neighborhood that borders mine.

I call them regularly because I experience dropped packets, service outtage, and about twice a year to come replace my phone lines because they've fallen, squirrels have chewed through them, or the trees they refuse to trim have rubbed into them too much.

They've tried to throttle my bandwidth once or twice. If threaten to go with another providor enough they usually let up.
2008-06-14, 6:17 PM #8
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Rob you're just the coolest person in the world.

"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2008-06-14, 6:20 PM #9
So cool I don't even have to wear womens pants.
2008-06-15, 2:02 AM #10
I spent hours shouting at people from Tiscali support. Then I shouted at customer support until they gave me back the money I spent calling tech support because they're a bunch of incompetent f**k-nuts.

Then I switched to Sky who've been nice as pie and not at all mentally retarded.
2008-06-15, 2:13 AM #11
I seriously wish I had another choice for decent broadband, but here I don't. Where I'm moving, I don't.
2008-06-15, 3:06 AM #12
It is rubbish when you have no options. Because every time that happens, your only choice tends to be crap.

Sod's Law.
2008-06-15, 11:42 AM #13
Sweet.

But it isn't going to make your ISP un-throttle you.

What about the occasional Google Ad which states "Google Throttle - Other users of your ISP have reported using our tool to find they were not getting their money's worth" or something. If enough people use this tool (or Google makes an easy-to-use online version that's visible enough) ISPs will have to do something or they'll lose customers to ISPs which don't throttle. I hope.

2008-06-15, 3:06 PM #14
I don't have anywhere else to go for broadband. :(
2008-06-16, 6:35 AM #15
Originally posted by Martyn:
It is rubbish when you have no options. Because every time that happens, your only choice tends to be crap.

Sod's Law.

I just moved into a new place. I have one option for a telephone line, and they're crap. They might offer DSL, but it'll probably be cheaper for me to get DSL from a separate ISP, which actually runs its services through this phone company. And there are no cable lines, so I have to get satellite for television. All from different companies. Not one single option for a package of any sort.

WELCOME TO 10 YEARS AGO, MAINE. WAKE THE **** UP.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-06-16, 6:47 AM #16
What exactly is network throttling and what are ISPs doing that we need to monitor?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-06-16, 10:23 AM #17
Comcast was throttling BitTorrent traffic a while ago. That is, limiting the speeds you can attain with it.

The risk is that eventually, or maybe currently, broadband providers will limit access to certain sites, while providing other sites at much higher speed. That might seem pretty innocent, but most people (that are not running corporations) feel that all information on the nets should be equally accessible.
2008-06-16, 10:44 AM #18
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
What exactly is network throttling and what are ISPs doing that we need to monitor?

You're sold a certain amount of bandwidth a month.

For example, my service is advertised as and the contract we agreed to says we get 3m down.

Throttling is when they cap your download below the advertised or contract speed. Sometimes a little, most of the time it's by alot.
2008-06-16, 5:21 PM #19
So cool I don't even have to wear womens pants.

So you just do it because they make your junk feel bigger?

:smith:
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!