Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Happening
The Happening
2008-06-15, 7:01 PM #1
Hahahahaha wow.

That was really bad.
2008-06-15, 7:02 PM #2
I wanted to go this weekend to see it..

..but really?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-15, 7:03 PM #3
It's an M night shamawhatever movie. Were you expecting it to not suck?
2008-06-15, 7:38 PM #4
mexican wave invoking low blood pressure and fainting.

quite the epidemic, no?
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-15, 8:07 PM #5
I swear, everytime I hear of a new M Night Shyamalan movie, the trailer always state FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE SIXTH SENSE. Damn, how far can you ride the one-time success for people to care? Seriously, when did the Sixth Sense come out, 8 or 9 years ago?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-15, 8:19 PM #6
Just look at the order of his movies, every movie he's done is worse than the one before it.

The Sixth Sense > Unbreakable > Signs > The Village > Lady in the Water >>>>>>>>>> The Happening.

He gets more and more of an ego and interjects himself more and more into every one of his movies.

Dear god the happening was awful.

Also: http://io9.com/5016361/the-happening-is-the-biggest-intelligent-design-movie-of-the-year
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-15, 8:40 PM #7
I knew it would be bad (haven't seen it.)

The line in the preview "An event is happening." drove me crazy.

What do events do? Besides... happen. I just thought it was a ridiculously dumb line, and therefore, ruined the entire possibility of me ever thinking it could be a good movie.
2008-06-15, 9:08 PM #8
I keep waiting for an MNS movie to come out that's as good as Sixth Sense or even Unbreakable again, just because I feel bad for the guy. I had real hopes for this because Mark Wahlberg is pretty good, but fishstickz pretty much said it, they just get worse and worse.
2008-06-15, 9:37 PM #9
It wasn't terrible.

It just wasn't good.

If it had something more, like a better explanation for why the stuff was happening, I would have liked it a bit more.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-06-15, 10:03 PM #10
Originally posted by Veger:

If it had something more, like a better explanation for why the stuff was happening, I would have liked it a bit more.

God did it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-16, 6:43 AM #11
I keep expecting big things from M Night Shamalan but every time I'm dissapointed.

That scene with the two kids (the token black of the movie) getting brutally killed was just bizarre. They'd been in the movie about 4 minutes before getting killed off, and only really served to annoy Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. They were fairly pointless, as was the entire movie.

And like the article in the link said, I too was fairly annoyed with the movie's despondency of science. I watched it with a load of physicists and we were all groaning at the phrases like "unexplainable by science!" and "act of nature!" and ""only a theory!". Yeah, that's really the true spirit of a scientist. And maths guy's attempt to distract a random girl from sheer, impending death with a silly little maths puzzle was pretty funny. Solving equations is stressful enough as it is, the added threat of uncontrollable suicide isn't going to make you cope with either any better.

All in all, it was more of a 50's horror B-movie.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-06-18, 1:59 AM #12
Guys, it was called "The Happening", that's a clue right there
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-18, 5:23 AM #13
Dear Lord. The dialogue was terrible, the acting mediocre, the camera angles pretty bad (why the wide view of grandma pointing her finger and accusing the audience?), the **** story, the lack of a twist, and the stupid ending?

Easily one of the worst movies I've seen, and I liked all of M. Night's other stuff (except for The Village).
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-06-18, 6:52 AM #14
lol spooky trees suck a dick
2008-06-18, 9:17 PM #15
i JUST finished watching this before i logged on here. it was the worst shamalan flick ive ever seen aside from the village. and i went into it with such high hopes too.

i thought it started off going in such a good direction too. spooky unexplainable mass suisides sprouting up suddenly, the expected "it must be terrorrists" panic, the seperation of large numbers of supposedly main characters to a variety of interesting places, etc, etc.

but he gave away the source of the disaster like 10 minutes into the movie, hardly long enough for you to wonder at all. and the way he killed every character WAY before you had the chance to get to know them, i mean come on.

it seemed like the only point to the movie was to watch a bunch of randoms greusomly off themselves for a couple of hours.
now... modern gaming has made me as desensatized as the next man, but the gore wasn't even any good. that scene where the bear attacks that guy... totally lame.

shamalan totally phoned this one in, and i for one wont be looking forward to anymore of his films. he impressed me a long time ago with the sixth sense and signs (both of which i liked), but he has let me down too many times to still get excited when i see his name in a preview.
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
the bunny is always watching.

↑ Up to the top!