Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Meet the Sniper
Meet the Sniper
2008-06-18, 10:59 PM #41
Quote:
In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

Wow, this sounds amazing. I wonder if it works against Sentry rockets, too? I probably won't be in a huge hurry to get the Backburner if the normal gun can do this.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-06-19, 12:01 AM #42
stopped playing tf2 after realizing i played 4 full days over just one week last quarter. during school. :-/
2008-06-19, 12:17 AM #43
this is the first thing i have ever seen concerning TF2, i knew nothing about it before. but i think im going to get it now.

this was hilarious. :)
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
the bunny is always watching.
2008-06-19, 2:26 PM #44
Pyro update just released. GO GO GO.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2008-06-19, 2:43 PM #45
This was my favorite one for sure.

Can't wait for the rest though.

The spy, the medic, and finally at last the pyro! Can't wait to see how they do that one.

No matter how many times I see it, whenever the pyro does his taunt it makes me laugh
2008-06-19, 2:54 PM #46
The pyro one they're going to reveal that the pyro's a girl.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-19, 5:10 PM #47
SUDDENLY PYROS. HUNDREDS OF THEM. EVERYWHERE.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-19, 5:21 PM #48
SO MUCH FIRE
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-19, 5:52 PM #49
We were saying in a server earlier, it is going to suck when they release the engineer achievements. No one will be attacking, just sentries everywhere.

Valve really should release all the achievements for the classes at once. But with Valve's speed, it probably wouldn't be out till 2013. At least they're officially releasing custom user made maps now.
2008-06-19, 6:25 PM #50
If I were valve, I would had done two classes at once, preferable class that counter each other. If they're gonna release the engineer class achievements, they should also release the spy ones too so at least when there are millions of sentries all over the place, you'll have millions of spies trying to sap them.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-06-19, 6:35 PM #51
Originally posted by SavageX378:
If I were valve, I would had done two classes at once, preferable class that counter each other. If they're gonna release the engineer class achievements, they should also release the spy ones too so at least when there are millions of sentries all over the place, you'll have millions of spies trying to sap them.

Yes.

This is f'in ridiculous.

It's not even fun at all with this many pyros.

Engineers... I probably won't even play the game for several weeks because it will be full of suck.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" β€” Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-06-19, 6:37 PM #52
You need some better servers.

My usual haunt started with teams of pyros, then they filtered out into some awesome games after a bit of time.

Also, 5 level 3 sentries next to each other on a bridge are NOT FUN TO GET PAST.
nope.
2008-06-19, 6:39 PM #53
TF2 is...like unplayable now. Seriously.

No teamwork at all. Defense is screwed when NO one bothers to build SGs. Offense is screwed when there ARE SGs, and pyros spam can't do jack.

I'm sorry Valve. We just recovered from the Medic spam, is this going to be like this every so months?
2008-06-19, 6:41 PM #54
The worst part is people just stand around cheesing "achievments" and the douches were actually kicking people for going for the objectives.

These stupid upgrades were an awful idea, Valve.

The game used to be fun.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" β€” Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-06-19, 6:45 PM #55
Really, theres still some servers where theres teamwork etc, I just spent 2 hours playing on one.

:P
nope.
2008-06-19, 7:17 PM #56
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Really, theres still some servers where theres teamwork etc, I just spent 2 hours playing on one.

Yea totally. I went into a server of 6 people and they were achievement farming (lame).

But if you get the right server, everyones still playing right. And if everyone starts playing as Pyro they typically get yelled at until most people change.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-19, 7:17 PM #57
Let's put this in perspective. As of now..

teamwork = intelligent discussion

servers = Massassi
2008-06-20, 2:39 AM #58
Really? You're not having any fun in the excitement of new Pyro stuff? It JUST came out. Embrace the chaos for now. It will eventually go back to there being only 1-3 Pyros, just like the Medics.
2008-06-20, 4:20 AM #59
If everyone hates it that much, how about... I don't know, setting up a Massassi server and playing on that?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-06-20, 10:44 AM #60
"OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt." :awesome:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-06-20, 11:19 AM #61
Also, I'm fairly sure the free weekend is so that theres other people playing the other classes while a load of twats are running around acheivement whoring.
nope.
2008-06-20, 1:33 PM #62
Getting the acheivements is slow for me. While I am kinda acheivement whoring, at least I am trying to play the role of the class. Like for the medic (which was my favorite class until the upgrade came out), I actually HEALED PEOPLE THAT NEEDED IT. Only thing that changed was who I was more likely to uber, and that I was more likely to use a weapon to defend myself instead of running like hell. Still working on medic acheivements a bit... only on milestone one :P
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-06-20, 1:38 PM #63
I hate pyros and medics, so I'm just continuing to plug along with snipers, demomen, and soldiers.

But yeah, soldiers didn't need this deflection crap, it really sucks. And they nerfed the dmg reduction from your own rockets too.
2008-06-20, 2:37 PM #64
Soldiers get all the hate but what about the Demoman? I think if any class needs to be nerfed its him.

I actually enjoyed being on a team of 9 pyro's. Take it for what it is - it won't be like this too long. There were so many pyro's on the server last night, I easily got the achievement for killing with the taunt because I just did it and a pyro ran into it.
2008-06-20, 2:40 PM #65
How can one nerf a rocket?

Retarded.
2008-06-20, 5:43 PM #66
Quote:
Got A Light?: Ignite an enemy Spy while he's flicking a cigarette.

You cannot get this without the Spy helping you. It's far too situational. I hate achievements like this. They do not promote standard play at all.
2008-06-20, 6:05 PM #67
I got it earlier because the spy was being a ****.

Originally posted by Anovis:
How can one nerf a rocket?

Retarded.

They used to have a 40% reduction on splash damage from your own rockets. They took that off.
nope.
2008-06-20, 6:33 PM #68
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
You cannot get this without the Spy helping you. It's far too situational. I hate achievements like this. They do not promote standard play at all.

Well, compared to the Medic pack, the Pyro achievements are mostly "get x amount of this" or "kill y amount of that" so all this Pyro madness will be over sooner. Some of the Medic pack were downright situational, prompting some stupid action, and destroyed gameplay when medics were wasting time on useless ubers and prancing around in back not helping.

They really made Pyro alot more effective. Much more. I just worry it is too "newbie-friendly" because I personally thought the class, prior to updates, was a nice challenge and required some thought before going into fights. Sure, the Pyro got shafted easily in most situations, but not many people saw how great it was when it came to ambushes. Now the compressed air bust and more damage within range pretty much allows him to dominate by just getting close. Which mean Spies have an even HARDER time to be effective.

I hope Spies are giving atleast something to deal with Pyros.
2008-06-21, 9:09 PM #69
Damn, gold sites for AoC already? Them chinese folks sure know how to work!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-06-22, 7:40 AM #70
So how does the air compression work? Is it for the regular pyro gun? I haven't played TF2, I've been working so much.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-22, 9:29 AM #71
Yes, it's the secondary fire on the default flamethrower.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2008-06-22, 11:05 AM #72
I actually like that concept. You could possibly run an engineer into the base in 2fort with a deflect. Does it deflect sentry rockets?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-22, 11:53 AM #73
It does indeed, but the sentry's bullets will still get you if you aren't careful. I typically use the Backburner for offense/forward defense, and the Poofer when I'm strictly defending a cap/sentries. It can really mess up an uber. On Gravel Pit's cap C, a single Pyro with a Dispenser could hold off all of BLU by himself.
2008-06-22, 12:14 PM #74
I think this is good. The Pyro was a pretty substandard class that required a lot of skill before hand. The problem is that, a very skilled pyro couldn't hold up against a very skilled user of anything else, essentially limiting him to spy-duty. I also think this inadvertently nerfs the overpowered demo/soldier/sentry that can literally halt progress in a game. My biggest hope is that the Engineer gains a bit of an offensive boost in his upgrades as well, allowing him to be more of a persistent battle-buffer, instead of just a defending camper. I think this was excellently well done with the medic, as I'm able to be much more efficient as a battle-medic, as well as more useful to my team with the battle-medic strategy, because now I rush in ahead of everyone, grab 4 or 5 kills, come back, uber, and then go off and kill some more.

The only criticism I can agree with is the way they're rolling these out. All at once would REALLY stave off the class spam. I'll probably quick cheat my way to all of the pyro weapons (Almost all of them are doable on a private server with no one else), and then join games as a medic to balance out the pyro-spam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-22, 12:35 PM #75
I'd just be happy if the sentries would shoot a friggin spy that's on fire >.>
2008-06-22, 1:13 PM #76
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
It does indeed, but the sentry's bullets will still get you if you aren't careful.

Are you sure because I havent been able to do it yet. :(

At the moment I love all the other pyros going for the 100 flare ignite things and just airshotting their flare back at them.
nope.
2008-06-22, 2:09 PM #77
Oh yes, I've done it. Sadly, I missed the sentry, and died on my second attempt. That's another reason why I only use the poofer for defense. Using it against every enemy I see is too tempting.
2008-06-22, 2:12 PM #78
Hehe, poofer.

Does that make them switch teams? :v:

Being serious though I reckon I'll try that out more later, until I finally get the backburner.
nope.

↑ Up to the top!