Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cold Wat Capitalism (a web game)
Cold Wat Capitalism (a web game)
2008-06-18, 4:28 PM #1
For those of you who aren't familiar with it, here's the game that Geb made. And here's my WIP adaption to HTML form.

I need some writing help. I made a news templating system which automatically posts news posts in response to user actions (just like the newspaper will post your photograph with a story if you do something phenomenally stupid). The current problem is it is very repetitive. The way to fix this is to make more possible news story templates to choose from, so I need some templates... please?

I'll post the ones I made for samples, and to give you guys the direction I'm trying to go (read Geb's thread for more inspiration). [http://images.mzzt.net/smilies/smile.gif]

Some things to keep in mind while making templates:

- ~PLACEHOLDER~s will be replaced with their values at run time, of course. Make sure names and such, especially ones starting with "The" will fit your text.
- Try to keep leader references gender neutral.
- I can't put any HTML in 'em nor can I implement any sort of BBcode since XHTML specs are very picky and if I were to allow access to a subset of HTML through it someone will forget to close a tag at some point and Firefox will refuse to show the page. Doing it a "proper" way to prevent this would be too much work for such a small project.

When a user joins a game:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~

The outdated and oft-ignored Lozier United Nations today officially recognized the existence of ~NATION~ ruled by ~LEADER~. "As the new nation has sworn to uphold the Lozier Accord as well as abstain from the construction of weapons of mass destruction, we hereby officially recognize ~NATION~ as a sovereign state." was the key phrase recorded today in the Lozier Chambers. When asked for comment, ~LEADER~ reported that "I am very excited to be moving so quickly towards my goals" and that the "gullible Loziers will never see it coming". More news as it develops.

--

When a nation is renamed:
Available placeholders: ~OLDNATION~ ~NATION~ ~LEADER~

Worried about how the country looked, dwarfed from the impressive names of its neighbors, ~LEADER~ issued a press release today revealing a change.

"Changes in policy are out of the question... this is a dictatorship, after all. Instead I will be changing our country's name to something a little more impressive and intimidating. We will no longer be known as ~OLDNATION~. From now on, I am the ruler of ~NATION~!"

In related news, illegal emigrations are believed to have risen as much as 500% as a result of this announcement.

--

When a nation's leader is renamed:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~OLDLEADER~ ~LEADER~

"I have so many enemies, I just don't feel safe anymore. So I figured, if I change my name it might throw them off my trail for... a day. Maybe more." the ruler formerly known as ~OLDLEADER~ confided in reporters today. "I mean, some of them are pretty stupid, you know? Anyways I'll take whatever breaks I can get!"

It is expected the nation will spend almost a million dollars recreating statue plaques for statues placed all over the country by the ruler. "Hey, when you're the best, you're the best! Besides, '~LEADER~' will look better on the statues anyway."

--

When both the nation and its leader are renamed:
Available placeholders: ~OLDNATION~ ~NATION~ ~OLDLEADER~ ~LEADER~

After long rallys and riots in the streets calling for change, citizens in ~OLDNATION~ today celebrated the peaceful transition to a new government today... or so they thought.

"These people are a simple people," said the former ~OLDLEADER~, now ~LEADER~, "so easy to fool."

Earlier today ~LEADER~ changed both is name and the name of his nation state, once known as ~OLDNATION~, now known as ~NATION~. "It's funny, you'd think SOMEBODY down there would have caught on."

Although citizens are hoping for sweeping policy changes, it is unlikely such changes will take place any time soon.

--

When you research a new weapon:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~ ~NAME~ ~COST~ ~RESOURCES~ ~DESCRIPTION~

Today in ~NATION~, ~LEADER~ signed a bill into law that legalizes the production and sale of ~NAME~. This deadly weapon is available for ~COST~ resources apiece, and each does ~COST~ damage. Here is an excerpt from the official press release:

"~DESCRIPTION~"

~NATION~ now has ~RESOURCES~ resources.

--

When you change the name of a weapon:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~ ~OLDNAME~ ~NAME~

~LEADER~ announced today that the name of the previously introduced weapon, ~OLDNAME~ was "a mistake".

"We knew from the beginning it should have been called ~NAME~, but we yeilded to public opinion when we shouldn't have. This has been rectified and we are all proud of the new name," the beaming leader reported.

--

When you change the name and description of a weapon:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~ ~OLDNAME~ ~NAME~ ~DESCRIPTION~

"I made a promise to our people years ago: 'We will become the #1 arms dealer in the world, or my name isn't ~LEADER~!' I intend to keep my promises, not through research and development of the latest technology, but by renaming our weapons and hoping our neighbors are stupid enough to think they're new!"

The ruler went on to declare the new name for ~OLDNAME~: ~NAME~. A new press release was issued with weapon specifications, similar to the original, "but modified enough to also look new:

"~DESCRIPTION~"

--

When you buy some weapons:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~ ~RESOURCES~ ~LIST~

"Well, I didn't think our PEOPLE needed this money, so I figured 'Why the hell not?'" ~LEADER~ was quoted as saying earlier today, standing in front of ~NATION~ National Gold Vault as workers loaded the gold therein onto trucks outside. "Hey, they got nukes over in that country, and even worse in that other country, so I figure it's time we get some WMDs for our own."

According to our contacts in various government offices, we have determined ~NATION~ has purchased the following:
~LIST~

This leaves them with ~RESOURCES~ resources remaining.

--

When you fire some weapons:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~ ~RIVAL~ ~RLEADER~ ~LASTWEAPON~ ~DAMAGE~ ~RESOURCES~ ~LIST~

~NATION~ declared war on ~RIVAL~ today, through the tried-and-true method of attacking without provocation or warning. "What the hell are they thinking?" ~RLEADER~ was heard to have said, hiding under a desk, "We're a sovereign nation, they can't do this to us!"

As that nation was in an uproar, the attackers were calm and collected. "They were asking for that for some time." ~LEADER~ casually commented. "I mean, they were SITTING there. On our border! We can't stand that type of offense, and they KNEW it!"

Our government contacts have already procured the lists of weapons used in the strike, for your reading pleasure:
~LIST~

This leaves ~RIVAL~ with ~RESOURCES~ resources remaining.

--

When you destroy another nation:
Available placeholders: ~NATION~ ~LEADER~ ~RIVAL~ ~RLEADER~ ~LASTWEAPON~ ~DAMAGE~ ~RESOURCES~ ~LIST~

~LEADER~ watches as the line of bulldozers roll toward ~RIVAL~'s horizon. "It's about time this nation was mine... we've been needing to expand our landfills for some time now."

The attack that took place today was sudden, swift and decisive. "When I saw that last ~LASTWEAPON~ go sailing into ~RIVAL~, it was so beautiful, I almost cried."

~NATION~ government has proudly published a list of the weapons used in today's assault:
~LIST~

These weapons of war did a total of ~DAMAGE~ damages causing the nation's resources to go into the red at ~RESOURCES~. The annexed former-nation is expected to be renamed to Lesser ~NATION~ later today.

--

Those are it, apart from a few messages which I don't think need to be randomized:

--

It seems our last two contestants' weapons passed each other in mid air before blowing each other up. YOU ALL LOSE. GAME OVER.

--

We have a winner!

Welcome to ~NATION~, the only nation left in the world, led by ~LEADER~, the only leader left in the world.

Enjoy your stay!

GAME OVER.

--

The game has been reset manually.

--

~MESSAGE~

2008-06-18, 4:33 PM #2
wat
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-06-18, 4:33 PM #3
b&