Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who was your college graduation speaker?
Who was your college graduation speaker?
2008-06-21, 1:33 AM #1
Richard M. Daley, mayor of Chicago.
2008-06-21, 1:54 AM #2
I have no idea. I didn't go to mine.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-21, 5:54 AM #3
Some mechanical engineer who graduated from my college. *yawn*
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-06-21, 6:36 AM #4
Bill Bryson. He's Chancellor of our old uni.

BEAT THAT MOFOS.
2008-06-21, 8:19 AM #5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwin_Rose

It was basically an hour long tirade against creationism.

It was awesome.
2008-06-21, 8:31 AM #6
I hate graduation speakers. They always rant about something that has nothing to do with graduation.

John Grisham spoke at mine. All he did was whine about President Bush.
2008-06-21, 8:47 AM #7
Bob Geldof
2008-06-21, 9:12 AM #8
Haven't graduated.. but I saw Bill Clinton give a graduation speech at RIT.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-21, 9:26 AM #9
JK Rowling gave an awesome speech at Harvard... the first few moments are really funny. It would be awesome to have her at my graduation.

2008-06-21, 9:27 AM #10
Dean Kamen, Inventor of the Segway
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2008-06-21, 9:42 AM #11
Bill started with "A good speech should have a strong beginning, a strong end, and keep the two as close together as possible."

Especially funny as we'd just had to sit through the dean of science's 45 minute drone about someone nobody cared about getting an honorary degree (who incidentally had enough real degrees to sink an ocean liner, but that's beside the point).
2008-06-21, 3:58 PM #12
My brother just graduated from Stanford with an MBA.

His speaker was

*drumroll*

Oprah Winfrey.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2008-06-21, 6:36 PM #13
I won't graduate till next year, but this year Tony Blair came. I slept through it.
2008-06-21, 6:48 PM #14
Mine was some dude from West Point. He used a lot of football metaphors, I think. The sound system was terrible, so I didn't really hear anything he said.
2008-06-22, 4:07 AM #15
Originally posted by ragna:
Richard M. Daley, mayor of Chicago.

This. And it sounded like a re-election speech.

P.S.: Weinberg College welcome and main addresses were both better than Daley.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-22, 4:12 AM #16
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
This. And it sounded like a re-election speech.

P.S.: Weinberg College welcome and main addresses were both better than Daley.

Also... our last three graduation speakers were John McCain, Barack Obama and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. We couldn't get someone better than Daley for our 150th commencement? This complaint is old news to ragna, but I'd like to submit it to the rest of Massassi because... seriously?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-22, 11:27 AM #17
At my graduation and every graduation I atended at my college, the only speakers were students and faculty.
Even though I'd rather not hear any of them, i'd rather hear from people who had a strong, current affiliation with the school rather than some random celebrity or poitician.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-06-23, 1:59 PM #18
Haven't done the whole college thing yet, but our highschool grad speaker was Bob Woodruff.

↑ Up to the top!