Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What do you think is the best voting method?
What do you think is the best voting method?
2004-08-08, 6:16 PM #1
I don't really care who you want to vote for. But, what do you think is the most problematic-less voting method to count millions of votes around the country? Or which one you would choose to rely on for getting your vote counted?

Butterfly-ballets? Optical scan? Hole-punch cards? Computers? Mail-in? Or anything else?

Personally, I would say optical scan (the bubble sheet). Well, if problems of the vision-impaired don't appear, the voting data could be read by a scanner, not a person, and sent easily to a databank. I assume there won't be problems of "how much does the bubbles need to be filled in."

I don't trust computers. People could hack into the system and tamper with voting data. And the network, or something, could fail due to glitches or some kind of power failure. Thoughts? Anyone care?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-08, 6:33 PM #2
I'm sorry but I read this as "What do you think is the best vomiting method?"

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-08, 6:34 PM #3
Thank you very much.

------------------

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
2004-08-08, 6:43 PM #4
Same thing

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-08, 7:15 PM #5
Then you too really oughtnto learn to read [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

I've used the punch card kind of ballots and electronic, touch screen ballots and I found the electronic ballots to be easier to use.

Any voting systemis going to have it's pros and cons. The 2000 election showed some of the problems with the old punch ballots with the whole hanging and dimpled chad fiasco.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-08, 7:28 PM #6
What we use in Finland is pretty convenient as it negates the whole "anybody but X" factor until the second and final round.

You have your list of candidates, no more than one per party. You cast your vote, all of which are counted. There are 3-5 parties which tend to have pretty good chances to win.

The top two candidates (usually the Social Democrat vs. someone from a Bourgeouise/Centrist party) are chosen for the final round and pitted against each other a week later. At this stage some people tend to go "NOOOO, anyone but X" and vote. Winner takes it all.

None of this electoral points stuff. It's all based on actual counted votes. Then again, the population of the United States is at least 5 times larger...

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-08, 7:44 PM #7
Ya, and the Founding Fathers realized that 90% of Americans were stupid and wouldnt vote anyways...

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-08, 7:51 PM #8
Instant runoff + touchscreens with paper receipt.
2004-08-08, 10:03 PM #9
vote by raising hands while big bulky 6-feet tall men with baseball bats await to beat you up.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-09, 4:23 AM #10
This is the best method. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-09, 5:53 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
This is the best method. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

I somehow knew this was coming...

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
enjoy.music
yay for not posting much ever
2004-08-09, 7:39 AM #12
Electronic voting by itself is flawed b/c there is no paper trail in case of a miscount or if a recount is needed.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-09, 7:43 AM #13
I had something else written here, then I realized I might have started a HUGE flamewar.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-09, 7:52 AM #14
I don't mind a flame war on voting...

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-09, 8:59 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Any voting systemis going to have it's pros and cons. The 2000 election showed some of the problems with the old punch ballots with the whole hanging and dimpled chad fiasco.</font>
That wasn't a problem with the punch card. That was a problem with Floridian officials.

Any Other State's Vote Counter: Well, this guy ****ed up. He punched the hole for Gore and Bush. His vote is void.

Floridian Vote Counter: Well, this guy voted for both Gore and Bush. Using my amazing psychic powers and a magnifying glass, lets see who he really wanted to vote for. Oh, and this one over here has a dimpled chad. Was the person not strong enough to puncture a piece of paper with a pen? I must use my psychic powers again.

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited August 09, 2004).]
2004-08-09, 9:08 AM #16
http://shauri.hopto.org/polls.pl?id=33

Vote!

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-09, 9:38 AM #17
I want online voting (with everyone providing electronic signatures), although it needs to be so secure there's no way you could tamper with it in any way.

Counting the votes would be easy as it would happen automatically. Also, a lot more young people would vote. Many old people would have to be introduced to computers; this won't be an issue in the not-so-distant future when all age groups consider basic knowledge in computers something of a basic trait.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.

[This message has been edited by Krokodile (edited August 09, 2004).]
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-09, 9:45 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krokodile:
Counting the votes would be easy as it would happen automatically. Also, a lot more young people would vote. Many old people would have to be introduced to computers; this won't be an issue in the not-so-distant future when all age groups consider basic knowledge in computers something of a basic trait.

</font>

The system Ictus proposes has this feature as the actual voting is done electronically.

The paper reciept can be the "paper trail" used for recounts or whatever, but that shouldn't be necessary.
2004-08-09, 9:47 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krokodile:
Many old people would have to be introduced to computers; this won't be an issue in the not-so-distant future when......
</font>
....they're all DEAD!

------------------
2004-08-09, 9:48 AM #20
I read your topic as "What do you think is the best violating method?".

------------------
"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip."
-Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2004-08-09, 5:16 PM #21
Thank you very much.

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-09, 5:18 PM #22
I think they should just read our minds. Either that or decide for us.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-09, 6:12 PM #23
In the future, ALL voting will be done via ActiveX objects, andwill require Internet Explorer for "security purposes".

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-09, 7:28 PM #24
Best Voting Method: Twice.

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-09, 7:35 PM #25
The popular vote.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-10, 12:16 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
The popular vote.</font>
(lol)

I think they should just replace all current voting systems with an online voting system. Also, you should be able to vote as many times as you want, to the extent of being able to craft elegant looping scripts to make as many votes for candidates of their choosing.

I think this will greatly accelerate the advancement of computer sciences, networking technologies and all related fields without making modern representative democracy any more of a sham than it already is.
2004-08-10, 1:33 AM #27
You should vote online by putting in your social security number, or another unique code, this way, you only get one vote per citizen and no way to miscount them.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-10, 1:42 AM #28
What if somebody else puts in your number?

------------------
2004-08-10, 2:07 AM #29
The idea is to not give your number to anyone.

------------------
2004-08-10, 3:21 AM #30
butterfly ballets are crap. its things like that that got ..nevermind i aint goin there but yeah. certainly against the butterfly ballets. it should be simple. persons name& party. and a circle beside their name. you holepunch the circle you choose.

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-08-10, 5:23 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
The idea is to not give your number to anyone.

</font>

/me makes up a bunch of numbers and prays it is Flexor.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-10, 6:26 AM #32
Voting method aside, I am a supporter of mandatory voting. Upon turning 18, not voting should be punishable by a fee. It's already done in places like Australia. It would really help to boost the US's voting number, a problem I think that is more important than the method of how votes are taking. The fees could then be used to improve said method of voting.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-08-10, 7:27 AM #33
The butterfly ballot had nothing wrong with it. It was the voters who had the problem. Didn't they give that same ballot to elementary schools and the kids were able to distinguish the different punch holes for Gore and Buchanon? Yeah, if grade school kids can vote for the right candidate and you cannot and you have decades upon them, you shouldn't be voting.

Requirements for voting:
Intelligence
Sensibility

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-10, 8:31 AM #34
You forgot "White", Gandalf. Or is this the new enlightened literacy test?
2004-08-10, 9:04 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
You should vote online by putting in your social security number, or another unique code, this way, you only get one vote per citizen and no way to miscount them.

</font>

voting online? bad idea. The election could be hacked so easily. In that case, it would be disqualified and a new election would have to be held, at the taxpayer's expense.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

↑ Up to the top!