Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the good, bad, and ugly of online portfolios
the good, bad, and ugly of online portfolios
2008-06-23, 1:30 PM #1
I'm working on making an online portfolio to apply with towards getting a career in the game development industry. It'll consist mostly of artwork (traditional animations and drawings), game designs, and writing samples (short stories and such). However, I'd still like to gauge what I should include and avoid, which of course means I'll be turning to you all!

1) What do you think SHOULD be in an online portfolio? What do you like in them?

2) What SHOULDN'T be in an online portfolio? What don't you like?

3) Do you have any random other stuff about online portfolios you wish to share?

Feel free to link to examples you think work and don't work. I appreciate any help you all can supply.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-06-23, 1:52 PM #2
pictures of your **** are a definate no no:huh:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-23, 1:59 PM #3
I've seen some pretty awful portfolios in my time.

Most of them were esoteric flash sites with "hidden" buttons.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-06-23, 2:07 PM #4
what should be in your portfolio: No more than 10 of your best pieces. You dont want to have TOO many things for people to look at. Also, try to show diversity between each piece.

Personally if im looking at a portfolio, i want something thats going to be easy to understand and quick to find the work. Dont put up tooooo much stuff. The simpler the better
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-23, 2:09 PM #5
Originally posted by Freelancer:

Im not sure what you mean by "hidden buttons" but I'll defend flash portfolios cause thats what im doing :colbert:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-23, 2:18 PM #6
Web 2.0
2008-06-23, 2:27 PM #7
flash porfolios are nasty.
Any site that is entirly flash should be removed.

Anyway, I agree with the first thing mb said.

It should be easy to navigate, clean, clear and concise.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-06-23, 3:49 PM #8
Originally posted by Freelancer:

Silly Free, flash sites with hidden buttons aren't food.
nope.

↑ Up to the top!