Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → FL Studio - Anyone?
FL Studio - Anyone?
2008-06-24, 6:05 AM #1
I've been demoing FL Studio, and I really like it. However, there doesn't seem to be a good way of learning it short of 'okay' tutorials and online forum help. Anyone here use it? or have any feedback with it?

FL Studio used to be Fruity Loops, if anyone might have used that from a while back.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-24, 6:10 AM #2
I use fruity loops 5, with about 400 megs of soundfonts, 50 megs extra proffesional VST's and all the FL7/8 filters etc added on too.

Took me 2 years to get any descent songs out of it.

Opening the demo songs and looking at HOW they were made is a good start.
I tend not to trust online tutorials. the best teachers are current advanced users (me :p) and more importantly, learning yourself.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-24, 6:47 AM #3
Yeah, I use it every now and then.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-06-24, 7:12 AM #4
Well I intend to buy FL Studio 8 XXL with a couple attachments in the not so distant future. I am learning a lot so far on the demo. Making a decent metroid song for my own enjoyment. I can't seem to understand how the slicer works though. I keep getting frustrated at the jarbled nonsense I get out of it instead of the genius others do.
2008-06-24, 8:37 AM #5
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Well I intend to buy FL Studio 8 XXL with a couple attachments in the not so distant future. I am learning a lot so far on the demo. Making a decent metroid song for my own enjoyment. I can't seem to understand how the slicer works though. I keep getting frustrated at the jarbled nonsense I get out of it instead of the genius others do.

Compression and EQing is your friend.

:awesome:
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-24, 10:59 AM #6
I've messed with the EQ some, not with compression? (Assuming compression you mean like...file formats?)

You will likely have to dumb terms down for me, im still learning this stuff haha.

*pushes people* N00B COMING THRU!
2008-06-24, 1:51 PM #7
I've messed with the EQ some, not with compression? (Assuming compression you mean like...file formats?)

You will likely have to dumb terms down for me, im still learning this stuff haha.

*pushes people* N00B COMING THRU!

Compression is important. It averages the sound level. Thats a huge oversimplification, but it's kind of an esoteric concept to explain and I'm honestly not that great. It has a lot of far reaching effects and has a lot to do with the "sound" of anything you hear.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-06-24, 1:57 PM #8
Too bad everything made with Fruity Loops sounds like it was made with Fruity Loops.

Reason is pretty ace I hear.
2008-06-24, 1:59 PM #9
Well I intend to buy FL Studio 8 XXL with a couple attachments in the not so distant future. I am learning a lot so far on the demo.

On a related note, whenever you buy FL Studio you get free updates for life. Pretty neat, that.
2008-06-24, 2:00 PM #10
I knew a guy who made some amazing stuff, pretty professional quality. He used Reason.
Warhead[97]
2008-06-24, 3:03 PM #11
Basshunter uses FL >.>
2008-06-24, 3:44 PM #12
Quote:

Compression is like what Spook said. Basically it decreases the dynamic range of the song which increases the perceived loudness.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-06-24, 3:47 PM #13
Originally posted by ragna:
Basshunter uses FL >.>

That'd be why I've never heard of him/her/them.
nope.
2008-06-24, 4:26 PM #14
compression = controlling how hard a sound punches through other sounds, like drums, and can filter out more quiet useless sounds to clean up a track.
Still, tahts the simple version.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-24, 8:01 PM #15
Ah I see. I've messed with some of that I think... not much though. I am still FAR from understanding the capabilities of this software, but its about right for my price range and seems to have a fairly user-friendly setup for both novice and advanced users. The hardest thing is going to get the sounds in my head to come out of the speakers haha
2008-06-25, 8:40 PM #16
True there are better programs then FL, but they aren't as user friendly or as visual as fruity loops is. (Visual in terms of actually seeing your samples and song structure as objects rather then clips.)

The best way to learn is like what has already been stated, pick apart the demo songs under "cool stuff". You'll learn alot of tricks that way. Other then that its all experimentation and if you must, youtube videos. After a good year or two of messing around with it you'll know your way around pretty decently. Hell maybe you'll be making OC Remixes by then.

NOTE: As tempting as it may be, avoid making cheesy rap tracks at all costs.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-06-25, 9:21 PM #17
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
NOTE: As tempting as it may be, avoid making cheesy rap tracks at all costs.

agreed. I will personally rape you if you do. As in bad rape!
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-26, 8:18 AM #18
Haha, no right now im focusing on using my Metroid song as a learning experience. BTW- I found the compressor... and holy bjesus is that an amazing tool. I took some metroid chirps from SNES and had to remove some notes from the theme, but preserve the chirp... it worked better than I could have ever imagined.
2008-06-26, 9:33 AM #19
I FL, but I suck.
2008-06-26, 10:11 AM #20
Me too man, getting better though. For what it is, it seems like a fairly great program in all. I just need to understand all of the tools better. I'm still using the Piano Roll for more than I should be.
2008-06-26, 11:19 AM #21
Originally posted by Rob:
Too bad everything made with Fruity Loops sounds like it was made with Fruity Loops.

Yeah that pretty much confirms you know sod-all i guess :omg: :eng101:

The only difference between FL and Reason, are the samples, synths and vst effects/compressors are better in reason.

But if you have FL, and all the extras from reason, and much more, then its better than both combined. FL is only a *template* (per say) that loads vst/dlls/wavs, same as reason.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-26, 11:25 AM #22
I looked at it once and was pissed off by the lack of something as simple as a straight up, no frills damn piano. Everything sounds like a goddamn techno instrument, even the "e-grand" sitrus imitation.
2008-06-26, 11:27 AM #23
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I looked at it once and was pissed off by the lack of something as simple as a straight up, no frills damn piano. Everything sounds like a goddamn techno instrument, even the "e-grand" sitrus imitation.

Thats just Fruity Loops sucking so hard.

Everything you make in Fruity Loops will sound like it was made in Fruity Loops. There just isn't any escaping it, unless you go over everything in protools to with nine billion anti-suck filters.
2008-06-26, 11:54 AM #24
This is way more fun than fruity loops
http://www.hobnox.com/index.1056.en.html
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-26, 11:57 AM #25

You usually have to pay for sound libraries.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-06-26, 12:05 PM #26
I think this thread should turn into a "POST UR FRUITY LOOPS MUZAKS" one.

Bobby Prince - Space Storm (Duke Nukem 3D, cover)

Pardon the mixing, that's actually me sucking instead of Fruity Loops :tfti:
2008-06-26, 12:48 PM #27

Uh... "Pure Piano" is a straight up piano plugin. I don't know if its optional or not, but FL has it.
2008-06-26, 3:00 PM #28
Originally posted by Tracer:
You usually have to pay for sound libraries.

you sir are an fool.

I never paid anything.

http://www.sf2midi.com/

and Rob, i've been making songs in FL5 for years. 2 years ago i had a song played in a bournemouth club, and another song played on a radio station in belfast. If it sounded like Fruityloops tacky techno, they wouldnt have played it and found it well recieved
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-26, 3:07 PM #29
Originally posted by Ruthven:
you sir are an fool.

I never paid anything.

and Rob, i've been making songs in FL5 for years. 2 years ago i had a song played in a bournemouth club, and another song played on a radio station in belfast. If it sounded like Fruityloops tacky techno, they wouldnt have played it and found it well recieved

Basshunter is pretty well recieved.

You two even look the same.
2008-06-26, 3:43 PM #30
Okay, if you want good (i.e. professional quality) sound libraries you usually have to pay, and it depends on what instruments you're looking for.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-06-26, 4:26 PM #31
Originally posted by Ruthven:
you sir are an fool.

I never paid anything.

Arguing with him is like arguing with a book. It's never going to change.
2008-06-26, 4:48 PM #32
Hey, is there a way to get my midi controller going in this, or run my guitar direct in?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-06-26, 5:36 PM #33
Hey, is there a way to get my midi controller going in this, or run my guitar direct in?

It's pretty much designed with that in mind.
2008-06-26, 8:16 PM #34
Arguing with him is like arguing with a book. It's never going to change.

I could say the same thing about both of you because you're both a couple of thickies.
2008-06-27, 3:07 AM #35
sorry i was in an argumentative mood never mind
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-27, 5:47 AM #36
After fooling around in FL last night I discovered the piano is called "Plain Piano" not "Pure Piano" and there are several versions of it.
2008-06-27, 5:50 AM #37
i can send you 2 high quality sound fonts if you want.
the Akai Steinway piano has about 20 different sounds for each key, depending on how hard you hit the note (ie midi velocity). its very realistic.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-27, 5:52 AM #38
If you can e-mail it sure thing, if not I will have to try to pick it up from you this weekend. My computer at home is currently on dial up :(
2008-06-27, 8:29 AM #39

MIDI yes, guitar no. Unless something has changed in recent versions.

↑ Up to the top!