Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Upgrading
Upgrading
2008-06-27, 1:20 AM #1
Will this little gem paired with an nvidia 8800gtx (768mb) will run newer games (UT3, Gears of War, Turok 3, Quake 4, etc etc.) smoothly at high resolutions? Paired with the proper motherboard obviously.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117149
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-06-27, 5:54 AM #2
It depends on what you consider high resolution, but on the games you mentioned I would guess you could handle 1920x1200 with all the details on high.

I assume you also getting a minimum of 2gb ram.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-06-27, 9:44 AM #3
this might be better
http://www.etech4sale.com/partinfo-id-1628.html
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-27, 10:32 AM #4
Well considering I'm still running a single processor on a radeon9800, 1024x728 is good resolution hahaha, also I'd probably be running 4gb of ram.
-Martyn
2008-06-27, 12:02 PM #5
I run a DC2duo 6750, 2gb ram, 8800gt, and I can run most of that stuff at max widescreen (somethingx1050) as long as i leave off AA. I plan to get another GT and SLI or swap in a set of 9800s.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-27, 3:17 PM #6
Getting a Xeon for the desktop is like getting a gauss rifle for fishing.
D E A T H
2008-06-27, 5:02 PM #7
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
Well considering I'm still running a single processor on a radeon9800, 1024x728 is good resolution hahaha, also I'd probably be running 4gb of ram.

So you're running Vista 64bit?
2008-06-27, 5:04 PM #8
Get a Core 2 Duo, not a Xeon.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-27, 5:38 PM #9
Yeah, except Crysis of course. Although if you don't have a video card yet, you're much better of buying an HD4750.
2008-06-27, 7:01 PM #10
That is not a good game processor.

Xeons are not meant for games. They use a special error-corrected buffered RAM which has a much higher latency than ordinary memory. Because of the high-latency memory, the massive amount of cache offers nothing to improve game performance. There are no current games that can take advantage of 4 modern processors, and future games will be offloading so much general-purpose computation to the GPU that you will see no benefit later on either. That's also, specifically, a poor choice for a Xeon because it only supports a 1333 MHz bus - Xeons use quad-channeled memory, so I'd never ever get a Xeon slower than the 2.8 GHz Harpertown (1.6 GHz bus). And because they use quad-channeled memory you should also invest in two matched pairs which will probably bankrupt you.

Xeons are meant for audio/video encoding, servers, software development, 3D design and other tasks that benefit from a huge amount of cache and don't suffer from a high-memory latency. Tasks where buffered/error-corrected memory is a requirement and in the sort of situation where you'd want a Quadro for the mathematical accuracy even though the performance is terrible.

Basically what I'm saying is that, if you really want a quad core you should get the Core 2 Quad Q6700, which is $100 cheaper and 333 MHz faster than the Xeon you are looking at. But really you should get a Core 2 Duo. And since you aren't wasting so much money on FB-DIMMs and quad core you'll be able to splurge and get something ungodly fast and probably a water cooling system to go with it.
2008-06-27, 10:07 PM #11
Quote:
That is not a good game processor.

Xeons are not meant for games. They use a special error-corrected buffered RAM which has a much higher latency than ordinary memory. Because of the high-latency memory, the massive amount of cache offers nothing to improve game performance. There are no current games that can take advantage of 4 modern processors, and future games will be offloading so much general-purpose computation to the GPU that you will see no benefit later on either. That's also, specifically, a poor choice for a Xeon because it only supports a 1333 MHz bus - Xeons use quad-channeled memory, so I'd never ever get a Xeon slower than the 2.8 GHz Harpertown (1.6 GHz bus). And because they use quad-channeled memory you should also invest in two matched pairs which will probably bankrupt you.

Xeons are meant for audio/video encoding, servers, software development, 3D design and other tasks that benefit from a huge amount of cache and don't suffer from a high-memory latency. Tasks where buffered/error-corrected memory is a requirement and in the sort of situation where you'd want a Quadro for the mathematical accuracy even though the performance is terrible.

Basically what I'm saying is that, if you really want a quad core you should get the Core 2 Quad Q6700, which is $100 cheaper and 333 MHz faster than the Xeon you are looking at. But really you should get a Core 2 Duo. And since you aren't wasting so much money on FB-DIMMs and quad core you'll be able to splurge and get something ungodly fast and probably a water cooling system to go with it.

Now that is what I was looking for. Major thanks.

Quote:
So you're running Vista 64bit?

God no. Still a 32-bit system. Everything was kickass....

.........back around 2003..... :tinfoil:
-Martyn
2008-06-27, 11:20 PM #12
Also, would you suggest a duo core like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
-Martyn
2008-06-28, 12:03 AM #13
Yes, that one looks quite good to me.

↑ Up to the top!