Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [tech] Connection Sharing
[tech] Connection Sharing
2008-06-27, 8:15 PM #1
After all the Diablo III talk lately, I got the urge to dabble in D2 again. So I installed it, patched it, got ready to click my demons into oblivion, then OH NO! I've never had an issue with Vista until now, but D2 runs like **** on it. It gets very choppy when I first load it, then any time after I switch back to the desktop. I did some research, and the culprit is probably some massive memory leak, but I'm no tech guru and don't know for sure. If anybody knows of a fix for this problem, that would be quite grand, but right now I'm pursuing another fix...

I have an older computer that I've got working again. It's specs are more than enough to run D2 beautifully, and thankfully it's sporting Windows XP. The only problem is that I lost my wireless antenna for it, and there is no way to conveniently connect it to the router via ethernet. I currently have it connected to my vista pc with an ethernet cable, and file sharing is working fine, but it refuses to share the internet connection. I do have internet connection sharing enabled on the vista pc. Does anyone know if there's a simple way to fix this, or am I going to have to cave and just get a new antenna?
2008-06-27, 8:23 PM #2
Diablo II runs perfectly on Vista for me. I'd say it's more of a driver issue for you.
2008-06-28, 11:27 AM #3
hmm, well I've updated my video drivers, but no such luck. I did find out, however, that it runs smoothly in windowed mode. It would be nice to get the kinks sorted out completely, but it's not a huge deal. At least it still runs. I've heard reports from people who haven't been so lucky.
2008-06-28, 12:42 PM #4
To answer your question, if you have sharing turned on, the Vista box is going to be given a static IP at the address 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

If you aren't getting assigned an address on the XP box, or it's set static, try setting it to:

IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

Leave Secondary DNS blank.

You should then be up and running. :)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-29, 12:24 PM #5
Thanks a bunch :). I'm going to give it a shot tonight and will see how it goes. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work, and I break down and just switch over my other wireless antenna.

↑ Up to the top!