Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Reality of a $900 car.......
Reality of a $900 car.......
2008-07-01, 9:28 PM #1
Teal 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS, 3.1 liter V6, 4 spd automatic (w/ overdrive). No major problems.

I bought it for the body which is damn near perfect. My other 91 (red) has some accident damage so I'm gonna swap both front fenders, front bumper, rear bumper, and ground effects. I'll put the damaged red parts back on the green one and sell it for whatever I can get for it.

[http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1199/p1010753os6.jpg]

[http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6001/p1010765kp2.jpg]

[http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/266/p1010781zh8.jpg]

Sitting next to my red 91 which packs a 5.7 liter V8 Caprice 9C1 police package engine, which was obviously swapped in.

[http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1378/p1010775ys4.jpg]
2008-07-01, 9:35 PM #2
why does it say trans am on the inside?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-07-01, 9:37 PM #3
Previous owner Velcro'd a Trans Am map pocket to the dash.
2008-07-01, 10:06 PM #4
Where at, and how much?
2008-07-01, 10:07 PM #5
Caprice Interceptor engine = win. :awesome:
woot!
2008-07-01, 10:37 PM #6
"Police package" means higher performance = myth
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-01, 10:40 PM #7
son of a poop
want
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-01, 10:50 PM #8
Front spoiler needs paint ASAP. Other then that, great buy.

Now for the LS7 swap.........
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-01, 10:59 PM #9
Originally posted by Wookie06:

Police package typically means heavy duty alternator and tranny cooler. Heavier shocks/swaybars sometimes, but obviously not on an engine.
woot!
2008-07-01, 11:10 PM #10
Originally posted by JLee:
Police package typically means heavy duty alternator and tranny cooler. Heavier shocks/swaybars sometimes, but obviously not on an engine.

Exactly. Basically allows the car to handle the increased strain on the electrical system, increased weight, and the cooling capacity to handle the increased burden. I know I'm restating what you said but I wanted to add that even those additions don't really equal higher performance, even on a stripped down police car. They simply give the car the ability to not fall apart as quickly as a non-police equiped car would with the additional strain.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-01, 11:14 PM #11
Quote:

In 1991 the best engine you could get in a Caprice was a 170HP/255TQ 5.0 Unless you were the police, in which case you could get a 195HP/295TQ 5.7.

1992-93 the 5.7 was available to the masses under the Caprice hood with 180HP/300TQ, however it was NOT the same as the 5.7 that was available to the police which had 205HP/300TQ.

So, yeah.

Quote:
Now for the LS7 swap.........

zoom zoom ;) The red one is still my daily driver, it's going to be getting an upgraded set of heads and a mild cam soon. Don't wanna go too crazy with it. I'm probably about $1000 away from the 300HP/400TQ mark which I would be more than pleased with. Thats the beauty of the american V8. Older than the hills, hasn't changed much in 50 years, parts are everywhere, easy to work on, and dirt dirt cheap. You simply can NOT beat the power to the ground per dollar spent.
2008-07-01, 11:22 PM #12
Exactly. Basically allows the car to handle the increased strain on the electrical system, increased weight, and the cooling capacity to handle the increased burden. I know I'm restating what you said but I wanted to add that even those additions don't really equal higher performance, even on a stripped down police car. They simply give the car the ability to not fall apart as quickly as a non-police equiped car would with the additional strain.

Police cars aren't stripped down..they're packed full of so much crap, it's a wonder they can catch anything at all. :P
woot!
2008-07-02, 7:40 AM #13
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
In 1991 the best engine you could get in a Caprice was a 170HP/255TQ 5.0 Unless you were the police, in which case you could get a 195HP/295TQ 5.7.

1992-93 the 5.7 was available to the masses under the Caprice hood with 180HP/300TQ, however it was NOT the same as the 5.7 that was available to the police which had 205HP/300TQ.

So, yeah.

Um, just because the police package engine was more powerful than other engines available to the general population on that particular model of car doesn't make it a higher performing version of that engine.

So, yeah.

Police cars aren't stripped down..they're packed full of so much crap, it's a wonder they can catch anything at all. :P

Yeah, but my point was to counter the innevitable argument that a stripped down prior police car would be a better performance car. The beefed up suspension would probably actually adversely effect handling with the extra weight removed from the car.

2008-07-02, 11:05 AM #14
Quote:
zoom zoom The red one is still my daily driver, it's going to be getting an upgraded set of heads and a mild cam soon. Don't wanna go too crazy with it. I'm probably about $1000 away from the 300HP/400TQ mark which I would be more than pleased with. Thats the beauty of the american V8. Older than the hills, hasn't changed much in 50 years, parts are everywhere, easy to work on, and dirt dirt cheap. You simply can NOT beat the power to the ground per dollar spent.

HELL of alot easier to work on then my 4.6 :suicide:
-Martyn
2008-07-02, 11:07 AM #15
There's a corpse in the trunk.
2008-07-02, 2:55 PM #16
They've started using Dodge Chargers around here as cruisers. It's purely for show and an intimidation factor. The officers aren't allowed the full hemi model because they had a tendency to roll the Crown Vics a little too often.

:neckbeard:
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-07-02, 8:38 PM #17
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
They've started using Dodge Chargers around here as cruisers. It's purely for show and an intimidation factor. The officers aren't allowed the full hemi model because they had a tendency to roll the Crown Vics a little too often.

:neckbeard:

You mean these Hemis?

[http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2553/71010688hn6.jpg]
woot!
2008-07-02, 9:10 PM #18
It's not purely for show. They don't have a lot of options since they don't make the vic anymore and the new impalas are not as effective on the highway. The charger was a natural choice...the fact that it looks AWESOME is just a bonus. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol is switching to them entirely, and that makes me feel good inside.

It's pretty awesome that you have two of the same car...I want that.
Warhead[97]
2008-07-02, 9:11 PM #19
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
It's not purely for show. They don't have a lot of options since they don't make the vic anymore and the new impalas are not as effective on the highway. The charger was a natural choice...the fact that it looks AWESOME is just a bonus. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol is switching to them entirely, and that makes me feel good inside.

It's pretty awesome that you have two of the same car...I want that.

We have 2009 Crown Vics coming this fall. :confused:
woot!
2008-07-02, 9:16 PM #20
Whaaat? Wow, I looked it up. Apparently I'm a solid 2 years behind in news on that. I guess they are still producing it as a fleet vehicle. Sorry.

Everybody, turns out the new chargers ARE just for looks. THAT IS OKAY WITH ME.
Warhead[97]
2008-07-02, 9:40 PM #21
Whaaat? Wow, I looked it up. Apparently I'm a solid 2 years behind in news on that. I guess they are still producing it as a fleet vehicle. Sorry.

Everybody, turns out the new chargers ARE just for looks. THAT IS OKAY WITH ME.

I hear they tried to get Chargers this year, but it wouldn't fly with admin. Somehow we can afford to buy $9000 camera systems, but can't drop the extra $1-2k/car for Chargers. Go figure..lol
woot!
2008-07-02, 10:56 PM #22
Cops that I've talked to don't like the Charger for anything other than looks.

2008-07-02, 11:03 PM #23
Charger, for looks? Ew.

Now those new challengers on the other hand..
-Martyn
2008-07-02, 11:21 PM #24
Cops that I've talked to don't like the Charger for anything other than looks.

They're faster and handle better than the CVs, but there's not quite as much room..specifically in the trunk.
woot!
2008-07-02, 11:33 PM #25
so if we're looking to get a new charger, get the full hemi and see who beats the cops?
Free Jin!
2008-07-02, 11:33 PM #26
Originally posted by genk:
so if we're looking to get a new charger, get the full hemi and see who beats the cops?

Motorola > Hemi

;)
woot!
2008-07-03, 12:41 AM #27
Quote:
Um, just because the police package engine was more powerful than other engines available to the general population on that particular model of car doesn't make it a higher performing version of that engine.

What? Yes it does. All the mentioned 350 engines (dubbed L05 which is a 5.7 liter TBI engine w/ swirl port heads) were identical with the exception of the camshaft, fuel injectors, and PROM tune. Reg caprice L05 had a peanut cam while the interceptor L05 had the L98 cam which is the same cam that 87-92 Z28/IROCs had as well as 86-91 corvette. This is the engine that was SWAPPED INTO my car. I've since done various additional mods like upgrading to a modern ECM with firmware that doesn't date back to the late 70s like these cars had stock, writing my OWN PROM chips (not that off-the-shelf Hypertech garbage) for increased mileage and performance, headers, full 3" exhaust all the way back, high flow cat, full suspension rebuild, 3.42 posi rear, I could go on and on and on. The car moves fairly well (and my modded 5.7 gets higher than the EPA MPG estimate that the stock 5.0 liter engine had thx to my tune an gearing) but I'm already bored with the power and more is on the way, like I said making power with a chevy small block is easier than my ex gf.

And BTW those Chargers are sick. I have NOT yet decided if I like the new Camaro design yet though. I'll have to see a couple on the road before I decide if I like it. Don't know how I feel about this retro car movement. I'll stick to the originals and buy replacement parts like I would make payments on something new and come out ahead in the end instead of behind, which is what happens when you buy something new.
2008-07-03, 8:40 AM #28
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
What? Yes it does. All the mentioned 350 engines (dubbed L05 which is a 5.7 liter TBI engine w/ swirl port heads) were identical with the exception of the camshaft, fuel injectors, and PROM tune. Reg caprice L05 had a peanut cam while the interceptor L05 had the L98 cam which is the same cam that 87-92 Z28/IROCs had as well as 86-91 corvette. This is the engine that was SWAPPED INTO my car. I've since done various additional mods like upgrading to a modern ECM with firmware that doesn't date back to the late 70s like these cars had stock, writing my OWN PROM chips (not that off-the-shelf Hypertech garbage) for increased mileage and performance, headers, full 3" exhaust all the way back, high flow cat, full suspension rebuild, 3.42 posi rear, I could go on and on and on. The car moves fairly well (and my modded 5.7 gets higher than the EPA MPG estimate that the stock 5.0 liter engine had thx to my tune an gearing) but I'm already bored with the power and more is on the way, like I said making power with a chevy small block is easier than my ex gf.

Dude, I'm definitely not dissing your cars. I have been a fan of the f-body since probably before you were born. My mom had a '67 Firebird she purchased brand new. I currently have two WS6 Trans Ams. A '79 and a '00. Of course the '79s were never referred to as WS6s but what the hell, it has the package.

You have me at a slight disadvantage with regards to your engine because you never stated the year of manufacture. Your posts imply that it is the same year as your car. Generally speaking, however, a police engine may be superior to other engines offered in the car but not superior (maybe equal to) other engines from the same manufacturer. My original point, however, was that cars originally equipped with police packages aren't these mythologically performing supercars. That's all.

They're faster and handle better than the CVs, but there's not quite as much room..specifically in the trunk.

I wouldn't argue that a hemi equipped car isn't faster or better handling but most of the police Chargers I've seen are are six cylinders. You're right on room. Officers I've spoken with say they feel much more crowded inside once their service equipment is installed. Couple that with going from a V8 to a six and there wasn't much left to like except the looks.

2008-07-03, 10:09 AM #29
Let me just say, as the voice of experience, the Chargers are tiny on the inside. Particularly behind the glass. :argh:
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-07-03, 10:35 AM #30
The problem is, the crown vic is amazing. Sure, it's a bit of a boat, but it's so roomy and powerful...and familiar.
Warhead[97]
2008-07-03, 10:56 AM #31
especially if you get it with the plastic back seat installed
Free Jin!
2008-07-03, 12:16 PM #32
Quote:
You have me at a slight disadvantage with regards to your engine because you never stated the year of manufacture. Your posts imply that it is the same year as your car. Generally speaking, however, a police engine may be superior to other engines offered in the car but not superior (maybe equal to) other engines from the same manufacturer. My original point, however, was that cars originally equipped with police packages aren't these mythologically performing supercars. That's all.

Pardon my over-sensitivity regarding my car. Anyway, you're absolutely right. The L05 can't hold a candle to other engines such as the LT1 that GM started offering in 92 in the Vette, 93 in the Camaro, and 94 in the Caprice. However with my modifications it's certainly faster than any factory third generation Camaro be it a Z28, IROC-Z, or Police Package Camaro, few of which were made. Police packages aren't ALWAYS faster than the model offered to the public, but to say that police packages offering extra performance is a myth is simply incorrect.
2008-07-03, 12:20 PM #33
That is a hell of a score. I need a parts jeep for that price...
Warhead[97]
2008-07-03, 12:32 PM #34
Dash, no I don't have my Integra anymore.. now I have a civic and a 31' chevy :)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-07-03, 5:51 PM #35
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
and a 31' chevy :)

elaboration+pics required
2008-07-03, 8:18 PM #36
The problem is, the crown vic is amazing. Sure, it's a bit of a boat, but it's so roomy and powerful...and familiar.

If crap would stop breaking, then sure...
woot!
2008-07-03, 8:27 PM #37
Yeah but things are going to break on everything...I mean, I don't know about impalas specifically but chevys in my experience tend to be real bad about that. I don't know much about dodge cars, though. I don't know, I personally see specific applications for all of them.
Warhead[97]
2008-07-03, 9:01 PM #38
Yeah but things are going to break on everything...I mean, I don't know about impalas specifically but chevys in my experience tend to be real bad about that. I don't know much about dodge cars, though. I don't know, I personally see specific applications for all of them.

Most guys I talk to say that CVs are junk. Then again, transmission problems have started surfacing with the Chargers. Apparently some company (maybe Ford..I don't remember) is designing a car specifically for police - maybe that'll be a better option than either.
woot!
2008-07-03, 9:33 PM #39
Quote:
and a 31' chevy

Hate. Lucky *******.
-Martyn

↑ Up to the top!