Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Your thoughts on movie piracy?
Your thoughts on movie piracy?
2008-07-03, 11:40 PM #41
Yes please. Portal on my mac would make me so happy.
2008-07-04, 6:15 PM #42
So most people here seem to prefer pirating because it's easier and that they're too cheap? Somehow I have the impression that even if you can easily download movies for $2, most people would still prefer to pirate.
2008-07-04, 9:15 PM #43
Are you kidding? Prefer to download some shady torrent that either: contains malware OR, worse, is being tracked by an anti-p2p group and will end up getting you sued.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-07-05, 6:23 AM #44
Not to mention you'd have some guarantee of quality, which to me is huge when I decide to pirate movies. if I could for 2 dollars get a DVDRip quality movie, I would be ALL over that
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-07-05, 7:54 AM #45
I don't have the time to read the entire post so my apologies if I say something that has been covered.

I think that the movie & music industries have been incredibly short-sighted & that they're more responsible for piracy than anyone else. The MPAA & RIAA should have been able to create their own solution in the form of cheap pay-to-download services years ago. There are always going to be pirates but the industries lack of ingenuity is the real culprit here. It didn't take a genius to see how things were going to turn out. People are always going to take the most inexpensive & convenient way of acquiring products. Instead of focusing on lawsuits & attempting to make people think that they're immoral for "stealing" said products, they should be focusing on solutions that actually work. They're finally starting to, but years too late, in my opinion.

I use Netflix myself. It's more convenient for me to acquire & copy movies this way than to download them. The price is reasonable & I generally receive more movies than I can watch in a week. I rarely go to the cinemas because it's too expensive. I'll usually only go to see really important movies.

I think the real solution is for the MPAA to offer straight-to-home movies. Bypass the cinemas & allow people to pay a reasonable fee to watch a new movie from their living room. Many people will still go to the cinemas for a superior experience.
? :)
2008-07-05, 7:55 AM #46
The primary problem is that the free torrents are usually a superior product than what you pay for, same goes for other forms of piracy.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-07-06, 9:26 AM #47
Really though, its not like the movie industry is going to become poor. So what if someone wants a free copy of "Contact". That was a horrid movie anaway.

I personally do not do it, i buy all my DVD's used at a disc replay, and that is where i get all my Cd's and Games...
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2008-07-06, 12:27 PM #48
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
"Contact". That was a horrid movie anaway.

Please obtain a better taste in films.
nope.

↑ Up to the top!