Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Day of Defeat:Source Update
Day of Defeat:Source Update
2008-07-04, 8:55 AM #1
What do people think of the new DoD:S update? They added achievements and nemesis functionality like in TF2. A few of the classes were also tweaked. Game stats were also added to players' Steam account pages.

It seemed like a lot of people playing last night were criticizing the update saying that they would play TF2 if that's what they wanted, but TF2 is a smash hit and DoD:S doesn't get much love. After not playing for a while the game was as fun as ever.

Any thoughts?
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-07-04, 9:00 AM #2
I think they demolished the longevity of the sniper class by going to the BF1942-esque 'kill camera'..
woot!
2008-07-04, 9:37 AM #3
What the hell, kill cam in DOD? That doesn't even make sense. That really blows. I'll try it this weekend, but that sounds like complete ****.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-04, 9:39 AM #4
Originally posted by JediKirby:
What the hell, kill cam in DOD? That doesn't even make sense. That really blows. I'll try it this weekend, but that sounds like complete ****.

http://www.steampowered.com/dod/palermo/

My mistake; it's the "freeze cam"..sucks, doesn't it!
woot!
2008-07-04, 9:44 AM #5
No. That's wrong. Incorrect. DoD obviously isn't "realistic," but the idea is that it's a very strategic game where you're not playing individual vs individual, but group vs group. Part of the game is only knowing a general direction of your attacker, and hoping to score a nade-toss on him next round. That's just a different game entirely.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-04, 9:57 AM #6
I'll try it this weekend

Are you sure you want to?

Theres a free weekend.
nope.
2008-07-04, 1:11 PM #7
No. That's wrong. Incorrect. DoD obviously isn't "realistic," but the idea is that it's a very strategic game where you're not playing individual vs individual, but group vs group. Part of the game is only knowing a general direction of your attacker, and hoping to score a nade-toss on him next round. That's just a different game entirely.

Well, there's always RO if it turns out to suck too much.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-07-04, 3:06 PM #8
most servers will likely disable the kill cam before long
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-07-05, 7:57 AM #9
DoD:S seems a lot more "arcadey" than I remember.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-07-05, 8:03 AM #10
Originally posted by Commander 598:
DoD:S seems a lot more "arcadey" than I remember.

Yeah....I don't remember it being so much like Quake.
woot!
2008-07-05, 9:28 AM #11
The idea of the new additions kind of annoys me, but I have yet to play the update.
2008-07-05, 9:29 AM #12
People still play this game?
2008-07-05, 9:34 AM #13
I play it a lot with my brother, it's great.
2008-07-05, 9:19 PM #14
Played, and it was terrible. Entirely ruins the game.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-06, 10:27 AM #15
I can't count the number of times I watched my team somehow lose in under 30 seconds. This didn't happen the last time I played...in fact I'm pretty sure it was impossible.

So, yeah, goin' back to RO.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-07-06, 1:41 PM #16
Not gonna touch DoD:S until they give riflemen grenades and bring back buttsmacks and bayonets. :colbert:
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2008-07-06, 1:43 PM #17
To be fair the riflemen should probably too out of range to use a grenade.

:P
nope.
2008-07-06, 1:58 PM #18
So how are you guys enjoying Day of Defeat Fortress 2?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-06, 7:43 PM #19
You know what would be hilarious? If that free WW2 BF that's supposed to come out sometime turns out to actually be more realistic than DoD:S.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-07-06, 10:22 PM #20
Originally posted by Acharjay:
Not gonna touch DoD:S until they give riflemen grenades and bring back buttsmacks and bayonets. :colbert:

lol, I misread that as buttsecks for some odd reason :downswords:
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!