Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Digital. analog. tv. whatttt
Digital. analog. tv. whatttt
2008-07-07, 1:47 PM #1
I know TV broadcasting is changing to digital soon but I have no idea if we need a converter. Do all TVs need to have a digital converter? Or does that only apply to some tvs?

The TVs we have arent new so i'd assume we do need to either get a converter or just a new TV.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-07-07, 1:49 PM #2
Do you have bunny ears

links
2008-07-07, 1:49 PM #3
if your tv has an atsc tuner you're good to go. otherwise you need to get one.
2008-07-07, 3:16 PM #4
really only newer HD tv's have the atsc digital tuner
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-07-07, 3:18 PM #5
What do you lot use for the digital switchover since you don't [to my knowledge] have an equivalent of freeview?
nope.
2008-07-07, 3:51 PM #6
MB, if you can connect your tv to cable or satellite with no problem, you don't need to upgrade.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-07-07, 5:40 PM #7
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
MB, if you can connect your tv to cable or satellite with no problem, you don't need to upgrade.

This seems a bit misleading to me...

The basics are, if you have cable or satellite your are fine, whether it is digital or not. If you are using rabbit ears, and/or a roof-antenna you will need a digital to analog converter box.

You can get coupons for $40 off of one these boxes, with a maximum of two coupons per household (one per box).

For more information on the conversion:

http://www.dtv.gov/

For more information on the Coupon Program:

http://www.dtv2009.gov/
2008-07-08, 12:11 AM #8
wondering if you'll eventually need em for cable too, like all the "HD" channels come up as black soundless channels if i flip to them so that confuses me somewhat.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2008-07-08, 12:24 AM #9
You're confused. If you try to tune a channel you aren't paying for, any number of weird things might happen. The converter boxes will only ever be needed for TVs manufactured prior to 1 Mar 07 (or earlier depending on screen size) that were not equipped with an ATSC tuner and even then you will only need the converter if you plan on watching over the air broadcasts. If you are using regular cable you won't have to change a thing. Of course if you are using any type of upgraded cable or satellite service you will still need whatever current hardware is required for your type of service (premium channels, digital cable, satellite receiver, etc.).
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-08, 9:38 AM #10
Most late models (2000+ model) NSTC TVs can hook directly up to cable. Satellite, as far as I know ALWAYS needs a box.

Analog = NSTC
Digital = ASTC

Analog channels are what you are typically used to, single numbers on the range. Digital channels are currently in decimals, and are likely to stay that way so that each station gets multiple broadcasts. For instance, here NBC (channel 5) has their number 5 as analog, and 5.1 as the digital version of 5, except its in HD. They also have 5.2 which is their 24/7 weather channel.

Basically, if you have good reception of major channels on your tv (FOX, NBC, ABC) and you don't get decimal channels, you probably need a tuner box or a new TV. Unless you are using cable TV or Sat, both of which will not be effected by the switch.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"

↑ Up to the top!