Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Does 2008 completely blow for anyone else?
Does 2008 completely blow for anyone else?
2008-07-10, 6:16 PM #1
In mid-January, my mom's mother died from a long-standing illness that she mostly kept to herself, I flew home and we buried her that weekend. A month later grandma's mother passed away. Yesterday morning, dad's mother passed away, only two days after my sister and I drove down for a "just in case" visit before I left for Philmont, although we all thought there were a few more months left. My brother's away working a camp in the Carolinas, and my mom and sister aren't home yet from a trip to NY. None of them know yet. One of dad's uncles is going through his second battle with cancer.

2008 ****ing sucks :(
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-07-10, 6:18 PM #2
Yeah, we've had 3 close, important people die in the last year, and it looks like my grandmother's next.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-10, 6:23 PM #3
2008 has been a rather crap year
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-07-10, 6:25 PM #4
Agreed.

:(
nope.
2008-07-10, 6:28 PM #5
I've rather enjoyed 2008. I broke up with my girlfriend of 5 years that I secretly despised, was promoted at work, met a beautiful young lady from France & took a rather nice vacation. Things are really starting to look up for me in 2008.
? :)
2008-07-10, 6:34 PM #6
we hate you...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-07-10, 6:44 PM #7
Nothing particularly stellar has happened here. All in all, it's been pretty mediocre thus far.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-07-10, 6:47 PM #8
I think 2008 is just going to be another 2007. Ugh.
2008-07-10, 6:47 PM #9
My condolences JediKirby and DarkjediBob. 2008 hasn't been that great of a year for me either. Lately I keep on having thoughts of "where the hell am I going with my life."
2008-07-10, 7:01 PM #10
Even-numbered years suck; odd-numbered years are great. This has held true for me since at least '02.

Come onnnnn 2009
Stuff
2008-07-10, 7:02 PM #11
2008 sucks.

An excerpt from JediKirby's diary :
"Woke up. Still a dwarf. Sucks."

An excerpt from my diary :
"Woke up. Not a dwarf. Sucks."
2008-07-10, 9:28 PM #12
Nothing special, nothing too bad
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-07-10, 9:36 PM #13
My year has been pretty good..
woot!
2008-07-10, 9:37 PM #14
This has probably been the most difficult year of my life.
一个大西瓜
2008-07-10, 10:17 PM #15
I don't know, I've had some great ups and some really low downs already this year - January and February were the worst though.

My mother lost her job because her boss was sleeping with a woman who wanted her territories and she still can't find another job. My mom being my sole supporter and both of us on expensive medications (me for diabetes and my mom for her heart attack) the loss of the income and insurance was rough, and then a week after she lost her job she needed breast surgery because they found a really big pre-cancerous mass. And, of course, no more insurance.

She made an appointment with her cardiologist because she needed his approval for the anesthesia for the surgery and he died in a plane crash less than a week before their appointment.

We've been getting by financially but I've been using outdated test strips and insulin because diabetes is an expensive disease. I've just been to my endocrinologist who tells me that there is, in fact, a reason there's a date on the test strips and my A1c was consequently, terrible. My pump warranty runs out this year so I'm going to need to get a new pump but without insurance it's about 6 grand and the insurance I'm on now has terrible coverage, because it's through my dad's job.

Oh, and my dad took $43,000 from my mom's retirement fund, which shows up as income on my FAFSA and I consequently barely got any financial aid for the coming year and i don't know how we're going to pay for my last year

Before I left school my voice teacher called me a drama queen and my Charm director said I was on a power trip, both of which I am still extremely bitter about but you might have to know more about the circumstances to get either of those.

BUT on the good side:

I took an amazing trip to Vienna, Austria, I have a great summer internship that's PAID, I'm feeling optimistic about my prospects after I finish school this year and about myself in general. I just turned 21. I don't know, I guess it should be a terrible year, but I'm feeling pretty good, so it's not as bad as it really should be. talk to me in November and I may feel differently.

if you don't want to read all of that, just read the first sentence.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-07-10, 10:25 PM #16
Every year blows for me.
2008-07-10, 10:32 PM #17
Originally posted by sugarless5:
/snip/
BUT on the good side:

I took an amazing trip to Vienna, Austria, I have a great summer internship that's PAID, I'm feeling optimistic about my prospects after I finish school this year and about myself in general. I just turned 21. I don't know, I guess it should be a terrible year, but I'm feeling pretty good, so it's not as bad as it really should be. talk to me in November and I may feel differently.

if you don't want to read all of that, just read the first sentence.

Mindset is key- you'll pull through. :)
woot!
2008-07-10, 10:53 PM #18
lets see, this year hasn't really sucked at all, made a year with the girlfriend, quit a job, got a crazier job with less money, and have almost got my 2 year degree done

*shrug*
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-10, 10:58 PM #19
I had high expectation coming into 2008, but it has been a bit of a let down. 2009 is looking better even though it's pratically 6 months away. Still, I sense a disturbance in the force.
2008-07-10, 11:06 PM #20
Originally posted by Mentat:
I've rather enjoyed 2008. I broke up with my girlfriend of 5 years that I secretly despised, was promoted at work, met a beautiful young lady from France & took a rather nice vacation. Things are really starting to look up for me in 2008.

I had a similar experience. My girlfriend and I broke up in December, we had been going out 3.5 years. I had a couple of good experiences in January/February, was mostly alone after that, and then reconnected with a girl that I was friends with in high school but had lost touch with after (I graduated four years ago). We started going out and things have been great, I'm incredibly happy with her.

Other than that things pretty much suck. The tanking auto industry is really hurting the company I work for, they've laid off a ton of staff and there are big changes happening that are going to make my job a lot less pleasant. At least I still have one, though.

I paid a fortune in car repairs this year and for the first time since I started University in 2005 I'm going to have to get a line of credit because I don't think I can cover this year's tuition, but whatever. Three debt-free years of university is more than most people manage.

Oh, and one of the worst things about 2008: gas prices :suicide:
2008-07-11, 1:01 AM #21
Since September of last year things have just gotten progressively worse despite my best efforts to stay optimistic. Many parents/relatives of people I know have died this year...including my own father in May. For me, 2008 is so far a year surrounded by death. But life is looking up though...maybe? I mean...I graduate in December, so that's kind of good. But then again, the economy and the general direction of the country gets me down. Meh...
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2008-07-11, 1:46 AM #22
I've been unemployed since february and I graduated college 2 months ago.
I can't really say it's a "bad" year (free time and all that)
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-07-11, 3:27 AM #23
Hmm. In general, I'd say this year has been rather lame but I think this second half might be a merrier ride.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-07-11, 8:04 AM #24
Meh... I've been in a rut since last November... I need to get back to school
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-11, 9:09 AM #25
Originally posted by kyle90:
Even-numbered years suck; odd-numbered years are great. This has held true for me since at least '02.

Come onnnnn 2009

Yup.

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE WHAT 2012 WILL BRING US OH WAIT LOL

I believe FGR will be right.
2008-07-11, 9:18 AM #26
the world will end in 2012 so that'll suck more.

2008 has sucked a bit for me, been very ill, migraines are getting worse, but still, I'm not losing my hair... yet. :huh:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-07-11, 11:11 AM #27
Mmmm, Atomic Wingstop wings. That makes 2008 better for today.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-11, 11:43 AM #28
This year started miserable, progressed to mediocre, and I'm hoping it reaches good when school starts up again.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2008-07-11, 11:45 AM #29
Been going pretty awesome for me.
2008-07-11, 11:45 AM #30
Aglar: Do you not qualify for OSAP? (you go to school in Windsor, right?) That's how I've financed my entire five years of college.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-07-11, 12:00 PM #31
Originally posted by Aglar:
Oh, and one of the worst things about 2008: gas prices :suicide:

I'm thinking about starting up a small business that repairs small bore hondas for this reason.

The things run forever, there are parts readily available because they're still being made, and most importantly I'm pretty damn good at getting them running.

****, I could probably buy the plans from the company in taiwan that makes then and start pumping out my own 90's.
2008-07-11, 12:04 PM #32
I am actually having a great year. Started a great paying job that I actually enjoy. Moved into a really nice apartment a few weeks ago, and got a new car not too long ago as well. I guess technically it has been a good June-July, as all of this happened in the last 30 days, but the months before this weren't terrible.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2008-07-11, 12:17 PM #33
I was in a relationship and got rid of most of my acne (although individual zits still make an appearance every now and then). I also met Cavey and his lovely girlfriend in real life yesterday. Not a bad year so far.

Edit. I also received Jarre CDs that I ordered from eBay and they were awesome!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-07-11, 1:50 PM #34
2008 is great.

I get to be me for another year.
2008-07-11, 1:55 PM #35
Originally posted by Krokodile:
was

Sorry to hear that.

Originally posted by Tracer:
Aglar: Do you not qualify for OSAP? (you go to school in Windsor, right?) That's how I've financed my entire five years of college.

I haven't actually looked into it, but I seriously doubt it. I live with my parents.
2008-07-11, 2:09 PM #36
Wow. You guys have sucky lives. It's good to be Steven.
2008-07-11, 2:51 PM #37
Originally posted by Steven:
Wow. You guys have sucky lives. It's good to be Steven.

I pray someone would have the decency to put me out of my misery if I were such a narcissist.
2008-07-11, 3:00 PM #38
Whaa whaa whaa, let's all cry for Jay and his crappy life.

[Stop being envious. Green isn't a good color for emokids.]
2008-07-11, 11:25 PM #39
this year has been pretty boring for me
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2008-07-13, 8:56 AM #40
Yeah been pretty **** for me too...

↑ Up to the top!