Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What video would be recommended to use for Doom 3
What video would be recommended to use for Doom 3
2004-08-10, 3:27 PM #1
So far, I have a 1.9 GHz computer with a GeForce4 video card, the processor is good, but somehow, the game lags a bit during a big fight...is something bottlenecking my computer's potential?

------------------
"I gotta fart, but I don't know which way to lean"
2004-08-10, 3:36 PM #2
It's your processor bottlenecking, most likely. The GF4 runs the game beautifull 800x600 medium, maybe 1024x768 medium (I wouldn't try for high). Also how much RAM do you have?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-10, 3:40 PM #3
What kind of GF4? and on what settings were you trying to run Doom 3?

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-10, 5:41 PM #4
My computer is:
AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2600
1,91GHz
1.00GB of RAM

I ran it at high settings, with the anti-thingy, to smoothen edges, but i left the resolution as is...i also changed the cache megs, because I read something on the net that says it'll make a noticable change in smoothness

------------------
2004-08-10, 5:50 PM #5
Turn of anti-aliasing definitely. That will cause your biggest hit in performance. Also maybe turn off shadows.

I played through the entire game on my 3 GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, and TI 4200 (overclocked quite a bit though) at 1024x768 medium with completely smooth framerates throughout the whole game. (I seriously never witnessed an instant where the framerate dropped to a level where it wasn't smooth.) I could to an extent even run it at 1280x1024 medium, but there were some instances of unsmooth framerates so I opted to take it down a notch.
2004-08-10, 5:53 PM #6
I don't think you can really aim to run it on high detail with a GF4. It's not really powerful enough to deal with that level of texture detail....especially with AA. No matter what res. An AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2600 is ok still and so it 1 GB of ram.....so yeah your video card is the bottleneck.

The topline Nvidia cards currently run Doom 3 the best....though it really runs quite well on top ATI cards too.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

↑ Up to the top!