Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hellboy 2
Hellboy 2
2008-07-11, 7:42 PM #1
I hope people aren't overlooking this film due to the Dark Knight. It's a fun film, much better than the first. This is coming from someone who thought the first film was good, but nothing more. Action sequences (especially the special effects) in this film is much more exciting to watch and you have more interesting new characters. The villain in particular isn't a cookie cutter evil Prince, in some ways you can sympathize with Prince Nuada (not to mention his badass handling of the spear). My only real complaint is that the screenplay could better. There were some lines that didn't feel right (mainly the punch lines).

Hopefully it will do good enough that there will be a third movie, which inevitably will probably be about Hellboy's destiny. By the way, I never thought Hellboy's reproduction system would be exactly the same as that of a human
2008-07-11, 8:27 PM #2
You see his man-berries? Sick.

Edit: Is it just me, or does anyone else think the bad guy looks the same as the bad guy from FF7?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2008-07-11, 8:38 PM #3
I think I liked the first one better overall, but I enjoyed this one.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2008-07-11, 9:17 PM #4
I almost watched it today but decided to go with Hancock instead. Not because I don't want to see it but because with a 2.5 year old it's better to go with a movie that has been out a little longer. Less people.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-11, 9:59 PM #5
It was so awesome. The two fight scenes between Hellboy and the Prince were amazing.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-12, 12:50 AM #6
Quote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the bad guy looks the same as the bad guy from FF7?

Thats what I first thought when I saw the preview. The guy form advent children.

I haven't seen this movie yet, and honestly when I saw the preview in the theaters when I saw indy, I thought it was a totally new scifi movie until Hellboy came out in the end. Never had an interest in hellboy, but the visual design in this movie will defenitely get me to watch it. Some of the scenery/creatures look amazing.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-12, 1:13 AM #7
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I almost watched it today but decided to go with Hancock instead. Not because I don't want to see it but because with a 2.5 year old it's better to go with a movie that has been out a little longer. Less people.

I doubt these movies are appropriate for a 2.5 year old...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-07-12, 4:00 AM #8
I don't think a 2.5 year old would really be impacted.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-12, 5:17 AM #9
I saw it Thursday at midnight and I lurrrrrrved it. 100% Del Toro badassery. You can tell that they gave him a lot more control over this film than the first Hellboy flick. It SCREAMS Post-Labyrinth.
Think while it's still legal.
2008-07-12, 9:19 PM #10
Just got back from it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see how one would ge he Sephiroth vibe, but I really didn't. The 'villain' was definitely sympathetic and I found the showdown very touching.

Only real 'complaint' was that the Johann Krauss fellow seemed completely irrelevant, he didn't add anything to the film that anybody else could have done just as easily aside from seeming to be an excuse for More Gears. I understand he's a lot bigger character in the comics, but in this he felt, well, vapid and unnecessary. I've been googling around a bit and I can't find any reference tohim having had a wife in the comics, either, was that added in? Particularly his telling off the head guy at the end seemed very out of character.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2008-07-12, 9:40 PM #11
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I doubt these movies are appropriate for a 2.5 year old...

So don't take yours to them.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-13, 1:06 PM #12
I wasn't a big fan of the first one. Hellboy II is definitely better, but the characters don't really do it for me.

So why exactly did they all quit at the end of the movie?
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-07-13, 1:30 PM #13
To me, Hellboy is just one of those franchises that grows on you. Gets better with time.

2008-07-13, 2:10 PM #14
The bad guy from FF7?

The guy from Advent Children?

HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO SEPHIROTH IS?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-07-13, 2:35 PM #15
I never played FF much because I spent my childhood video game time playing real adventure games. v:)v
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-07-13, 3:30 PM #16
He doesnt look like Sephiroth he looks like one of the Sephiroth "clones". Of the three he looks like the leader, of which I do not remember his name. He looks nothing like Sephiroth.

Quote:
I never played FF much because I spent my childhood video game time playing real adventure games.

you missed out bro.
-Martyn
2008-07-13, 3:56 PM #17
He reminded me of Drizzt.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-13, 4:40 PM #18
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
you missed out bro.

I started to play FF7 and FF8, only to realize they were completely ridiculous and went back to playing something of substance.
2008-07-13, 4:41 PM #19
Also Hellboy 2 was pretty :awesome: for the most part. I agree about them quitting being odd, and about Johann's out of character behavior at the end.
2008-07-13, 4:43 PM #20
Originally posted by Emon:
I started to play FF7 and FF8, only to realize they were completely ridiculous and went back to playing something of substance.

/me shoots emon in the foot.

(oh and I never played FF8)
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-07-13, 4:54 PM #21
Originally posted by Bobbert:
So why exactly did they all quit at the end of the movie?

The Bureau was more concerned with bringing the crown piece to Nuada and then killing him. In contrast, Liz and Abe are reluctant to kill Nuada. Killing Nuada for Liz means they wouldn't be able to find out how to remove the spear's tip from Hellboy, while killing Nuada for Abe means the Princess will die. So basically they're pissed that the Bureau disregarded Hellboy's life.
2008-07-13, 10:05 PM #22
FF8 was more of a mushy type of game, defenitely not AS epic as FF7 was, but still has epic elements to it. Its still a classic in its own right. I'd give it a try if I were you.
-Martyn

↑ Up to the top!