Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Copy/paste between two computers?
Copy/paste between two computers?
2008-07-12, 11:40 PM #1
So, I've got a laptop and a desktop. Both sit next to each other, but i leave one pretty much on for IRC and use the other one for browsing or gaming. Both Windows, Both on the same network

The trouble is I'll find links on the browsing computer and want to put them into the chat.

what I'm looking for is a program that'll share a copy/paste function, like through a hotkey or right click menu item.

any programs made for this use? besides IM/Email/text file transfer

i just want something that is about as easy to do as copy and paste regularly, what i've found is Linux
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-12, 11:47 PM #2
You want Synergy.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-07-12, 11:51 PM #3
Originally posted by Emon:
You want Synergy.

Dammit. You beat me to it. What he said.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2008-07-12, 11:54 PM #4
i would do that but what happens when i'm playing a fullscreen game on one and the other needs my attention? i don't mind the two sets of peripherals i have to use currently
Free Jin!
2008-07-13, 12:18 AM #5
In no way exactly what you're asking about but you could just create a shortcut to the desktop of the irc laptop. Right click the link that you want to copy and "copy shortcut". Then, with a small window open to the laptop desktop, right click and paste shortcut. Then, do what you need to with it on the laptop.

You could also place a shortcut to the laptop desktop in your "send to" folder. Then right click and "send to" files directly to the laptop.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-13, 1:03 AM #6
You could always create a remote desktop session of your browsing computer on your IRC computer.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2008-07-13, 1:17 AM #7
this is pretty much it

now i think i just need to get my laptop and desktop's networking to play nice together for it to work
D:
Free Jin!
2008-07-13, 3:05 AM #8
Originally posted by genk:
i would do that but what happens when i'm playing a fullscreen game on one and the other needs my attention? i don't mind the two sets of peripherals i have to use currently

With Synergy you can still use both sets of peripherals as well. Usually when you are fullscreen gaming with Synergy, you press a key (Scroll lock is default I think) to lock the keyboard and mouse the current computer.

Although, NetPaste does look like a better fit for your needs.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-07-13, 1:12 PM #9
Originally posted by Emon:
You want Synergy.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!
I've got my beamer hooked up to my desktop computer and was looking for a simple way of controlling it with my laptop. Though I have a nice wireless mouse I still needed a keyboard, but this is so much better.

Thank you!
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!