Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [Tech] Display Performance Issues
[Tech] Display Performance Issues
2008-07-13, 8:57 AM #1
Background: I've got a PC at work that has dual monitors. This PC was recently replaced with a slightly new model (but still not very new) due to some issues with my first PC not being able to boot into Windows. This replacement PC had Windows reinstalled on it.

Issue: Since the PC was replaced, when I minimize, restore, or maximize applications during the animation that occurs when these functions are occurring, I cannot move the mouse. I also use an application that, when you hit the X on the window it minimizes to the system tray using the same minimize animation and when you restore it uses the restore animation. Of course, during these processes the same issue occurs.

Now this issue can prove very difficult to work through because I'm constantly moving windows around, minimizing, etc..

Here's the PC Configration:

Dell Optiplex GX280
Pentium 4 3.0GHz with HyperThreading enabled
1024 MB of DDR RAM (I believe the memory is DDR 266, but I really am not certain right now)
Windows XP Professional SP2, joined to an Active Directory domain
I have the theme set to the WIndows Classic theme
The Virtual Memory Paging File is stored on C, with a minimum size of 1536 MB, and a maximum of 3073MB
Video card is (now) an nVidia Quadro NVS 290 on a PCI-E slot, with a DVI output, that has a Y cable that splits the signal into 2 VGA ports to allow for dual monitor support.

Additional Info: I'm using the nVidia drivers, and thus am able to take advantage of its Horizontal Span issues (which treats the 2 monitors as one large monitor, where the task bar spans both screens, as do any additional toolbars I move to the top of my screen) This also allows for any maximized windows to span both screens as well. To prevent this we use the nVidia Desktop Manager, which prevents the windows from being able to span, except for certain applications I setup exceptions for (such as our remote assistance tools). This issue ONLY occurs when the nVidia Desktop Manager is enabled.

I can't disable the Desktop Manager and leave Horizontal Span on, because my applications will span both monitors, which is counter-productive. I can remove the horizontal span and set the monitors up with the normal view (DualView), but then our remote assistance can't span both windows, and neither can my task bar, or custom toolbars. The remote assistance is necessary to span both screens, which kind of puts that out.

Here's where you guys come in. I want to know if any of you have any ideas to help me meet one of the following goals (in order of preference)

1. Help me determine what's causing the mouse to freeze during these animations. I've done everything I can think of. This would be my preferred option, because I don't like workarounds, plus could be easier, but i'll take what i can get.

Or

2. Help me find a way to get my task bar, and custom toolbars to span both monitors, as well as allow for specific applications to span both monitors, but not all.

Here's what I've done so far:

I originally had a Quadro NVS 280 PCI-E card
I moved the 280 and my hard drive to another 280, so all the other hardware (except video cables) were different.
I swapped the video card to a Quadro NVS 290 from another PC that wasn't using it
With the 290 I've only used the latest 169.96 Drivers
When I disable the menu transition affect it seems to have helped with minimzing and maximizing, but anything that minimizes to my system tray still has the same issue. The exact same is true if I enable the option in the Desktop Manager to "make windows minimize and maximize faster". This is OK, but since it still happens when I minimize stuff to the tray (not all of which has the option to disable minimize to tray) it still proves very annoying.
Enabled and disabled numerous options in Windows and the Desktop Manager for performance and display settings (including changing the Windows theme from Windows Classic to XP Blue)

I don't care if I have to use drivers that aren't official nVidia Drivers, or if I use third party applications, or even build my own (I know VB) that will allow this.

If it's a third part app I am willing to pay a small price if necessary, if it's an application that I can install on other PCs if I ever have to change PCs, or jobs.

So far I haven't found any third party apps that do what I need. The best I've found are MultiMon and UltraMon, but those just help with the task bar, and I don't particularly care for either application.

I haven't found anything useful when I tried looking for assistance with building a VB app that would help control the size of applications when maximized either.

Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, having the PC rebuilt is not an option right now as it would take far too long (It took about 5 hours for my PC to be built when it was replaced prior to all of this occurring), and generally not something I can just request to be done right now.
2008-07-14, 11:51 AM #2
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-07-14, 1:56 PM #3
Ultramon is far superior to the nVidia drivers, I suggest you suck it up and use it. :colbert:

↑ Up to the top!