Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Now thats fast.
Now thats fast.
2008-07-13, 9:59 PM #1
OK, so this question is totally a theoretical "in a perfect world" scenario type question here. And since we have a really computer smart community here at massassi I figure who better to ask?

Say I was a very very rich person, and I wanted to have an OC-768 connection for my home, because I am an extremeist. Is this physicially possible supposing I lived within range of a providers network? If not please explain, I am somewhat new to the fiberoptic network thing. I know I jumped on the boat late.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-13, 11:24 PM #2
They'd have to run the fiber to your house, which even being rich would be pretty much out of the question.

Not to mention getting yourself an OC-768 line would be ridiculous overkill as most all webservers only have 10/100mbit ports, FAR below the OC-768 line. Thus, you'd be capped by their speeds.
2008-07-13, 11:34 PM #3
just go to RIT with its OC3 tubes to the internets

D:
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-13, 11:35 PM #4
Quote:
as most all webservers only have 10/100mbit ports, FAR below the OC-768 line. Thus, you'd be capped by their speeds.

oh yeah, I didn't think about that one. Damn.

Overkill but just think. no lag.

realisticially speaking though, it is possible to geta T3 line to your house correct?
-Martyn
2008-07-13, 11:36 PM #5
Quote:
just go to RIT with its OC3 tubes to the internets

D:

I live 10 minutes from there hahaha
-Martyn
2008-07-14, 2:26 AM #6
The benefit of lines that fat are that lots of people can use them at the same time. There's pretty much NO way you could use that much pipe by yourself.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-07-14, 7:49 AM #7
Originally posted by Onimusha.:

Not necessarily. Bandwidth != latency.
2008-07-14, 7:51 AM #8
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
oh yeah, I didn't think about that one. Damn.

You'll only have no lag up until the point where the OC line terminates, then you're right back into the usual crap again.
2008-07-14, 10:13 AM #9
Actually it is possible to be able to fully utilize it. How you might ask? Bit-torrent. No single connection would probably even exceed 10mbits/sec but the combination of multiple connections would allow you to download things super fast.

From a gaming aspect. It would be overkill. As was stated before latency != bandwidth. Your latency is pretty much determined by how many router jumps you have to make. Though, you would make an excellent server because you could support a lot of players.
:) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) Im Happy
2008-07-14, 10:23 AM #10
Who gets lag these days anyways? Anything under an 80 ping is nearly perfect for a FPS game. When I play at my friends house we typically get below 50 ping (four of us sharing a connection to the same server) and never have lag issues.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-14, 11:38 AM #11
I think it'd be fairly inconvenient to have sole ownership over a level 2 ISP.
2008-07-14, 11:55 AM #12
hahaha
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-14, 12:16 PM #13
Getting a ping of 3 is the oddest feeling when you're in the next room to the server. A ping of 15 when the server is down the street in the next college's computer lab. I miss Chicago.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-14, 1:35 PM #14
there was a company in ottawa (maybe they still are, i don't live there anymore) that, if you lived in a newer (less than 5 years old) development, they would put fibre to your door for $5000.
2008-07-16, 11:41 AM #15
In Hong Kong they give you a fiber optic connection @ 40mb/s for about 40 dollars CAD/ month :P
\(='_'=)/

↑ Up to the top!